16 at Olympic Club to Receive New Tee

Have played teh 17th at Baltusrol from the way back tees 600+, bang away

Don't know if this was posted but the 16th and even 17th hole are shown in the video..

I don't think we're going to see many players attacking this in 2. About the only viable option, even for big hitters, is driver-driver. Unless you hit that narrow fairway or get a beautifully tee'd up shot from the rough, there's no way.

I like to see them go for the par 5's in 2 shots as much as anyone, but I like it that they have to play it like a par 5 was supposed to be played.

I think this is great I wish they had more par 5's like this on tour. How narrow the fairway is that is whats going to cause the problems U.S. open rough and the length going to be fun to watch.

This seems fits with the super long course trend, I happen to like it because it adds strategy to the second shot. You just can't bomb it towards the green like most par 5's, the rough will be too penal.

500+ yard par 4 opener, tight 670 yard par 5, traditional punishing rough and fast greens; I'm not gonna lie...I am pretty excited to watch this US Open.

Fast greens usually mean hard fairways. I bet bubba and TW try to reach 16. Throw Quiros and DJ in the bunch as well

Everybody will reach it, eventually.

Very narrow fairway indeed!

The US Open website said that a lot of guys may take 3 wood off the tee because of the fairway narrowing and a dogleg. The course looks awesome.

Wait. Let's just add this up. Assuming its flat and straight, the bigger hitters will get an average of 330 yards. Then they hit a 3 wood, maybe 250-280. So yea, I guess they wanted a par 5 that was completely impossible to reach in two. The US Open has been a tough contest for years, seems like they want to make sure the winner is not under par once again.

~Rock

Wait. Let's just add this up. Assuming its flat and straight, the bigger hitters will get an average of 330 yards. Then they hit a 3 wood, maybe 250-280. So yea, I guess they wanted a par 5 that was completely impossible to reach in two. The US Open has been a tough contest for years, seems like they want to make sure the winner is not under par once again.

~Rock

Some part of me thinks that the USGA was a little miffed that 20 players finished under par last year.... and that a new scoring record was set by Rory.
This hole is probably good evidence of that.

it'll be interesting to see the different strategies for players, but I agree, it's way to freaking long! I'm a risk-reward lover, this is just hit it as far as you can, hit it as far as you can, put up a wedge, putt. Dont like it. I'm not a fan of 600 yd par 5's either, because then it really rewards guys that can hit it 330 and is impossible for someone under 300 to reach in 2.

I dont think Tiger will try it. He may try in a practice round and pull the hell out of it, and that'll be that. I think he's finally starting to figure out that the 3 wood is the best tee club in his bag. As wild as he is off the tee with driver, and as narrow as this hole is, I'm saying 3 wood, 3 wood, wedge for Tiger.

I can't believe how narrow this hole is. If you are in the rough left off the tee, you can pretty well count on your bogey.

There will be a day when DJ hits 16 in 2. what happens beyond that, I have no clue

Wow now that is one long hole. I wonder if anyone will reach it in too or if someone will use their driver off the deck to reach it in two. I can't wait for this tournament.

he's a beast off the tee for sure, but I would guess his short game and putting are no where near where they need to be.

Did Jamie Sadlowski qualify for the Open? Of course they'd have to adjust the course for him a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDThOdPizOM

He played in a Nationwide Tour event and didn't fare so well. He was #1 in driving distance by like 60 yards too. He was hitting his hybrid further than most people were hitting their driver.

He played in a Nationwide Tour event and didn't fare so well. He was #1 in driving distance by like 60 yards too. He was hitting his hybrid further than most people were hitting their driver.

It must be frustrating to be such a good ball striker (you have to be in order to drive like he does) with your woods, but to not be competitive on the rest of your golf game...

Back