New Irons Are Here!

revrat

Reaction score
Handicap
Fedex came to see me Wednesday with a nice long box from the Mizuno custom shop. I got a nice raise at work, and decided to treat myself and finally get some clubs that were fitted to me. So I opened up the box and checked out my new JPX 800 Pros with KBS Tours and New Decade grips built to my specs.

I got my old Ci7's out of the bag, and stuffed in the new Mizzies, and headed out to play yesterday. I was so excited to go hit them, it almost felt like becoming a dad again. Almost, but not quite. I met my playing partner on the range before our tee time, and took a little while to acquaint myself with the new toys. What a difference getting fit makes! It's amazing how much more "right" your clubs can feel when they're spec'd for your swing. After a short adjustment period, I was able to just throw darts around the range. It translated immediately to the course where I shot an 85, which was four strokes better than my previous best round ever. It helped that my driver and putter were on fire too(relative to my normal game), but I can point to at least a few holes that I can without a doubt say that my new irons helped me on. One in particular was an 8 iron off the tee on a 160 yard par three that stuck three feet from the pin. My old clubs hated that hole. A regular full swing from my 8 iron would leave me short, sometimes in sand. If I leaned on my old 8 iron to get it there, I would tend to lose the ball right, and be in the sand, or worse, behind the trees to the right of the sand, with a green sloping down hill away from me to land a chip or bunker shot on to. If I tried to play a 7 iron off the tee, i would either blow through the green, or chunk it trying to back off of it to keep from blowing through the green. Pars were rare for me on that particular hole. I had never birdied it before yesterday. That hole alone is reason enough for me to be in love with my new clubs. I carried the 4 iron out with me and left my 4 hybrid in the garage to see how the longer iron was. It was a joy to hit, and I think I'm keeping it in the bag since I always liked a well struck 4 iron over a well struck hybrid shot. There's just something about watching a ball rocket out off of a 4 iron that just does it for me. Maybe I'm weird.

The Mizzies are way nicer to look at than my Ci7's too. They are noticeably slimmer, and more serious looking, but not necessarily harder to hit or less forgiving than my old clubs. When hit well, they feel like my old Bridgestone j36s that I gave up on when my playing and practice time got greatly reduced by the arrival of two babies. Flushed shots feel like you went right through the ball. Bad shots tell you exactly where you went wrong, but are not punished as harshly as they would be by my j36s in either distance or direction. A bad shot from my j36 irons was a disaster, which was why I stepped into the Ci7s from them.

So getting fit for irons really is all it's cracked up to be! I'll never buy another set off the rack again. Also the KBS tours feel great. You can really feel the power stored in them, but there is no harshness at all to them when they unload. They have a lot lower trajectory than the uniflex things in my ci7's, and they feel much smoother.

All in all I'm tickled with the new clubs, and I have set a goal of breaking 80 with them before the end of the year.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new sticks! Those 800 Pro's with KBS Tours are going to be a nice combo. Hit 'em well!

Sounds great. Hope you get lots of low rounds from them!

Very nice. What are you doing with your Ci7s? Those are great irons as well.

Very nice. What are you doing with your Ci7s? Those are great irons as well.

I was thinking about putting them on the 'Bay, but I just did that with all my other iron sets that don't get used anymore, so I'm leaning towards putting them in my spare bag for loaners when people come to visit from out of town. Right now though, they are just sitting on the deck of my bass boat crying about being uncerimoniously booted from my bag.

First congrats on the raise at work and second on the new irons, the JPX 800 Pros are a very nice set and the KBS shafts make them even better IMO.

Awesome pick up dude, but you know you need to post some pics.........

Awesome purchase man! Post some pictures when you get a chance!!

Enjoy! do you have any pics?

The pro's with the KBS tours are a great combo, absolutely love the combo set I have right now. You will only like these sticks more as you get more acquainted.

Congrats!

Great set of sticks. enjoy them.

Congrat's on the new sticks and raise at work. Enjoy them and score well dude.
Like everyone has requested how about some pics.

Hey congrats, I am loving my pros as well, and you are right about getting fit for the right specs, I thought I was going to lose distance but gain accuracy by going to these, well I was wrong, I gained about a clubs distance just because these irons fit me better and remind me to hit flush versus hard, I now hit longer and more accurately with these than I ever did with the "Longest clubs in the market", and the Mizunos are actually .5" shorter.

Congrats on the new clubs! I got some new clubs in Feb and my scores have gone down!.. I know you will break 80!!

I'll try to get the grass stains cleaned off and get some pics up on my next day off. I think they look pretty hot with the black and white New Decades on them.

I switched to the 800 pros last may and have not looked back. Don't be surprised if you drop even more strokes as you get used to them. My handicap went from a 11.2 to a 5 by December. I hit a 4.4 late last fall, but as of today, I am carrying a 4.7. I think it has more to do with the 800 Pros than anything else. I hit them closer to the hole than my old irons. My mishits are still in the same state. I did however lose a little distance, but not enough to be concerned about. I think I need the KBS shafts in mine.

Glad you like them. Joe is a great guy to buy them from.

"I'll never buy another set off the rack again."

I said the same thing after getting fit for my Burner 2.0's. It makes all the difference in the world !

Congrats on the new sticks !

Congrats on the new sticks. Great set!

"my old clubs hated that hole".
LOL! Great line revrat. Congrats on the awesome new clubs. I bet the black and white grips look fantastic with the 800 Pro heads.

Nice sticks. Congratulations.

pics or it didn't happen

but seriously we ALL love looking at new clubs so NEVER EVER make another thread about new sticks and not show us

Here's a few hasty pics I was able to do in a few free minutes at work today. Sorry they're not great pics, but I asure all that the clubs are sweeter than my photography skills! I offer my profound apologies for not showing up with pics in the first post, and vow to not commit this offense ever again.

Here's the 4 iron with the whole length of the club with the black and white grips. I really like the grips.
attachment.php

The new irons are getting along great so far with their new family.
attachment.php

Close shot of grips and heads together

attachment.php

The rest of the kids.
attachment.php

My whole bag has turned over this season except for my putter, which I intend on keeping for a looooooooonnnnnnnnng time. The only changes I think I may want to make now is the bag itself, and maybe replace my wedges with the JPX wedges. Maybe the ATV's if they keep getting good reviews.

Last edited:
Wow your mizzies turned out beautiful, I'm loving the white grips and the KBS tour shafts. I hope you hit them perfectly! Congrats!

Congrats dude. Cant ever go wrong with Miz's. Just picked up a new set of TM TP MC's recently and cant seem to figure out what I should do with them.

Back