16 at Olympic Club to Receive New Tee

Darren K.

Pittsburgh Panther
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.3
"A new tee will be in place for the Open that will make this par 5 the longest hole in Open history at 670 yards."

getImage.gif

Now THAT'S a par 5... :bulgy-eyes:

That is crazy. I don't know if I could ever get there. Longest par 5 I have ever played was #6 at Old South in MD it was 622.

I cant wait to see them play it. I bet the scores may even be better than normal 5's because they wont be going for it in two. Well some of the long knockers probably still will.

That's just crazy. I would struggle to reach that in 4 some days.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Fortunately is sets up for a draw for the long knockers. :D

That is a crazy long hole, look forward to seeing how it plays out at the US Open.

From 16 to 17(both par 5s) players will see a difference of almost 150 yards.

Bubba will have to dig deep into the bag now. Might have to go Driver/ 8I now

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Epic length on that hole. Tiger puts it in trees while trying to torque one up

I don't know how this will play because of the prevailing winds, etc but if they have a Par 5 that is simply unreachable that's pretty stupid. The whole point of a par 5 is risk reward going for them in 2 if you have a good tee ball.

I don't know how this will play because of the prevailing winds, etc but if they have a Par 5 that is simply unreachable that's pretty stupid. The whole point of a par 5 is risk reward going for them in 2 if you have a good tee ball.

This! I am more of a fan of course management and making good precise shots, then having to come out of your shoes even to reach a hole.

I wouldn't be surprised if the USGA moved the tees up on a day or 2 to entice players to try to go for it in 2. Otherwise, they're basically looking at a 150 yard par 3 on this hole because it will play as a 3 shot hole for everyone.

I wouldn't be surprised if the USGA moved the tees up on a day or 2 to entice players to try to go for it in 2. Otherwise, they're basically looking at a 150 yard par 3 on this hole because it will play as a 3 shot hole for everyone.

Yep. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Epic length on that hole. Tiger puts it in trees while trying to torque one up

Tiger will play for position on that hole

This is just ridiculous. I understand wanting to make the course difficult, but this is borderline insanity. I would have to hit 3 solid shots to get there in 3.

Driver, 3 wood, 3 wood, wedge.

Driver, 3 wood, 3 wood, wedge.

Pretty close for me too. Driver, hybrid punch out, 3 wood, 3 wood, duf chip, chip, 2 putt haha

So they will have to go driver-three wood on a hole. Cry me a river. I do it all the time. I guarantee you some will be hitting driver-some kind of iron into this green.

So they will have to go driver-three wood on a hole. Cry me a river. I do it all the time. I guarantee you some will be hitting driver-some kind of iron into this green.
Really? 670 yards is a long way to go with Driver/iron. 350 yard drive and you are still 320 out.

Pretty close for me too. Driver, hybrid punch out, 3 wood, 3 wood, duf chip, chip, 2 putt haha

Well, I was counting them by my internet golfer standards rather than real life. I'll take an 8 please.

I bet Phil just sent a text to Mike Davis hehe

That is insane. Club down here (closed now) used to have an opening hole par 5 of 755 yards uphill! It was driver, 3w, 3w all day. Absolutely crazy.

This strikes me as making the hole longer just for the sake of making it longer.

Kinda like this Missouri course:

Sun Valley Golf course
Par 6 - The transformation of hole #5 from a 561 yard par 5 to a 720 yard par 6 now known as "The Beast". The hole features an elevated tee box playing to a guarded landing area with creeks crossing the fairway at 200 yards and at 260 yards from the tee. A large tree positioned in the middle of the fairway will humble the straight knockers as well. OB lines the left side the entire length of the hole. The second shot will be up hill to a fairway slanting right to left. The third shot will be the same long shot with wildlife areas to the right. Hopefully you will be within striking distance of the green. Your fourth shot will be to an elevated green that is wide and short in depth. This hole could be tough....it will be tough. Lincoln County golf is a challenge.

There is a 707 yard Par 6 at Mirror Lakes down here in Florida. It's ridiculous. I couldnt imagine trying to play it as a Par 5.

We had one that was 600+ at our club. Played a little uphill. Luckily for me, they turned it into a longer par3 and a mid length par 4.

Back