16 at Olympic Club to Receive New Tee

Really? 670 yards is a long way to go with Driver/iron. 350 yard drive and you are still 320 out.

Hey, it was a bold statement. Let's see if anyone does it! At the least, I still say quite a few go for it in two (as long as they hit the fairway of course!).

Yeah, this seems a tad excessive. IF its playing downhill/downwind, there might be 3 or 4 guys who could get there in 2. If its flat/no wind, I don't think anyone on tour could manage it.

Hey, it was a bold statement. Let's see if anyone does it! At the least, I still say quite a few go for it in two (as long as they hit the fairway of course!).
I got ya. Im hoping some do go for it in two, would love to see it!

Honestly, I am all for this... make the pro's play a hole like us "average folk" have to. It's more than just a 150 yard par 3... the great players will be on the correct side of the fairway looking at a number that really suits their eye. Just because you aren't bombing for it in 2 doesn't mean there isn't strategy on the hole anymore.

Tiger will play for position on that hole

I didn't know that "the woods" was a position anyone would want to play from?

So they will have to go driver-three wood on a hole. Cry me a river. I do it all the time. I guarantee you some will be hitting driver-some kind of iron into this green.

I hope we see someone (bubba?) go Driver-Driver.

There is a 707 yard Par 6 at Mirror Lakes down here in Florida. It's ridiculous. I couldnt imagine trying to play it as a Par 5.

There is an old course here that has a 607 yard par 5; and is part of the original routing of the course from 1954. It's hard to imagine going 600+ yards with a persimmon wood driver and wound balata ball.

Good. I like a real par 5. I bet if this plays down wind one day that someone will reach it.

Good. I like a real par 5. I bet if this plays down wind one day that someone will reach it.

Just looked it up. No one has ever hit the green in a competitive round in two. And that was at 609 yards. But Daly did it at a 630+ yard U.S. Open hole years ago (actually, I think he hit it through the green), and they hit it farther now. I hope they at least try to!

670...hmm

Driver
410 yards to go-3 wood--I would top it from swinging too hard for some unknown reason
380 yards to go-5 iron to get confidence back
200 yards to go -3 wood again--will swing much easier this time onto the green, take a little off of it, nice draw onto the green

I dont see what the big deal is LOL

Just looked it up. No one has ever hit the green in a competitive round in two. And that was at 609 yards. But Daly did it at a 630+ yard U.S. Open hole years ago (actually, I think he hit it through the green), and they hit it farther now. I hope they at least try to!

Yeah. Bubba hit the 667 one at Firestone in 2 last year. I think a big hitter (Bubba, DJ, Quiroz) could get it there.

Hard to tell from that perspective, but it doesn't really look like a big downhill slope anywhere, or like there's a sharp corner to cut off and make it play shorter. Not a huge deal, they'll play to a yardage and pound wedges / short irons in there. I do hope it plays a bit shorter, give a little risk/reward for the bombers.

:beat-up: WOW!! That is insane...can't wait to see how these guys play it. In reality though, looking past the "crazyness" of it...it's a par 5, so it's just going to be like a normal par 4 with one extra shot in the middle.

I've played the par 5 16th at Firestone South and it wasn't too bad. Just had to be played as a 3 shotter (obviously), no chance of going in two. I suspect the pro's will do the same next week at Olympic.

Way too long in my opinion(for the pros I mean) I like a risk-reward par 5 not a wedge hole.

Too long for me certainly, but who said these guys ought to be able to reach par 5's in two anyway? A gir is 3 and a 1 putt still gets a bird. These guys get freakish distance and this just keeps it real for guys like Donald who will still get there in three.

Dear Lord, thats a lotta yard.

Played a course on Memorial day that hole 10 was 610yds into a 20mph wind!!!! Hit Driver/3wd/2hy to get close to the green! A little excessive but with winds/etc you never know if they will be able to reach it in 2 and if you miss the fairway with the drive definitely be laying back!

and heres a story about a hole in 1 on a par 5 with a 3 iron lol

http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/par5aces.htm

That's good stuff, and I've actually played the course (Hope Country Club) where the article says the first such par 5 ace was recorded. I can assure you that those "scrawny" pine trees have matured significantly in the past 50 years.

The funny thing is, my home course has a par 4 and par 5 dog leg that all the old timers talk about cutting the corner on back in the day when the trees were 30 - 40' tall rather than 80'+.

Pretty close for me too. Driver, hybrid punch out, 3 wood, 3 wood, duf chip, chip, 2 putt haha

I'm jealous of your 2 putt!

I once played the 637 yard par 5 at Erin Hills (plays at 660 from the back). It kicked my butt, and I thought i played the hole well. haha. I am interested in seeing what the scoring avergae will be for that hole.

I'm not sure how this one plays (downhill, uphill, wind, etc). But I'm hoping it is like the long one at Firestone. Bubba reached that one in 2 last year, though more guys were hesitant to try because of the lake in front of the green.

I'm not sure how this one plays (downhill, uphill, wind, etc). But I'm hoping it is like the long one at Firestone. Bubba reached that one in 2 last year, though more guys were hesitant to try because of the lake in front of the green.

Firestone is all downhill and downwind... but, it does play 660 from the tips.

Firestone is all downhill and downwind... but, it does play 660 from the tips.

I know. It's not actually a very long hole. I'm wondering what the one at Olympic is like.

Yikes... not even sure if I could hit this in three. Maybe have to be hitting a 3w into the green for 3, which is not exactly on my bucket list

The scariest thing about that hole (and the rest of the course) is how narrow the fairway is. You can see how narrow it will be compared to what it usually is.

63a87c59-3360-5ba0.jpg

Aerial view of Olympic club

Back