Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I love seeing all the hard work you guys are doing. It's cool how something like this can be so motivational. I predict some major life changes going on here. Good luck in reaching your goals!

BTW, I saw a video on the birdieball putting greens and they sell a little square build up that goes under the cup and raises the cup a little to make it deeper. If you're not happy with the depth of their cups, contact them for more information on that.

Best wishes guys!!

I plan on putting myself in as many pressure situations as I can. I like the pressure personally.

Set your putting green up next to the highway. That should add a lot of pressure!

My game needs so much work I don't know where to start. Hoping to take some lessons but my cash flow just took a massive hit. If not I will continue to pound balls and work on some little things like better setup and alignment. My short game is a mess and will get the bulk of my practice time over the winter. I need to get better with regards to chipping. I should have a lot more tap ins but I leave myself with 5 footers. And that brings me to my final need. I really need to work on my putting. I feel like my stroke is pretty good. I need to work on my green reading and my pace. I tend to leave putts really short or just blow them by the hole. I need to get more consistent with my speed

I started my prep last night. I carried my flip cam in one hand, video on the other all while trying to keep the sweat our my eye for the heat of my sauna. I'll continue this training all week. Next week I'm going to film from thick swampy brush to get some unique shot training.....what...support staff has to train as well

I will share several things that are key for me. While I am not having any major overhauls, there is some minor tweaking to be done.

1) Take a few lessons with the pro at my course to see if I can make minor tweaks to helping with the occasional right shoulder dipping which causes a massive fat shot
2) Continued work on everything within 100 yards including putting
3) Weight workouts 3x/week to build a little more muscle and just be in better shape
4) Start doing yoga 2-3x/week to help alleviate the constant lower back pains that I experience

I think that's about it. Want to keep it fairly simple and give me tasks that are attainable.

Thanks for throwing this thread up, it will help to keep me on track as well that it is fun to follow my fellow Morgan Cuppers through their preparation process.

I started my prep last night. I carried my flip cam in one hand, video on the other all while trying to keep the sweat our my eye for the heat of my sauna. I'll continue this training all week. Next week I'm going to film from thick swampy brush to get some unique shot training.....what...support staff has to train as well

While that was funny, few people will be able to bring this event to the people better and I mean that seriously. You know what people want to see and how to capture it. Plus you will still be at the Morgan Cup with your friends and a part of this huge event.

Keeping the sweat out of the eyes is key. Are you thinking lessons or going indie style

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Set your putting green up next to the highway. That should add a lot of pressure!

That would certainly teach me concentration haha. Kind of like combining golf and Frogger.

The MC will gain so much from your help in so many different ways. You are a true asset bro.

I have started running again. I ran 3 miles yesterday and I plan on running at least 3 times per week. I can't hit the range as much during the winter, but I am swinging my clubs every night in my apartment working on ingraining certain things. I also putt a lot in my apartment.

For my early preparation, I am going to play rounds differently than I normally do. Different tee boxes, mixed tee boxes, etc as I work on using different clubs and shots into greens. Like TC, I am also going to play Match Play rather than stroke for many of my rounds as it is a different animal completely.

Love to see the goals and plans laid out. I wish you all good luck in acheiving whatever it is you are looking to get done. Regardless of the team you're on, I want to see everybody playing well in July.

@Tadashi - that's funny dude :) I'm hoping I can remember the no-bad-word rule in the heat of the moment!

@Tadashi - that's funny dude :) I'm hoping I can remember the no-bad-word rule in the heat of the moment!

That one is hard to follow.

Freddie has also allowed me to pick his brain a little bit and I really appreciate his consideration.

My game needs so much work I don't know where to start. Hoping to take some lessons but my cash flow just took a massive hit. If not I will continue to pound balls and work on some little things like better setup and alignment. My short game is a mess and will get the bulk of my practice time over the winter. I need to get better with regards to chipping. I should have a lot more tap ins but I leave myself with 5 footers. And that brings me to my final need. I really need to work on my putting. I feel like my stroke is pretty good. I need to work on my green reading and my pace. I tend to leave putts really short or just blow them by the hole. I need to get more consistent with my speed

I think by keeping it simple and not so much volume, you'll be better off. I highlighted the bold because while I plan on doing lessons, the basics are whats going to really help in this event. I think it's fantastic to want to improve and be the best golfer you can be, but the stuff that doesnt cost anything (chipping, putting, short game) is going to pay off more than any swing fixes. From what I know of your game, you'll be more than fine and thats not saying don't improve.. but it's also saying you're going to be great no matter what.

The pressure is not something I can describe until you'll there. The 4 foot putts to win the hole for your team suddenly become the hardest freaking putt of your life.

I just spent 2.5 hours at the range yesterday... 1.5 hours putting with my brother.. It was a good session and we plan on doing htat every week. With incentives, it should be a very good practice routine.

For any of the northern MCers, how are you guys preparing, if at all? I have been trying to work on my takeaway and release with my 52* and a chipping mat.

For any of the northern MCers, how are you guys preparing, if at all? I have been trying to work on my takeaway and release with my 52* and a chipping mat.

I chip and putt on the utility carpet at home. For chipping, I'm just working on contact. For putting, I'm just working on my stroke and posture.

I also have a putting mat and I take 3-7 foot putts over and over.

I also have an inside facility to use for full swings, chipping and putting, but it's expensive.

I am playing against TC in about 45 minutes. If I can take down one of the best players in TMC 2.0 then I can take down anyone. I still havent yet, but I wont stop trying!

I am playing against TC in about 45 minutes. If I can take down one of the best players in TMC 2.0 then I can take down anyone. I still havent yet, but I wont stop trying!

Good luck bro. I hope you both play well. Take big brother out!

Love to see the goals and plans laid out. I wish you all good luck in acheiving whatever it is you are looking to get done. Regardless of the team you're on, I want to see everybody playing well in July.

Um yeah I didn't do so hot on that one last time around!

I'm getting a new putting mat, going to order a Birdie Ball right after the holidays and get completely focused on putting for a solid 4 months while I wait out this storm.

I started my journey to Myrtle Beach yesterday through some on course evaluation of my game. I broke it down into 7 areas since I have about 7 months to work on me.

Driving: My most comfortable area, certainly room for improvement though.

Fairways and Hybrids: Off the tee these can be feast or famine, and after looking at True Blue and Caledonia I'm thinking these are some clubs I need to be solid off the tee with. From the fairway I need to improve on swinging in to out instead of straight through the back of the ball.

Irons: Hello inconsistency! I could go out two days in a row and have two totally different experiences. I've improved a lot with these clubs, but there is still plenty of mountain left to climb. Going to focus on two things, using some type of training to help me minimize the chunked shot, and focus on getting a go-to shot of some type.

Wedges: Have to improve my 100yd shots, no two ways about that. Also need to regain some touch with the short shots from just off the green.

Putting: I'm not far from turning a corner here, but I always pull a boneheaded putt somewhere along the way. I'll be working on form at home at every chance to give me some confidence that my stroke is solid.

Sand: I don't like sand, it gets in my shoes and sticks to everything. I'm not worried about sticking it close from a bunker, I just want to get out in 1. Lately, that has become a challenge and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Management: Since I'm going to be playing new courses in a pressure packed scenario I need to have a firm grasp on course management. When to leave driver in the bag, when to lay up, and seeing the course. I plan on moving around and playing different courses from different tee's to keep things changing as well hitting every club in my bag.

Sand: I don't like sand, it gets in my shoes and sticks to everything. I'm not worried about sticking it close from a bunker, I just want to get out in 1. Lately, that has become a challenge and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

What is strange for me is that my sand game is probably the best part of my game right now even though I am not in bunkers very much. What really helped me is that bunker video THP did with that LPGA gal. Completely turned my bunker game around.

This had me rolling, awesome.

Just remember: Son of a biscuit eating bulldog, and what the french toast was that, and you will do fine buddy.

Guys lets keep this to the preparation side of things. Thanks.

I will be more than happy to help you train....
For my early preparation, I am going to play rounds differently than I normally do. Different tee boxes, mixed tee boxes, etc as I work on using different clubs and shots into greens. Like TC, I am also going to play Match Play rather than stroke for many of my rounds as it is a different animal completely.

I will be more than happy to help you train....

JB needs to play against bad golfers in order to get ready for Team Hackers and Paradise.

Any MCers have tips for not releasing the club head early?

Back