16 at Olympic Club to Receive New Tee

It must be frustrating to be such a good ball striker (you have to be in order to drive like he does) with your woods, but to not be competitive on the rest of your golf game...

i'm pretty sure the guy spends as much time just hammering out long balls as the normal tour players do on their short game.
Short game's for scoring, results are no suprise.
He's pretty good at the specialized long driving competitions from what i heard .)

edit: o, i just realized:
1 of the par 5s of our championship course (only first 9 finished) plays 635 from the tips.
It's 600 from the 2nd tees, and i have a hard time getting it there in 3. Typically i find trouble with 1 of the 3 shots, of course.
Maybe knowing that even a tour pro would be hard pressed to get it there will help me relax and hit 3 decent shots instead of trying to murder the ball.

Last edited:
It must be frustrating to be such a good ball striker (you have to be in order to drive like he does) with your woods, but to not be competitive on the rest of your golf game...

I remember reading he's a scratch handicap. Big jump from scratch to Tour pro though.

To me, Call me crazy, But thats just STOOPID! Who the hell wants to watch some pro,s make 6 or worse on a par 5. For christ,s sake I can do that I would rather penalize them with rough and fairways with doglegs that they might run out of if hit too far. Sumtimes the USGA goes a lil too far! Just my .02.

Bubba said it is unreachable . Hit driver-driver and was still 60 yards short.

Some interesting responses in this thread. I'm not sure why some people think every par 5 must be reachable in two.

Whenever the U.S. Open rolls around we see/hear so many people celebrating the prospect of watching the game's best players being humbled by a brutal course set-up. Why then would they object to a par 5 which can't be eagled?

Furthermore, anyone who knows the history of the game fully realizes the legacy of the true three-shot par 5. Back in the glory days of golf course architecture, the three-shot par 5 was a very important element of course design.

Back