Any Slicefixer Fans?

I stayed up until well past midnight reading and watching the videos and then have been catching up on the rest of this thread this morning. I think this swing philosophy is really interesting. I am not all that knowledgable about the specifics of the golf swing, but I like what I see and noticed that he uses many elements of the swing that I have found work for me. I think I am on board with this and am going to start implementing these swing philosophies into my own swing. My one big question with this is the grip. It just seems to go against the commonly accepted idea of a proper grip. It just seems like it is too in the fingers for me. I was always taught that when gripping the club with the left hand, that the grip should not be in the finger of the pinky and for the most part the ring finger as well. Other than this I like what I see.

I stayed up until well past midnight reading and watching the videos and then have been catching up on the rest of this thread this morning. I think this swing philosophy is really interesting. I am not all that knowledgable about the specifics of the golf swing, but I like what I see and noticed that he uses many elements of the swing that I have found work for me. I think I am on board with this and am going to start implementing these swing philosophies into my own swing. My one big question with this is the grip. It just seems to go against the commonly accepted idea of a proper grip. It just seems like it is too in the fingers for me. I was always taught that when gripping the club with the left hand, that the grip should not be in the finger of the pinky and for the most part the ring finger as well. Other than this I like what I see.

If it is not the same, it is very close to the Hogan grip

Chunky, what the hell is that thing on your grip? Is that one of Jakes hangers for his hanger shirts?

It basically is the Hogan grip. I'm about to leave my office now and go home, I'll video a grip and 9-3. I won't bother talking, I'll ramble on and you'll have a 45 minute long video lol

It basically is the Hogan grip. I'm about to leave my office now and go home, I'll video a grip and 9-3. I won't bother talking, I'll ramble on and you'll have a 45 minute long video lol

LOL please dont ramble we've got enough of that going on about Penn st.

poor OEM, its just PSU talk everywhere he goes today

Unfortunately its human nature. We love the agony of defeat. See the psu thread.

Here are a couple of pictures of Hogans grip and you can see that it is not as in the fingers as this one.

Hogan-LeftHandGrip.jpg

Golfperfect-FofHleftgrip.jpg

Toothy, thats the grip I tried Tuesday with an interlock. My right hand was barley on the club which helped but the 9 to 3 was very tough. The mind is overwhelmingly controlling for me. I have dealt with it in my other sport/competitions and beat it but golf is another mystery. I can easily see that this will take at least a year of dedication if not more.

I'm working as hard as this old body will let me and I'm having quite an adjustment period. I haven't told anyone at the course what I'm trying to do but I'm getting all kinds of remarks about me trying too much new stuff, my mind being cluttered, listening to too many people. LOL They don't have a clue what I'm trying to do and think I'm just all messed up because I'm so mental. Haha..that too. It's unbelievable how much better I have hit the ball when I make the right connection. I hit my 3rd bucket of balls with a 7 iron this afternoon and couldn't believe the distance I was getting. Everything still feels awkward and I'm not hitting that many great shots but when I do connect, it keeps me wanting more. I am finding power I didn't know I could have. It's just a matter of me keeping the discipline. So far, so good.

Video made, gimme a few kids.

Edit: The uploading speed is painful. The 9-3 I can prep you for now isn't that great. I haven't figured out yet how far I need to stand or how low I can set the tripod up so I can get a full shot. You can see from my knees up :/

Last edited:
Grip

9-3 drill, just cut off from the knees down. Just had a terrible day setting up the camera. Ball position is center, not as far back as it looks. Right hand grip isn't that weak, just a bad angle. I give up lol

Thanks for posting the videos mward! They are very helpful. You make it look so easy. Cute dog!!

Thanks for posting the videos mward! They are very helpful. You make it look so easy. Cute dog!!

The motion is easy. Doing it right is the hard part haha. Already noticed I'm still doing a couple things wrong so I'm gonna need to do some more stuff in front of a mirror to keep an eye on it.

The dog is Bailey. She just turned a year old a couple months ago and weighs about 90 lbs. She's cute till she wants attention, then she just sits on you until you pet her. That's not cute. That's heavy.

OG brought me a book I forgot we had "Ben Hogan's Five Lessons". I've been looking over it this AM since Geoff's teachings are along the same lines.

The chapters are as follows:

• Grip
  • Stance and Posture
  • First Part of the Swing
  • Second Part of the Swing
  • Summary and Review
It's got a lot of good pictures and it's an easy read. Page 81-82 actually has the 9 to 3 drill.

He recommends "a training exercise that's designed to school a golfer to entrust his swing not to his hands but to his arms and body. Start in the position of address with the upper part of your arms and your elbows glued to the sides of your chest. Exaggerate this adhesion, if anything. With your arms held as stiff as a pendulum of a clock, having the turning of the body swing the arms back about halfway to the top of the back swing, then swing them forward about halfway to the finish of the follow-through...back and forth, breaking your left knee and right elbow on your half-back swing, breaking your right knee on your half swing forward and later, the left elbow. As you continue to do this, you will get the feeling that you are swinging with the hips, that the body is swinging the club. The effect of this exercise is to exaggerate a fundamental fact and feeling you want to have about the full golf swing: THE ACTION OF THE ARMS IS MOTIVATED BY THE MOVEMENTS OF THE BODY, AND THE HANDS CONSCIOUSLY DO NOTHING BUT MAINTAIN A FIRM GRIP ON THE CLUB."

So I spent another long night going over the ET and Hogan's Five Lessons. I still think Hogan has it right with the grip, but so much of these two are very similar. I am really liking what I am reading. I just need to stop myself from reading past midnight.

Thanks for the grip videos guys. Looks almost exactly like my old grip. Very fingery, and for me with that old swing it produced a lot of ugly shots. But then I'm sure it wasn't just the grips fault.

So I spent another long night going over the ET and Hogan's Five Lessons. I still think Hogan has it right with the grip, but so much of these two are very similar. I am really liking what I am reading. I just need to stop myself from reading past midnight.

They should be pretty similar. Let me see if I can find another video while I put these up.

Ben-Hogan-Grip.jpg

[video=youtube;ogqK1it79-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogqK1it79-Q[/video]

Sorry for the double post, but found the video I was thinking of. Are there a lot of Hogan elements to this swing? Absolutely. Does it teach you to swing exactly like him? No. Not all bodies are built like his, but the same general concepts of his swing are in this swing. The video below has a lot of 9-3 drills in it, but it also has a lot of footage from one of Geoff's best students. His swing is spot on what Geoff has in mind.

Hey, I lost track of this thread but I thought I would point out that the difference between what you see below and slicefixer grip is just the frame of reference. Hogans is from the side view, Slicefixer describes his grip as if you were looking down at the grip.

I haven't been to see him but I've pretty much read all the threads as I'm just trying to improve like everyone else. dfw1500 has some good videos on youtube that talk a lot about setup and the pivot. If you search for 'dfw1500' on youtube you will see the videos. He is on the gothamgolfblog alot too.

I worked on the 9-3 a ton like some here. And I don't have it down really, but there were a couple times I lucked into doing the right thing and could really feel the ball compress. It was a totally different feeling than before and when I took a look at my sandwedge it was as if I had grated the range ball and there were golf ball shavings in the grooves. I thought it was pretty cool.

Here are a couple of pictures of Hogans grip and you can see that it is not as in the fingers as this one.

Hogan-LeftHandGrip.jpg

Golfperfect-FofHleftgrip.jpg

Great post Seabass. I have been working a lot on my 9 to 3 and I think I've made some progress. I have added Dan Whittaker to my favorites on youtube. His videos are outstanding. I've really been considering taking some online lessons from him

Great post Seabass. I have been working a lot on my 9 to 3 and I think I've made some progress. I have added Dan Whittaker to my favorites on youtube. His videos are outstanding. I've really been considering taking some online lessons from him

I agree, that was a great post and my grip is exactly what I'm working on right now and I'm doing it exactly like in the photos.

I agree, that was a great post and my grip is exactly what I'm working on right now and I'm doing it exactly like in the photos.

Well. Well. Well. A member of the mighty Team THP slumming with the rest of us. Good stuff dude. It all starts with the grip. I get lazy in that aspect and then my entire swing goes to heck

Well. Well. Well. A member of the mighty Team THP slumming with the rest of us. Good stuff dude. It all starts with the grip. I get lazy in that aspect and then my entire swing goes to heck

THis is what happened to me, I got lazy with my grip and stopped thinking about it, then all of a sudden I'm hitting some "draw's" then some really quite severe "draws" then it was just duck hooks. I took a few video's and thanks to Golftec I saw how strong my grip had become and it was all in my fingers. If I released my hands even a little bit then I would hit big hooks no matter what. To hit a good ball I was having to hold my hands off almost like a chip and all this happened without me thinking about it because I let my grip slip away on me.

In just the few weeks I have been working on my grip, my ball striking has improved and my ball flight has gotten a lot straighter, a lot higher, and back to a fade which is what I like to play.

That might explain why I hook the ball sometimes. I am also lazy with my grip and I've been trying to think about it each time but I often catch myself forgetting. Thanks for this information!

THis is what happened to me, I got lazy with my grip and stopped thinking about it, then all of a sudden I'm hitting some "draw's" then some really quite severe "draws" then it was just duck hooks. I took a few video's and thanks to Golftec I saw how strong my grip had become and it was all in my fingers. If I released my hands even a little bit then I would hit big hooks no matter what. To hit a good ball I was having to hold my hands off almost like a chip and all this happened without me thinking about it because I let my grip slip away on me.

In just the few weeks I have been working on my grip, my ball striking has improved and my ball flight has gotten a lot straighter, a lot higher, and back to a fade which is what I like to play.

Back