Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Pardon the skim here but what degree is that fairway wood Hawk?

No worries, it hasn't been posted here. It's 19° with a 43 inch shaft.

No worries, it hasn't been posted here. It's 19° with a 43 inch shaft.

Thanks man. I'm just catching up and looking at your numbers you posted. If I am you, I do everything in my power to get the driver and 3wood in my bag.

This could be exactly what you're looking for.

It's definitely not going to be for everybody, but I think this line really could make some people's jaws drop. If the driver worked as well as the fairways it would literally change my game.

It's definitely not going to be for everybody, but I think this line really could make some people's jaws drop. If the driver worked as well as the fairways it would literally change my game.

When you say its not for everyone, is that due to the lightweight design?

Sort of, but also with the shaft choices. This is a line designed mainly for people with a sub-100 swingspeed. For example, they don't even have an XS option.

This is heavily listed in the review on the home page as well as discussed heavily in the THP Radio show with the club's designer.

This is heavily listed in the review on the home page as well as discussed heavily in the THP Radio show with the club's designer.

Sorry JB, my bad.

No worries, ripper. There is a great amount of info on this line if you get a chance to listen.

I loved that radio show btw :) I think it helped me a lot when trying to adjust to the Black driver

I've been following the CG Black Driver thread as I'm still in search of the best driver for me...

After catching up on this thread you now have me in full ponder mode, even though I posted earlier today that I was happy with my current 3W. :bulgy-eyes:

Those numbers are fantastic. Hope it continues to work well for you, Hawk.

Hawk, I'm very excited for you. I know you've been looking for that combination that helps assist you with some more distance and the Black series seems to be delivering. Keep up the good work man!

Thanks TC! It's always fun to find something that works.

Hawk Im curious to see how things go with this FW your next time out. Hopefully the great numbers continue or at the least you get a very good idea of the averages.

Thanks Kev. I just want to get out with no wind so I can actually see what the ball does.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ugh, wind. I hate wind. I hope you can get out wind free too bro beans.

Would like to know if the draw bias is evident to any who have hit the Black fairway.

Would like to know if the draw bias is evident to any who have hit the Black fairway.

Can you clarify a bit? Are you asking if I draw it any easier than other clubs or if it prevents a left-right ball flight? Right now, I'm noticing my directional miss seems to be a push, but I really keep a weak grip to avoid the hook. I hope to get some course/range time this weekend to see play around a bit with it.

More of preventing a moderate fade from left-to-right (for righties) than producing a draw flight . Thanks

I can definitely get my thoughts on that over the next couple trips to the range/course. Thanks for the interest!

I'd consider bagging it even if I just hit it off the tee. Many times I think the fairway wood off the turf is a dumb shot for many amateurs anyway.
I agree with this and disagree as well. I can hit a low profile FW off the grass but can't hit one that's very tall. I am afraid that this series is of the tall variety. I am also interested in how you hit this off the deck. I am all over the driver, but even with these awesome numbers you are getting with this 5W, I don't know what good it would do me unless I just used it in place of a driver - - - which I would hope wouldn't be necessary if I get a driver in this series. Unless this is lower profile than it looks, I would tend to go with the Black driver but the Launcher 3- and 5-woods.

Again, though, those numbers are incredible, Hawk!

This club has really caught my attention as my Fairway wood is primalrly used off the tee. Great job so far hawk and anxiously waiting for more.

Can you clarify a bit? Are you asking if I draw it any easier than other clubs or if it prevents a left-right ball flight? Right now, I'm noticing my directional miss seems to be a push, but I really keep a weak grip to avoid the hook. I hope to get some course/range time this weekend to see play around a bit with it.

I think he is talking about the statement from Cleveland that this is a draw biased club:

A high-density weight screw at the rear of the sole plate positions the center of gravity lower and deeper to promote a high, draw-biased trajectory with optimal launch conditions for effortless distance.

Thanks Chunky. I was aware of that, but I think it's just a hard thing to relate at times since I can make a ball go any direction, draw biased or not haha.

As for the fairway wood off the turf being a bad choice for many amateurs, I was more referring to it in a course management sense. Going for a 200+ yard green with a fairway wood can be riskier than say a iron or hybrid>wedge in my opinion. That said, I did hit this club a whole bunch yesterday on the course, both off the tee and off the turf. I really am struggling to come to much in the way of opinions since the wind was once again gusting in the 40mph range.

I will say that I'm very familiar with this course and I was as far or farther with this off the tee than I am with my driver. Hit some side-by-side that confirmed this as well. Had some hooking issues going on with all of my clubs and this one was not immune from that. I didn't notice that it had more of a tendency to go left that anything else.

I don't think I've ever seen a fairway wood get up in the air as high as this one for me. It's pretty amazing to see from my perspective. Shots with wind in my face were certainly punished for that, but I was still pretty happy with where I ended up. Only a couple really big misses, but for the most part I was on the fairway or close to it. It was not hard at all to get in the air off the turf.

Thanks Chunky. I was aware of that, but I think it's just a hard thing to relate at times since I can make a ball go any direction, draw biased or not haha.

As for the fairway wood off the turf being a bad choice for many amateurs, I was more referring to it in a course management sense. Going for a 200+ yard green with a fairway wood can be riskier than say a iron or hybrid>wedge in my opinion. That said, I did hit this club a whole bunch yesterday on the course, both off the tee and off the turf. I really am struggling to come to much in the way of opinions since the wind was once again gusting in the 40mph range.

I will say that I'm very familiar with this course and I was as far or farther with this off the tee than I am with my driver. Hit some side-by-side that confirmed this as well. Had some hooking issues going on with all of my clubs and this one was not immune from that. I didn't notice that it had more of a tendency to go left that anything else.

I don't think I've ever seen a fairway wood get up in the air as high as this one for me. It's pretty amazing to see from my perspective. Shots with wind in my face were certainly punished for that, but I was still pretty happy with where I ended up. Only a couple really big misses, but for the most part I was on the fairway or close to it. It was not hard at all to get in the air off the turf.

I agree with you on the fairway off the deck dude. I just can't do it anymore. About 80% of the time that I try to do that shot I push it straight right OB. The other 20% is straight left and hooking. Really a lose/lose lol. Hawk you are making me want one of these very badly!

Back