Importance of the Putter?

JiffishHank

Reaction score
Handicap
For quite some time I've been playing some old clubs handed to me from my grandpa. While I've finally replaced the irons, I have yet to replace the driver and putter and woods. While I know replacing the driver/woods can make a huge difference, how important is replacing the putter? What would the difference be between a putter that's around 15-20 years old and a modern (and fairly priced) putter? Would investing $100-150 in a new putter be worth it? I'm not a very good golfer, normally shoot in the high 90's. I feel like at where I'm at, buying a new putter might not be the best choice for me? Would it really make that big of a difference? I have briefly tried out a few and while they look MUCH nicer, I wasn't really able to get much of an impression on them.

you can putt great with an old and cheap putter, newer and more expensive won't drop more putts unless the design fits your eye or stroke better

you may have some improvement by trying different styles, seeing what style works for you
the right style can help with your distance control and alignment, but more $$$$ doesn't mean it's going to make you putt better than a cheap putter

Getting fitted for a putter to your specs can make a major difference. As for just buying a new putter vs a old putter, I wouldn't say it makes much of a difference without getting fitted for lie/loft/length/etc.

Newer putters tend to have a higher MOI which means they won't twist as much on off centre strikes. I like my 2 ball. Having said that, if you buy a new putter and don't spend any time on the practice green or rolling putts in your house, the improvement in score will probably not be significant.

My concern with getting fitted for a new putter is that since I'm such a high handicap, I'm looking to improve immensely over the course of the summer. If I get fitted for it now, would it become almost detrimental as I improve? I myself don't know what my tendencies are when I putt, I guess getting fitted would help this?

Of course simply buying a new and expensive putter won't turn me into some kind of putting guru. If only it were that easy :p

Quickest way to shave strokes is to get a better short game. And putting is a big part of that. I'd spend the money unless you're putting really well with the putter you currently game.

You should be okay, unless you have poor posture (which the fitter would address) your stroke shouldn't change much at all. There really isn't a right or wrong way to put it's all personal preference so to say as you get better your stroke will change would not make much sense. You should be good with a putter until your stroke forever unless you want something new or your putting stroke somehow changes unintentionally.

If you are asking this question, then it's obvious you have never had a putter that fits you, cause when you do, the putter becomes your favorite club in the bag.

Do a putter fitting, find one that fits your style, and you will understand how important it is.

It seems like you're speaking of the technology here, and in that aspect, I'm not sure how much any new putter that isn't a good fit for you would help you. Like everyone has said, a fitted putter is probably best. So I'd go with that.

Back