League Handicap Opinions??

fastbasser

Reaction score
Handicap
At our club, most of us have Ghin handicaps. Our leagues chooses to use "their" handicap system. A couple of weeks ago, I saw I had to give a guy 6 strokes for nine holes. I thought it was a joke. I then checked another guys handicap who I golf with often. My Ghin is 2 strokes less for 18 holes. (Yes, I can beat him most of the time..) In the league, I have to give him 10 strokes for NINE holes!!

I totally believe in fair play! I bust my butt and push myself every time I go out. I think I am not playing the handicap league next year.. This is BS..

How many others have to put up with this crap?

:banghead:

I would really like to see "their" handicap rules, but it doesn't sound right.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Who wouldn't use the standard HC rules? Thats why they're there.

Sounds like you need to get to sandbagging in a quick way.

Sad but there is a pretty tight click for the most part at my club. I recommended they use the Ghin and was told not all members put scores in Ghin.. I was also told, others only put in the high scores and others the low... He thought this was the "fair way". (he purchased his own handicapping program).

After inquiring into this situation, I have heard from a bunch of others they only play the scratch league because of this. I guess I'm going to follow in their foot steps....

I think I would switch leagues too. There's obviously something wrong with that handicapping system, especially if they know that people are sandbagging their GHIN.

Sad but there is a pretty tight click for the most part at my club. I recommended they use the Ghin and was told not all members put scores in Ghin.. I was also told, others only put in the high scores and others the low... He thought this was the "fair way". (he purchased his own handicapping program).

After inquiring into this situation, I have heard from a bunch of others they only play the scratch league because of this. I guess I'm going to follow in their foot steps....

Why the hell would anyone put in only the low scores? You have a 12 HC but should be a 16 and you're gonna embarrass yourself. Same goes with sandbagging.

Do they adjust handicaps each week based on the results of matches? We have a quota point league where points are adjusted each week; if you score more than three more than your quota your requirement goes up 1; if you score three or more less than your quota your requirement goes down 1.

After a few weeks the quota points are pretty close and it is very hard to win three weeks in a row.

Back