Tour Edge Exotics Reviews - 2012 Demo Day - Full Line

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
While at the 2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day, equipment was available from almost every club manufacturer around. A big part of the Ultimate Weekend of Golf is to be able to try things out both at the demo day as well as take them to the course for the weekend and see how they work for you.

Tour Edge Golf was kind enough to send over their full line of equipment for people to test out. Here are the products that were on the range as part of the THP Demo Day.

XCG5 Driver
XCG5 FW Woods
XCG5 Hybrids
XCG5 Irons
CB Irons
CU Irons
Exotics Tour Proto Wedges

Looking forward to all the great feedback from everybody that got a chance to test these out.

Always interested in the Exotics line. Always seems to get raves

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'm a big TEE fan so I'm intrigued here. Really anxious to hear some thoughts on the XCG5 driver.

XCG5 Driver

Some may remember that Puttin4Bird reviewed this one on the homepage. I was interested after reading his review, so this is a driver I looked for at demo day. I love the looks with the white/orange shaft. I think its a GD Tour AD 40 he had in there. It's crazy light when you read the specs, but didn't feel overly light to me when I held it. Seems well balanced like a lightweight driver should be.

I won't minimize my thoughts. I loved the driver. It was long, gave me a really nice trajectroy, and was consistently straight. It was a little on the loud side, but with the way I was hitting it, I didn't care at all. Not a bad price on the thing either. If I didn't already like the driver in my bag so much, I think this would be its replacement.

CU Irons

I grabbed these on a whim while it was raining and started hitting them off the mats that were under the tent. These suprised me a lot with how long they were. Definitely up there at the top of what I demoed. I took them out when the rain stopped for some time on the grass and felt the same. High ball flight and long. I wish I'd grabbed them earlier in the day. By the time I had a chance to hit them we were basically starting to pack up. I can't remember what shaft was in them for the life of me.

I only hit two TEE items, which is a shame. Both were among my favorites of the demo day.

The very first club I hit at demo day was the TEE XCG5 4 wood in 16.5*, it was a stiff flex and I found it easy to hit both off of a tee and off of the deck. It really had a solid feel and gave me a slight fade shot after shot. I would have liked to have been able to hit it in a regular flex to see if it would feel better and give me the slight draw I am more accustomed to. I think this club should be considered by anyone thinking of purchasing a new wood. Tour Edge fairway woods are pretty awesome IMO.

This was the only offering from TE that I had opportunity to hit as I was concentrating on fairway woods at demo day.

I like reading people going in with lower or no expectations for a brand or club and coming away loving them. I have never hit TEE because it is virtually impossible to find them in LH around here anyway but would love to someday give them a shot. Maybe next demo day...

• Admin
XCG5 FW Wood is a club that I know many love. For me however, I just do not get the same results as many others do. I struggle off the deck with it compared to my current FW wood and don't get the same distance as it either off the tee. Im sure it is a fitting thing and the launch conditions are not what they should be, but its just not a great setup for me.

XCG5 10.5* driver, regular flex shaft

This is one of the few 10.5* drivers that I had success with. Most others I was launching way too high, but this gave me a mid-high ball flight which was extremely straight. Another thing I liked about this driver was the sound at impact which I would describe as a very solid thwack.

Ultimately, I think I would have better long term success with this driver in the 9* range, but came away pretty darn impressed with the 10.5* - the shaft seems to be a good combo with this head.

Too bad the Trilogy line fell away. That was a great line for those looking for something better than Bazookas and didn't want to shell out top $ for Exotics branding. Plus they are very easy to use and long.

What's the sound like on that driver guys? I think it was the 4 that sounded like a M80 when I hit it, too loud.

XCG5 3W- I spent a lot of time with the 15* 3w during the outing and it's fighting for a spot in my bag. I used it on the course each time I played and it was a fairway finder for me. I don't like it off the deck too much but it's really good off the tee for me. Distance is really good and the ball just feels so hot coming off the face. The heavier tungsten plate in the sole really balances out the titanium face and crown and makes for a nice combo. I really feel like I'm bottoming out my swing and getting the club through the ball well. The white Graphite Design Tour AD40 shaft really looks nice against the black crown which really appealed to me.

Too bad the Trilogy line fell away. That was a great line for those looking for something better than Bazookas and didn't want to shell out top $ for Exotics branding. Plus they are very easy to use and long.

What's the sound like on that driver guys? I think it was the 4 that sounded like a M80 when I hit it, too loud.

I thought it was loud, Griff. Didn't care for it all that much, but I could get over it pretty easy. I'm trying to find something that Jake wants for a trade so I can hoard it. Maybe a great big bro hug.

Anyone try out the XCG5 hybrids? They got high marks in Golf Magazine's 2012 Club Test.

XCG5 Driver - First thing that interested me was the graphite design lightweight shaft. I think it was around 40-45 grams. I started with some nice easy swings with it and the results were pretty good. Then I started to put more of a swing on it and got even better results. I hit it high, but the ball just seemed to carry. I think this could be a sneaky good driver for a lot of folks.

XCG5 FW - I didn't like this as much as the previous years versions. I thought it launched too high whereas the XCG4 launched more mid for me. I hit it better off of the tee than I did the turf. IMO there were better FW's out there at the outing than this one.

I wasn't at the demo day (maybe some day), but really like TEE products and would like to hear more. I had an older XCG3 four wood and found it really long and killer off the tee, but struggled with shots off the fairway, open setup and potentially the shaft (maybe played a little too stiff for me).

I did recently hit the XCG5. I struggle with the newer trend for long and light shafts and the XCG5 was no different. I really liked the looks and didn't mind the sound. Because of my inconsistency, I can't really comment on performance.

If Tour Edge ever needed a tester though, I'd more than gladly volunteer... :)

So Jake, let's work out a deal. That XCG5 wants to come to Illinois.

Back