Learning Paint fill skills.

Dr.Deuss

Reaction score
Handicap
After seeing some paint work done by other members, I got the bug and decided to give it a try. I used an Elmer's paint pen, which is acrylic, and did my wedges and putter. The grooves on the Method look amazing, and I'm copyrighting the idea. :wink: They could still use some retouching and clean up, and I'm having a hard time trying to paint my irons. The paint just won't stick. Any idea if Oil-Based paint is a better way to go?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16087064/Paintfill/IMG_0592.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16087064/Paintfill/IMG_0593.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16087064/Paintfill/IMG_0595.jpg

The thing about the elmers is you have to shake them well, and make sure you let a lot of paint fill the tip, I've done great surf with my clubs, sure it was hard at first but once the paint pen has been used a little bit, the paint fill is perfect and it even stands the hard brush that I use for cleaning my clubs.

Putter looks great! Wedges are sloppy though. Keep practicing, you'll get it down.

One thing about paint filling the vokeys, you have to be patient and run it over a few times, here is a picture of my old pokey wedge. It took forever but It worked after a while, one thing that will help is to remove the paint originally on there

7410834254_d1bc511ff7.jpg

Putter looks great! Wedges are sloppy though. Keep practicing, you'll get it down.
Thanks. Wedges are definitely sloppy. That was the first go at it and I wanted to see how it holds up to the elements.

This. Keep working on it, a Q-Tip with nail polish remover works well for clean up after painting. Gotta go slow and make sure you get everything. I tend to overfill and then clean up after.

The putter looks damn good though, imo.

One thing about paint filling the vokeys, you have to be patient and run it over a few times, here is a picture of my old pokey wedge. It took forever but It worked after a while, one thing that will help is to remove the paint originally on there
Do you let it dry and do a couple layers, or do you mean just put more on at once? I watched the video you shared about the titleist tour van guys, which is what inspired me. Do you know what kind of paint they were using?

Do you let it dry and do a couple layers, or do you mean just put more on at once? I watched the video you shared about the titleist tour van guys, which is what inspired me. Do you know what kind of paint they were using?

It seems to bond to itself so I let it dry for like 10 min, clean it then do another layer until it doesn't leave unpainted parts. In the video they use exactly the paint pens we have. It's really hard to get ti right sometimes especially the vokeys for some reason.

I use a q tip with acetone to clean the small details where I know that touching the paint could take it off. Also the stamping on the Vokeys is shallower than other clubs I've done which is why it's harder not to strip the paint off with a single wipe

Just for reference, you'll know you put enough paint when they look like this

7360846072_864ea6e8e5.jpg

Then let it dry, and wipe away

You know what, when you look at them real close, they are sloppy. However, from few feet away, they would look good.

Doing a 2 coat is never a problem and will take care of all those spots you missed on the first try.

Just like painting a wall. Never get everything at once...2nd coat will take care of those missed spots.

Have fun.

You know what, when you look at them real close, they are sloppy. However, from few feet away, they would look good.

Doing a 2 coat is never a problem and will take care of all those spots you missed on the first try.

Just like painting a wall. Never get everything at once...2nd coat will take care of those missed spots.

Have fun.

That's exactly why I put two layers on, it makes it look really good after it's done!

They turned out really well!

7415171062_68d11399e9_z.jpg

A technique I've found works well is a combination of automotive touchup paint and clear coat. Since most of the paint fill is in cavities, brushes can be rather effective. What I do is clean the cavity then run the brush over it to put a first fill and let it set. Repeat the process once or twice more to get an even fill. Don't worry about excess paint running out onto the flat surface. That'll get cleaned up next. Once the final layer has set, alternate brushing clear coat and wiping with a paper towel/blotter to remove the paint outside of the desired fill area. You're basically using the solvent in the clear coat to soften the excess paint. Once the surface is cleaned up nicely, hit it with one or two layers of clear coat to seal it up and let it set. With a little practice you'll be doing professional looking paint jobs in no time.

One thing to note about paint fills. If they are on the sole of the club, expect to redo them every couple of months, especially in sandy conditions, because it will wear off quickly.

The putter looks great, the vokeys are ok. My vokeys were hard to do too. keep goin!

Really like that putter. There is also a lot of info on things that worked and didn't work so well in the "paint fill sorry for the delay thread"

Thanks everyone, I've already redone the wedges, and finished the putter. Also painted the Mizuno emblem on all my irons. Being patient on the drying process makes a huge difference, and I need to pick up some fresh acetone. I'll post some fresh pics in a couple days when I get some free time.

That putter looked amazing by the way! I'm actually doing another paint fill on my 4 iron since I'm going to try not using a 4 hybrid

Back