Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Ok I thought that was the case but wondered if you had thought about dropping the c. kua from it into the black.

That would have been a good idea! Still the S "limited" c.kua is very close to the one in the XL270 (much closer than the R "limited").

I tried the Black and really liked it so I just ordered one. My ss is now down to 88-90 but I still have a fairly quick transition. The stiff shaft actually felt the best, according to the Miyazaki e-mails that should be correct. I haven't been able to try the 3 wood but I am interested in it. For those of you that have one, I am wondering if I would be better off with the reg flex in the 3 wood instead of the stiff or does the stiff work the same in the 3 wood as it does in the driver?

Earl

I have the stiff in both the CG Driver and 3 wood and love it. The 3 wood absolutely bombs the ball, and I like that it is the exact same swing as the driver. The 3 wood picks the ball off the turf very nicely.

I tried the Black and really liked it so I just ordered one. My ss is now down to 88-90 but I still have a fairly quick transition. The stiff shaft actually felt the best, according to the Miyazaki e-mails that should be correct. I haven't been able to try the 3 wood but I am interested in it. For those of you that have one, I am wondering if I would be better off with the reg flex in the 3 wood instead of the stiff or does the stiff work the same in the 3 wood as it does in the driver?

Earl

I bought the driver and 3W with regular shafts at the same time. My swing speed is 87-89, but after seeing the input from Miyazaki I have the stiff shaft coming for the driver. I do not notice the softness so much on the 3W. Like Chewie69 said, it really is long and easy to get the ball airborne. I am sticking with the regular on this one unless the stiff on the driver makes me change my mind.

I bought the driver and 3W with regular shafts at the same time. My swing speed is 87-89, but after seeing the input from Miyazaki I have the stiff shaft coming for the driver. I do not notice the softness so much on the 3W. Like Chewie69 said, it really is long and easy to get the ball airborne. I am sticking with the regular on this one unless the stiff on the driver makes me change my mind.
Thanks for the response. This is what I am wondering on the flex. I know with the driver the shaft is longer and I'm sure the head has more mass. Will the shaft react the same or with our ss will the reg be a better choice in the 3 wood. I know I loved the feel of the stiff in the driver. I just wish there some place near me that I could hit the 3 wood from the turf to really see how the stiff vs reg reacts.

Earl

The stiff in the 3W felt like a true stiff to me while the stiff in the driver felt more like a regular

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Took the Black out again today for 18 holes at a new course, turned out to be a great test for both myself and the club. This course was very reminiscent of a mountain course, lots of undulations and if you missed the fairway by more than a few yards you were in some serious junk. Thankfully the Black affords me a great deal of forgiveness for courses like this.

Felt like I drove the ball pretty well today, hitting 7/11 fairways when I used the Black, course layout dictated less than driver on a few occasions. No big misses except for one fluke swing that yielded a giant high hook, something I have never seen with this driver. On the good side I didn't see the high and right miss, even though I was swinging for the fences today. Even on misses out towards the toe I was still seeing a straight ball, though the ball flight was a touch higher than I would've liked.

Earlier on in the testing I noted how the ball seemed to launch pretty high and had a steep descent angle, well as I suspected then it was partly due to my swing getting a little steep and imparting excess backspin. Well after a few weeks of trying to flatten out my driver swing I can happily report that I've seen the overall shot height come down as well. This has led to increased carry and roll, both welcome things for a golfer like me.

Certainly a good chance that there will be a Cleveland Black in my Morgan Cup bag, which is something I'm pretty excited about after the past few months of testing.

Took the Black out again today for 18 holes at a new course, turned out to be a great test for both myself and the club. This course was very reminiscent of a mountain course, lots of undulations and if you missed the fairway by more than a few yards you were in some serious junk. Thankfully the Black affords me a great deal of forgiveness for courses like this.

Felt like I drove the ball pretty well today, hitting 7/11 fairways when I used the Black, course layout dictated less than driver on a few occasions. No big misses except for one fluke swing that yielded a giant high hook, something I have never seen with this driver. On the good side I didn't see the high and right miss, even though I was swinging for the fences today. Even on misses out towards the toe I was still seeing a straight ball, though the ball flight was a touch higher than I would've liked.

Earlier on in the testing I noted how the ball seemed to launch pretty high and had a steep descent angle, well as I suspected then it was partly due to my swing getting a little steep and imparting excess backspin. Well after a few weeks of trying to flatten out my driver swing I can happily report that I've seen the overall shot height come down as well. This has led to increased carry and roll, both welcome things for a golfer like me.

Certainly a good chance that there will be a Cleveland Black in my Morgan Cup bag, which is something I'm pretty excited about after the past few months of testing.
Good stuff, SW, glad you are seeing that ball flight come down. Pretty solid testament to your time with the Black driver that you think you will be gaming it in the MC 2.0.

Good stuff, SW, glad you are seeing that ball flight come down. Pretty solid testament to your time with the Black driver that you think you will be gaming it in the MC 2.0.

I haven't forgot about our earlier conversation either. I'm thinking a 9* head and a Kasula White or the c. kua from the classic.

I haven't forgot about our earlier conversation either. I'm thinking a 9* head and a Kasula White or the c. kua from the classic.

I'd swing that. I bet it's awesome too.

Dude, that's a serious thought there. The C. Kua 43 from the Classic in the Black could be a very, very good setup.

Sounds like a good set up for you bro, I think the 9* with the white would be wicked with your swing.

Played in some serious wind yesterday. I think the CGB must have been nervous because I've been carrying one of my old Nike drivers with me lately. Let me tell you that is not the case after yesterday. Started off and ended a little rough yesterday, which was all me, but in the middle of the round I fell into a groove where I was really bombing this thing. Didn't matter where the wind was blowing. I've been going to lessons and making a swing change that has messed with my contact throughout the bag. Finally had a moment of clarity yesterday. I'm actually transitioning much faster after that, but it's a much more fluid motion. Seemed to be working. I think I just got tired towards the end.

I've been lowering my tee height a bunch. To the point where I can now use short tees for everything... Seemed to help some yesterday. Still seeing a fairly high ball flight, but it's not ballooning as much and is rolling out a fair bit.

I know it's been posted, but another endorsement for the Winn Lite Hero grip if you're looking to move up to a Midsize. I put one on earlier this week and I love it so far. Good cause and it looks mean.

SW - I'm really interested to see how that works for you. Keep us posted!

Played this today for 3 holes and actually ended up using my R9ST for the rest. Just wasn't feeling the shaft today since I wanted to jump hard on it. The 3 shots I had with it were pretty good and got good distance but I just was getting a bit more offline with each shot and was watching my pulls come back because it was so light.

I've been working out a lot lately and working on my swing and I think I am starting to swing over what the driver was made for now. I've been letting a friend use it who has a much slower swing speed than me and he has really fallen in love with this driver. He hit 10/14 FIRs and was about 10-15 yards longer than he usually is with his 910D2.

I am bummed about being too fast now but hopefully I can get my hands on a CG Black Tour when it comes out or I might reshaft this thing because I love how forgiving the club head is as well as how nice it feels at impact.

I just left an Edwin Watts demo day and I'm selling my Razr Fit! I got on the launch monitors with my Razr Fit and it was what I've been getting: 11-13 launch, 2600-2900 spin, carry of 261-271. I then tried the D2, and got very similar numbers except for about 5 yards less on carry. I then went to the Cleveland tent. I hit the Cleveland Black TOUR, with stock Miyazaki 59S shaft, 7.5 degree head. 283, 285, 291 CARRY! Again 11.4-13 launch, 2400-2600 spin, 160 ball speed!!! Done! Called Blind 9! Wow! I hit everything and this head was 15-20 yards longer on carry. Wow...

Congrats Pkielwa! I am sure you will love it as much as I do. Big time game changer when youstart hitting 80-90% of the fairways.

I just left an Edwin Watts demo day and I'm selling my Razr Fit! I got on the launch monitors with my Razr Fit and it was what I've been getting: 11-13 launch, 2600-2900 spin, carry of 261-271. I then tried the D2, and got very similar numbers except for about 5 yards less on carry. I then went to the Cleveland tent. I hit the Cleveland Black TOUR, with stock Miyazaki 59S shaft, 7.5 degree head. 283, 285, 291 CARRY! Again 11.4-13 launch, 2400-2600 spin, 160 ball speed!!! Done! Called Blind 9! Wow! I hit everything and this head was 15-20 yards longer on carry. Wow...

Congrats on finding something that works that well for you!

I've been toying with the idea of throwing a more stout shaft in the non-tour version. I think I'm gonna wait though as it was working pretty well for me this weekend.

Enjoy!

Called Cleveland, can have Black Tour built and shipped in 3-5 days. Blind 9 Golf just matched a price for me, so I ordered through them! Hoping to be on the course with my new Black Tour by next weekend!!! I'm stoked! Thanks Blind 9!!!!

Man I think the Cleveland Black Tour answers every issue I had with this driver not matching my swing perfectly.

Man I think the Cleveland Black Tour answers every issue I had with this driver not matching my swing perfectly.

My thoughts exactly. Cant wait to get my hands on one to try out.

I hear ya Chunky as the Tour version is just calling my name for some reason. I will definitely put it on my list to demo in a couple of weeks.

My thoughts exactly. Cant wait to get my hands on one to try out.

I hear ya Chunky as the Tour version is just calling my name for some reason. I will definitely put it on my list to demo in a couple of weeks.

We're all in the same boat - just a little more stout and it'd be perfect.

Back