Do Wedge shafts make a difference?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
In order to save some $$$ I am considering re-shafting my wedges instead of purchasing new ones. When these were built forever ago I am positive they were just build with the same rifle shafts that were used for the irons.

What difference if any would there be by reshafting with proper wedge shafts?

Of course they make a difference, however just jumping and going with wedge flex shafts because they say wedge on them should not be done in my opinion. One must first decide why they want to change shafts in their wedges and fit them accordingly. Many people believe that the wedge shaft is just that...A shaft for wedges, but in actuality, it is just another flex.

In order to save some $$$ I am considering re-shafting my wedges instead of purchasing new ones. When these were built forever ago I am positive they were just build with the same rifle shafts that were used for the irons.

What difference if any would there be by reshafting with proper wedge shafts?

Yes, the flex of wedge shafts makes a difference, particularly when it come to half-swing shots. The more flexible the shaft, the softer the feel on halfswings.

Yes, the flex of wedge shafts makes a difference, particularly when it come to half-swing shots. The more flexible the shaft, the softer the feel on halfswings.

Just to clarify here, wedge flex is not softer in flex than most iron shafts. In fact its a common misnomer that people play wedge flex to get more feel because its lighter in flex than a standard stiff or regular shaft. It is not the case in many instances....mostly due to its length.

Not to hijack, but I keep seeing people talk about Spinner shafts and such...is the flex going to have a big impact on the spin you get, assuming technique and clubhead stay constant, or is it the actual shaft structure that has more of an effect?
That's probably poorly stated, but rather than "wedge flex" or "stiff", does the actual type of shaft make a larger difference to the spin imparted than flex?

Not to hijack, but I keep seeing people talk about Spinner shafts and such...is the flex going to have a big impact on the spin you get, assuming technique and clubhead stay constant, or is the the actual shaft structure that has more of an effect?
That's probably poorly stated, but rather than "wedge flex" or "stiff", does the actual type of shaft make a larger difference to the spin imparted than flex?

I belive the concept behind the Spinner is that the higher flex point alters launch and spin. They come in two flexes I think.

Not to hijack, but I keep seeing people talk about Spinner shafts and such...is the flex going to have a big impact on the spin you get, assuming technique and clubhead stay constant, or is the the actual shaft structure that has more of an effect?

The DG Spinner shaft was designed to create more spin and keep the ball at a lower flight. Due to the flexpoint of the shaft (where it flexes), it has been shown to create some rpm difference. However technique will still play a larger role than any of that.

Just to clarify here, wedge flex is not softer in flex than most iron shafts. In fact its a common misnomer that people play wedge flex to get more feel because its lighter in flex than a standard stiff or regular shaft. It is not the case in many instances....mostly due to its length.

I agree. I wrote "flex of wedge shafts", not "wedge flex". My Ping iWedges are regular flex steel (OEM), but also come in stiff flex (and others, I imagine).

I say yes. I'm not a big spinner of the ball but I can see a difference in trajectory and spin for me when I use wedges that have different shafts in them (DG Spinners, KBS Hi Revs, etc)

I belive the concept behind the Spinner is that the higher flex point alters launch and spin. They come in two flexes I think.

The DG Spinner shaft was designed to create more spin and keep the ball at a lower flight. Due to the flexpoint of the shaft (where it flexes), it has been shown to create some rpm difference. However technique will still play a larger role than any of that.

Ok, thanks. That sort of matches what I thought. Shame I still can't buy a wedge game, but at least I can give myself every opportunity to develop one.

Of course they make a difference, however just jumping and going with wedge flex shafts because they say wedge on them should not be done in my opinion. One must first decide why they want to change shafts in their wedges and fit them accordingly. Many people believe that the wedge shaft is just that...A shaft for wedges, but in actuality, it is just another flex.

I am doing a total bag fitting this week on 2 separate days. I am just trying to get as much info as possible so I can ask questions and stuff while I am there. I am planning on new irons after the fitting, but was thinking of keeping my current wedges...for now at least. Wedge shafts was just something I started thinking about that could be changed in them to save some $$$ as I am sure the cost of new irons will already exceed .

May not work out that way, but just something I was considering. I don't know if wedge shafts help produce more spin/feel or what purpose they serve. I mean if they didn't serve some sort of purpose they wouldn't make them. Right?

Ok, thanks. That sort of matches what I thought. Shame I still can't buy a wedge game, but at least I can give myself every opportunity to develop one.

Sure you can buy a wedge game. Not all wedges are created equal.

Where are you getting the fitting done?

I'm looking into having my wedges reshafted to KBS Tours as that is whats in my irons now and I am in love with the feel.

i just put spinners in my 54 and 58...i normally can stop it on a dime but rarely get a LOT of spin back...will i see a significant difference?

Use DG Spinner shafts. I think they make a big difference on short pitch shots

Back