Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Paulo - glad to hear that you seem to be figuring out the hits off the heel issue. Any chance that getting that baby draw back had to do with going from grass to mats?

I wondered this. But thinking back, I was seeing similar results from the grass when I tried it out. I didn't get the chance to hit too many from the grass though. I can usually tell when I'm slightly off on the mats too, due to the sore wrists etc, but it really felt like I was hitting them clean last night. The hits were still towards the heel, but no hosel rockets this time!

I guess I should get out on the grass to make sure though. Fingers crossed for the weather this week!

I used to hook like crazy off of mats. Not sure why, but it used to be the only place I could do it.

Sounds like you have quite a dillema, paulo. Aside from cost, there shouldn't be much trouble getting them bent. Might be worth it just to settle your mind.

I used to hook like crazy off of mats. Not sure why, but it used to be the only place I could do it.

Sounds like you have quite a dillema, paulo. Aside from cost, there shouldn't be much trouble getting them bent. Might be worth it just to settle your mind.

I used to find that a heavy hit on a mat could result in a hook, as the club bounces and impacts.

It's a dilemma, but not a big one really. It's relatively cheap to have the irons bent. I just want to make sure if I do it, I'm doing it at the right time, so I can get the most out of this testing and my practice. I think doing this might give me another angle on the testing process.

How has your more, less, or the same number of GIR's since bagging the Nike's?

My GIR prior to the Nikes was 39%. Since I got the Nikes's it is 46.4%. I've seen a pretty big improvement in that stat. I've had some real bad days were I've hit 2-4 GIR's which kills my overall stats. On a normal day I'm hitting around 50-55%.

My GIR prior to the Nikes was 39%. Since I got the Nikes's it is 46.4%. I've seen a pretty big improvement in that stat. I've had some real bad days were I've hit 2-4 GIR's which kills my overall stats. On a normal day I'm hitting around 50-55%.

Was the 39% with the D11s? That is a nice increase.

It was with the Di11's and Ping G15's

Wow that is cool that it went up with more of a players iron. Nice job. Do you think you practiced more or what attributed to the increase?

Wow that is cool that it went up with more of a players iron. Nice job. Do you think you practiced more or what attributed to the increase?

I think I've practiced the same. I think that I'm pretty comfortable with this style of iron. I had some MB's prior to the G15's and I played pretty well with those.

Really good stat and observation Chunky. Really cool to hear that these clubs have had a direct statistical impact and improvement on your game. We always think we are getting better with new gear, but when you have the numbers to really back it up, the confidence must sky rocket!!!

Really good stat and observation Chunky. Really cool to hear that these clubs have had a direct statistical impact and improvement on your game. We always think we are getting better with new gear, but when you have the numbers to really back it up, the confidence must sky rocket!!!

It's funny because I have more confidence in the 4I in this set then the 4I in the Di11's. For some reason I really struggled with that iron but with the PC's I've hit the 4I pretty well. The 3I on the other hand.....

It's funny because I have more confidence in the 4I in this set then the 4I in the Di11's. For some reason I really struggled with that iron but with the PC's I've hit the 4I pretty well. The 3I on the other hand.....

Do you think the Nikes have less offset? That might make a difference.

Yeah but having confidence in a 4 iron is HUGE. To me, that is the longest iron anyone needs who isn't on tour hahaha. And if you weren't testing, that is absolutely a club you would replace with a hybrid (as many many people obviously would too).

Nike's definitely have less offset.

Speaking of that - don't think I asked you this yet- would you replace the 3 iron with a hybrid if you weren't testing? Or would you normally even carry a 3 iron?

Yeah but having confidence in a 4 iron is HUGE. To me, that is the longest iron anyone needs who isn't on tour hahaha. And if you weren't testing, that is absolutely a club you would replace with a hybrid (as many many people obviously would too).

I agree.

Speaking of that - don't think I asked you this yet- would you replace the 3 iron with a hybrid if you weren't testing? Or would you normally even carry a 3 iron?

I will not carry a 3I and I'm strongly considering going to a 4H as well.

Interesting. Even with the way you have been hitting the 4I?

I feel like I can be more consistent with a hybrid from off the deck.

I feel like I can be more consistent with a hybrid from off the deck.

Cool to know. And obviously that would be the normal situation when hitting the 4 iron- unless you play a course with really really long par 3's haha.

Cool to know. And obviously that would be the normal situation when hitting the 4 iron- unless you play a course with really really long par 3's haha.

I did play a round a few weeks ago with all the par 3's right at 185-200. Pretty much 3/4I territory for me. That was not pretty although the misses were close to the green

That's a really nice increase, Chunky. Thanks for sharing.

Well, if I can avoid being a moron and not forget everything I want to test when I actually get to the course then I will get some solid testing in today in windy conditions.

Planning on walking 18 today (leaving in a few hours) and winds are constant 20 MPH with gusts to 35 MPH. Hope to really work on flighting some shots down and getting a better gauge on distances when going directly into the wind.

Test Date: 11/2/2011
Testing Club: Nike VR Pro Combo irons
Testing Purpose: 9 holes played
My Club: I am using the testing clubs but my prior set was the Cobra S9's
Ball Used: TaylorMade Penta TP
Environment: Texas - 78 degrees, 20-25 MPH south wind gusting to 30-35 MPH

Hello everybody! Headed out yesterday afternoon to walk 9 with the sole purpose of testing knockdown shots into the wind. The first 3 holes are the only holes going south on the front 9 so they were the only ones directly into the wind so I want to focus on those 3 holes today and what I saw.

Hole 1 - 497 yard par 5: Hopped out of the car and was swinging off the first tee within 5 minutes...no warmup (oops). Push drive just down the right side and trees are now blocking me from having an approach down the middle of the FW. I take my 5 iron and just try to advance it as far down the left side as I can. Since I was hitting into the wind at an angle it really pushed the shot backwards and further left than I wanted. I was still left with 260 to the green. I then took my 6 iron to try and get it up to the 120-130 area but failed to think about proper shot mechanics and hit a standard shot which ballooned on me into the wind as I failed to hit a knock down shot. Since I was hitting that shot from the left side of the FW the ball really got pushed to the right by the wind so I am left with 135 to the flag. I take the 6 iron again and had it in the middle of my stance and while online it comes up 7 yards short as I did not play the correct swing to keep it down. Poor chip up and 2 putts leaves me with a double.

(As you can tell, my head was not in the game on the first hole - played military golf on that hole and I was not happy)

Hole 2 - 401 yard par 4: Hit my drive ok but pushed it down the right side again and am blocked from having a full approach into the green. I am about 210 out so I just take a 5 iron to get me back into solid play. Ball in the back of my stance little half swing and hit a perfect little punch shot that gets me to 128 out in the middle of the FW. Wind is still blowing like crazy so I go 2 clubs up and grab the 7 iron. Ball in the back of my stance with an abbreviated swing and hit my shot of the day - perfect penetrating flight and the ball lands 3 feet left of the pin and ends up 5 feet away and I proceed to miss the par putt.

Shot result:
IMG_0113.jpg

Check out the spin created by these irons and the ability to stop a low ball flight so quickly - impressive!!
IMG_0114.jpg

Hole 3 - 146 yard par 3: Cue video!

With that said, I am extremely pleased with my ability to flight the ball down with these irons into such strong winds instead of just battling it with ballooning the shot and hoping it gets there! This is a shot that I feel quite confident in now and have the feeling I will get to use it this weekend in the club championship.

Final tallies on the day:

Score: 42 (par 36)
1 double, 4 bogeys, 4 pars
4/6 FW's
4/9 GIR
18 putts (2 putted every green and missed 3 birdies within 20 feet and 2 pars within 8 feet)

MC, that's a heck of a shot, especially with the winds you have been talking about.

I like that you decided to hit a punch shot to get yourself set up for a good third rather than risking it and going for it from 200+ out in crazy winds. This is something I have been working on, and it really prevents the big numbers on some holes for me. Good job on playing it safe, very nice hole in those conditions!

Haven't checked in on this thread in a while. You guys are awesome reviewers! Glad to hear these clubs are performing well. Love the combo set concept.

Back