Cleveland Releases Black Irons

It does, and again, just like with the black driver, you are getting a premium shaft as stock. I really think you need to take that into consideration. JMO

I dont think most people realize that shaft option it comes with. I was sold very quickly on the graphite in the Black Irons, I liked them a lot, and honestly, it's worth paying the premium price for them.

Titanium face? Did you guys notice much difference between the Black irons and the CG16's in terms of feel and sound?

I had a titanium face on some 845s. Those were very soft feeling irons

Titanium face? Did you guys notice much difference between the Black irons and the CG16's in terms of feel and sound?

Hawk, I have not hit the CG16s, so I am can not compare the two. But in terms of feel and sound of the Black Irons, it was nice. The feel at impact had a very nice soft feel to it, and the sound was a very muted click, a nice sound, not harsh by any means. I really liked these irons...a lot. I hit them great right off the bat, and I was seeing comparable distance to my Burner 2.0s.

Yea, I'd imagine they are pretty long. One thing I loved about the CG16's was they had a really soft sound at impact. It sounds like these may be along the same lines in a better looking package.

this is why I love the CG16's.....but if the Blacks have that titanium face I can't imagine how the ball would come off it!

Hawk, I have not hit the CG16s, so I am can not compare the two. But in terms of feel and sound of the Black Irons, it was nice. The feel at impact had a very nice soft feel to it, and the sound was a very muted click, a nice sound, not harsh by any means. I really liked these irons...a lot. I hit them great right off the bat, and I was seeing comparable distance to my Burner 2.0s.

Yea, I'd imagine they are pretty long. One thing I loved about the CG16's was they had a really soft sound at impact. It sounds like these may be along the same lines in a better looking package.

The sound is definitely different, but due to the fact that I am comparing the graphite shafts to the steel shafts, it is hard to compare feel. The sound is a more full sound that is noticeably deeper at impact.

The sound is definitely different, but due to the fact that I am comparing the graphite shafts to the steel shafts, it is hard to compare feel. The sound is a more full sound that is noticeably deeper at impact.

I actually really like the sound of that. May can't come soon enough.

I saw these irons on Friday when our sales rep visited. I wish I had taken pictures but didn't know he was bringing all his new gear to show us. These irons have a titanium face which I found looked/felt interesting. If I remember correctly, they are going to be a bit pricey at $899 steel $999 graphite for a set of 7. Can't wait to try them out.

sigh....While I knew they would probably be this much in Graphite, I was hoping for a couple hundred less....
I might have to play seconds again and upgrade my CG7's to CG16's when someone dumps their 16's to go to Blacks......

This was going to be my test at getting back into graphite irons....

As someone with a slower tempo, this set is really piquing my interest. Sorry if I skipped this, but what are the iron lengths like? I assume they are longer clubs, like the Black driver, which concerns me a bit as I'm not willing to trade accuracy for distance at this point.

However, I'm curious as to why war eagle would be more accurate with these than the burners. JB, even you said you may be more accurate with these. Didn't really expect to hear that.

As for the price, I say if they work as advertised it's worth it as they are still in the ballpark for a good set. The Cally xf's on the other hand...

JB, would you still say steel shafts give better feedback than these graphite?

Never tried them with steel shafts, so I cannot compare.

As someone with a slower tempo, this set is really piquing my interest. Sorry if I skipped this, but what are the iron lengths like? I assume they are longer clubs, like the Black driver, which concerns me a bit as I'm not willing to trade accuracy for distance at this point.

However, I'm curious as to why war eagle would be more accurate with these than the burners. JB, even you said you may be more accurate with these. Didn't really expect to hear that.

As for the price, I say if they work as advertised it's worth it as they are still in the ballpark for a good set. The Cally xf's on the other hand...

JB, would you still say steel shafts give better feedback than these graphite?

JB can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these were slightly shorter than the 2.0s, its been a few weeks since I have hit them so I can not recall 100%. As far as accuracy goes, my thoughts on this is related to having a smoother transition to my downswing and getting my swing on a better plane. The Black Irons w/ the Miya graphites in them had a very nice feel throughout the swing, and just overall made for a nice smooth swing. When it comes to the Black line, I think people are trying to focus too much on the club head, and are forgetting how important of a factor the shaft is in a club.

Will these be available with different lie angles? I currently play Ping G15 orange dot which is 2 degrees flat.

Thanks

Will these be available with different lie angles? I currently play Ping G15 orange dot which is 2 degrees flat.

Thanks

You could have them bent before purchasing very easily.

Had the 8-PW of the Black Irons out on the course today, and got to use them a good bit. I really liked the irons from the start when I hit them a few weeks back, was really surprised how easy it was to pick up an iron I had never hit before, with a graphite shaft and hit it well. That continued for me today, as I was able to pull off some very nice shots with the Black irons. The distance I was getting out of them was significantly longer than the irons I had been playing. I tend to aim left of my target, and let my fade bring the ball back to where I need it to go, but just as with the Black Driver, they just go dead straight for me. Biggest challenge I have is to remind myself to line up right on line with my target, rather than slightly left of it.

I know a few people have questioned the price point on this set. It is up there, but with the high end Miya shaft, the price is definitely worth it.

I think that falls in close with a few others sets right now, no?

I suppose it does, and the truth is, if I'm half as serious about golf as I say I am, then that shouldn't be enough to hold me off from trying and potentially purchasing a set. With the quality from tech to shaft, it really is comparable to other high-end offerings.

I suppose it does, and the truth is, if I'm half as serious about golf as I say I am, then that shouldn't be enough to hold me off from trying and potentially purchasing a set. With the quality from tech to shaft, it really is comparable to other high-end offerings.

That's what a lot of people arent realizing. They come stock with the high end shafts, that absolutely work great with the tech behind the club head.

Good stuff WE, did you find yourself more accurate with these than you thought you'd be once you got the alignment figured out?

Had the 8-PW of the Black Irons out on the course today, and got to use them a good bit. I really liked the irons from the start when I hit them a few weeks back, was really surprised how easy it was to pick up an iron I had never hit before, with a graphite shaft and hit it well. That continued for me today, as I was able to pull off some very nice shots with the Black irons. The distance I was getting out of them was significantly longer than the irons I had been playing. I tend to aim left of my target, and let my fade bring the ball back to where I need it to go, but just as with the Black Driver, they just go dead straight for me. Biggest challenge I have is to remind myself to line up right on line with my target, rather than slightly left of it.

I know a few people have questioned the price point on this set. It is up there, but with the high end Miya shaft, the price is definitely worth it.

Good stuff WE, did you find yourself more accurate with these than you thought you'd be once you got the alignment figured out?

Once I started aligning myself correctly, I was hitting some great shots. Two shots come to mind, on the 9th hole, 150 or so from the pin. Hit the 8 iron and aimed left of the pin. Hit a great shot, dead straight and missed the green to the left. On the back 9, I was roughly 120 from the green...I lined up with the Black PW and aimed dead at the pin and hit a great shot leaving it just short of the pin, right on target.

With the graphite Miya's in them, all the Black irons need is a smooth swing, and they will get it done.

That's what a lot of people arent realizing. They come stock with the high end shafts, that absolutely work great with the tech behind the club head.

With the graphite Miya's in them, all the Black irons need is a smooth swing, and they will get it done.

I think this is what intrigues me the most. My swing (and results) are much better with a smooth swing with a nice tempo pause at the top. For a short while I had a set of graphite-shafted mid-range Nicklaus irons and if not for the regular flex shaft, I felt like they helped me keep a nice rhythm - and those were not even close to premium graphite, even further from today's premium. These and much of Cleveland's other gear is on my must try of 2012.

Thanks for the update WE. It seems like it is taking forever for Nov. 15th to come around.

Thanks for the update WE. It seems like it is taking forever for Nov. 15th to come around.

I agree, they days are just crawling by.

Me too. They whole collection and 588s look great!

Tapatalk

Must not pre-order, must not pre-order.

Back