Official 2012 French Open Tennis (Spoilers)

omega4

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm creating this thread as I've used the "check if already posted" function and it shows that no other thread has been created on this topic.

Excellent French Open finals between Nadal and Djokovic going on live now on NBC.

Nadal had taken a 3-0 lead in the 1st set, but Djokovic has battled his way back to make it 4-3.

I'm loving this match so far. I want to see a good one that goes right down to the wire.

You might want to put a spoiler tag in the title.
But I agree it's a pretty good match so far.

I'm loving this match so far. I want to see a good one that goes right down to the wire.
Agreed. Both finalists have much riding on the line.

Nadal is going for his SEVENTH French Open championship title (I think that ties him for Borg's record or he breaks Borg's record). Djokovich is going for a Grand Slam (four consecutive majors wins).

I hope Djok wins. A grand slam would be cool to see.

You might want to put a spoiler tag in the title.
But I agree it's a pretty good match so far.

Thanks for the tip. Someone has kindly already done it for me.

Djokovich has now made it 5-4. This could end up going to tiebreaker in the 1st set.

I hope Djok wins. A grand slam would be cool to see.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I hope N wins. 7 French Open championships in the modern tennis era is an amazing feat, considering the quality of finalists.

Nadal takes the 1st set rather handily. On to the 2nd.

While I don't necessarily disagree, I hope N wins. 7 French Open championships in the modern tennis era is an amazing feat, considering the quality of finalists.

I guess. But a Grand Slam is very good, especially in this era. Federer came 1 major away twice I think, but was thwarted twice by Nadal at Rolland Garros. I'd like to see someone beat him on clay.

I guess. But a Grand Slam is very good, especially in this era. Federer came 1 major away twice I think, but was thwarted twice by Nadal at Rolland Garros. I'd like to see someone beat him on clay.

I'm sure others have said the same about beating Federer at Wimbledon as well (at least before Djokovich and Nadal came along) LOL.

D is waking up now and starting to really challenge N.

If Nole wins it wouldn't qualify as a grand slam in my opinion because he didn't win all majors in one year. So it would just be the career slam.

If Nole wins it wouldn't qualify as a grand slam in my opinion because he didn't win all majors in one year. So it would just be the career slam.

I can see your point. I wonder if golf's use of the term "Tiger Slam" would be applicable in tennis as well. Or perhaps they'll just call it a Djokovich Slam instead.

Of course, if D doesn't step his game up, then it'll all be moot.

I think it would. As far as I'm concerned, owning all 4 at the same time = Grand Slam.

I think it would. As far as I'm concerned, owning all 4 at the same time = Grand Slam.

I beleive dirkules is correct. Technically, a Grand Slam of majors must occur within the same calendar year. That's why they called what Tiger did in 2000 a "Tiger Slam", as he won 4 consecutive majors over 2 different calendar years.

I tried to watch the women's final yesterday and the screaming and grunting is out of control. Thanks a lot Monica Seles.

I tried to watch the women's final yesterday and the screaming and grunting is out of control. Thanks a lot Monica Seles.

Some of the referees have been invoking a little used "hinderance" rule to penalize players who grunt too loud. However, the referees are very inconsistent in using that rule. It's led to more problems than solutions (again, due to its inconsistent use).

I'm surprised that Sharapova was not penalized via the hinderance rule even once during the women's finals.

This is why I like Fed much better than both of these guys.

Some of the referees have been invoking a little used "hinderance" rule to penalize players who grunt too loud. However, the referees are very inconsistent in using that rule. It's led to more problems than solutions (again, due to its inconsistent use).

I'm surprised that Sharapova was not penalized via the hinderance rule even once during the women's finals.

I guess I just don't get it. Does screaming like that after every shot really help?

I guess I just don't get it. Does screaming like that after every shot really help?

I've often wondered that myself. I'll try it at TPC tomorrow after each shot

It does for some players. The same concept works with the kiai in karate as well.

And we're now in a rain delay. Shouldn't be too long as they say the rainfall isn't too serious (but enough to warrant taking the players of the court for their safety).

And play has resumed. N up 5-3 in the 2nd set (after having won the 1st set 6-4).

D better step it up or this will be over before it's started.

N just hit an amazing crosscourt backhand to win the 3rd set. It was an amazing get, as D hit a great shot down the line.

N is now up 2 games with a break in the 3rd set. N is up 2 sets now (6-4, 6-3). D is looking tired, dejected, or a little of both.

Back