Mizuno MP-R12 Wedge Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This was a great review of yet another great looking Mizuno product. The custom sole grinds and DG Spinners could make this wedge a real winner. Thanks for the review!

Great and very thorough review Todd! A few things really stood out to me while reading this:

- liked how they used different finishes to eliminate virtually any chance of glare
- sexy wedge is right, classic sleek look to it. No big bold lettering or plastic inserts, etc
- sounds like a monster which I would like to try
- love the DG spinners as standard. When given the chance, I want some.
- disappointed to hear about ball chewing. I would never touch the Jaws because of that and have recently watched the older Vokey's doing it as well. Hard to knowingly scuff a 3-4 dollar ball.

Thanks again for the solid review.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Nicely done Hanks!

Being a former mpt-11 Guy yourself, would you game these over the mpt-11s?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thorough Hanks, very thorough. I've been looking forward to your review and you didn't disappoint. I'm assuming it was a pretty easy process going from the MP-T11's to these? They sure do look great, that's a huge selling point for me. I do think it would've been useful had they provided a gap wedge for you to test. I typically utilize that wedge more for full shots and I prefer to use the sand/lob wedges for shots that don't necessarily require a full swing at it. Good job though man!

Loved it Hanks! I think there is a ton of technology for the price... One quick question, do you know if the 50* comes with the same spinner flex as the other wedges? IIRC there are two spinners and one of them is geared more towards the full shots and what not. I dont want to hijack but I really am interested in these wedges down the road, I love the fact this shaft is standard.

Well done! I really like the fact that more and more wedges are coming stock with higher end shafts.

Great review tons of info! These wedges are packed with technology! The loft specific sole geometry is a great feature that really stands out for me on these wedges. I'm looking to get new wedges and these will be on my list to demo.

They definitely look nice. I loved the explanation of the loft specific sole geometry. I think that's a pretty cool feature to incorporate into a wedge. Thanks for the review, Hanks!

Good review Todd. Have been looking at these.

Great review T, you really did a great job on this one. I love the looks and the quad cut milled face sounds like it is just what a lot of people need to be able to get some spin on their golf balls. I'm not cray about hearing that it chews up softer cover balls though, I realize that comes with the territory but man replacing a $45/doz ball every couple holes gets expensive in a hurry!

Thanks for the great write up, sounds like Mizuno has a great wedge on their hands.

Nice review buddy. You really packed a bunch of information in there, and this is a really good looking wedge. I just wish all lofts were available in LH. Any chance we will see that in the future?

Tough call man without being able to hit the 50* GW but I think with all things being equal I would. At the very least it has me pondering the Spinner shafts again vs my current wedge shafts which replaced them. When I first got them I could tell they were different in a good way and when I first started hitting them I felt like they'd make me a better wedge player. The custom sole grind is legit and will really help people from a variety of lies. I actually think that these could help my bunker game a bit too with how they set up and how the sole looks like it would carve through the sand better than the 11's. Unfortuantely I couldn't test this out much due to the weather and bunker conditions here but I have a feeling they'd work great.

Nicely done Hanks!

Being a former mpt-11 Guy yourself, would you game these over the mpt-11s?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

These definitely don't eat balls like the JAWS do Cookie. I just noted that there was some roughing of the balls but I don't think one would need to replace a ball every other hole or anyhting with these.

Great and very thorough review Todd! A few things really stood out to me while reading this:

- liked how they used different finishes to eliminate virtually any chance of glare
- sexy wedge is right, classic sleek look to it. No big bold lettering or plastic inserts, etc
- sounds like a monster which I would like to try
- love the DG spinners as standard. When given the chance, I want some.
- disappointed to hear about ball chewing. I would never touch the Jaws because of that and have recently watched the older Vokey's doing it as well. Hard to knowingly scuff a 3-4 dollar ball.

Thanks again for the solid review.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Thanks dude. I agree that a GW would've been nice as it's the wedge I use the most for full shots too with the SW and LW being more for chipping and pitching but I think adding one to the bag would be super easy to get used to. I think the transition from an 11 to a 12 would be a no-brainer and whil I think the 11 may feel a bit heavier (in a good way) I think the 12 may be a bit more versatile with the different grinds yet still retain the same kind of feel as the 11 has..

Thorough Hanks, very thorough. I've been looking forward to your review and you didn't disappoint. I'm assuming it was a pretty easy process going from the MP-T11's to these? They sure do look great, that's a huge selling point for me. I do think it would've been useful had they provided a gap wedge for you to test. I typically utilize that wedge more for full shots and I prefer to use the sand/lob wedges for shots that don't necessarily require a full swing at it. Good job though man!

Gracias mi amigo! Off the top of my head I think the 50-54's have a wedge+ flex while the 56-64's have a wedge flex

Loved it Hanks! I think there is a ton of technology for the price... One quick question, do you know if the 50* comes with the same spinner flex as the other wedges? IIRC there are two spinners and one of them is geared more towards the full shots and what not. I dont want to hijack but I really am interested in these wedges down the road, I love the fact this shaft is standard.

This is defintiely something that sets these apart from a cluttered wedge market that's for sure

Great review tons of info! These wedges are packed with technology! The loft specific sole geometry is a great feature that really stands out for me on these wedges. I'm looking to get new wedges and these will be on my list to demo.

Thanks buddy. I think with the quad grooves/milled face combo someone is going to scuff or chew balls to an extent no matter what. Especially if you have the proper technique to do so. There's a lot of ruffage on the face of these wedges that you can't get around ya know?

Great review T, you really did a great job on this one. I love the looks and the quad cut milled face sounds like it is just what a lot of people need to be able to get some spin on their golf balls. I'm not cray about hearing that it chews up softer cover balls though, I realize that comes with the territory but man replacing a $45/doz ball every couple holes gets expensive in a hurry!

Thanks for the great write up, sounds like Mizuno has a great wedge on their hands.

Sounds like Mizuno will have at least two great wedge offerings for 2012.

Great review Hanks. Enjoyed reading that.The custom grind on the different wedges is pretty interesting. Seems like quite a few companies are moving away from just offering a specific bounce number and going towards really fitting their wedges to the shots we play. That can only be a good thing.
Sounds like these are pretty spin-intensive too! Beautiful wedges.

And that's a great thing for the consumer.....buying as club off the rack that's already been customized for you to an extent? oh yeah

Great review Hanks. Enjoyed reading that.The custom grind on the different wedges is pretty interesting. Seems like quite a few companies are moving away from just offering a specific bounce number and going towards really fitting their wedges to the shots we play. That can only be a good thing.
Sounds like these are pretty spin-intensive too! Beautiful wedges.

I don't know, I'm a little disappointed with the bounce offerings. I use a 54* and 58* wedges, and I would like a little more bounce than 9 and 10 degrees, respectively. Not sure I would like these in the sand. OTOH, I'm certainly willing to try out whatever sole design Mizuno provides with those clubs before writing them off.

as would I however this is something Mizuno has done for a few years now so I'm sure there's a method to their madness

I don't know, I'm a little disappointed with the bounce offerings. I use a 54* and 58* wedges, and I would like a little more bounce than 9 and 10 degrees, respectively. Not sure I would like these in the sand. OTOH, I'm certainly willing to try out whatever sole design Mizuno provides with those clubs before writing them off.

Perfect review. I NEED these. Glad to see just about every aspect of the wedge covered in the review.

Nice review.

I've always liked the looks of Mizuno wedges and this one is no different. I don't like that they tear up the balls though. I'd love to try them out some day, but I'm not sure that these would be for me.

Exceelent review by Hanks.

Rusty- I bought these a couple of weeks ago (picked up a 48-06, 52-07 and 56-13) and I agree with pretty much everything Hanks has said (I tested the Volkeys, CG16's, Ping Anser Forged, and the Cobra Trusty Rusty before picking the MPR 12's, which just felt so much better than anything else and seem so much easier to use (the sole geometry makes a massive difference)!)! Just one thing about the bounce/bounce options on the higher lofted wedges...as stated I have a 56 degree wedge and I've got that with a 13 degree bounce (was readily available in the shop I was at, with the other option fore the 56 being a ten degree bounce). Most people I have spoken with reccomend that the loft of the SW should be in the 54-56 degree range (and usually never over 56), so it makes sense that Mizuno would offer the higher bounce on the 56 degree rather than the 58 (which I think they see as more of a lower lofted lob wedge- hence the lower loft). Not sure that makes sense...but if you're looking for a 58 degree wedge to hit high balls with a lot of spin out of soft sand, then the 58-10 Mizuno would (logically, i haven't tried them) be tougher to hit. I'm new on here so hope I haven't spoken out of turn...just wanted to respond to something here because I feel very strongly about the MPR12's (i.e. massive fan of the club!!!!).

Back