asca2

Reaction score
Handicap
I will be playing a course which will have caddies available. I was wondering what is a proper gratuity for a caddie. I have heard you just give them as much as their fee, so for example $50 tip if their services cost $50. Is this ok? I am sorry if this question has been answered before; I tried to search for it but couldn't find anything.

I have never used a caddy but I would think 30 - 40 bucks would be good but if you have a staff bag or carry a lot of balls and stuff so the bag is heavy I would give them a little more.

Good question. I've never played with a caddy and I'm sure several of us haven't. It'll be interesting to see the answers.

There are only 2 courses in my area that have caddies: Victoria National (where the Web.com tour played this week) and The Pete Dye course in French Lick. I doubt I'll ever play either but will remember the answers just in case.

Ive caddied in the past, and it all depends on how low their service fees really are. Are they carrying 2 bags? If so, 130-150 (split between you and the other bag) is on the appreciative end. You can always just ask what the going rate is to the caddie master or even the caddie. Right away by his answer you will know whether he is trying to scheist you for more, or being honest. If he was honest, Id usually go 5-10 more.

I'm a caddie, and here's how it is at the club I caddy at. The minimum to pay a caddie is $20. So you could just give them $20 and leave if you wanted. The course is pretty expensive to play (>$100), and what I usually make for a bag is like $60-$90 total (fee and tip). Anywhere in that range. That seems about right to me. For a double bag I've gotten anywhere from $80-$140. I'd say $100 total is probably a bit much for a single bag. Were I to get a caddie I'd probably pay them from $50-$90 depending on how they were (attitude, knowledge, etc).

If he is carrying your clubs then yes $60-$80 for the loop. If he is forecadding for the whole group he gets $20-$40 depending on how your day went

I always ask at the pro shop and then adjust based on service and whether the caddie has one bag or two. If my caddie has only my bag, I tip a bit more. The amount varies, if you are playing a high-dollar course the caddie fee will be pretty high.

For a fore caddie, even though they work their tail off, it is usually much less per golfer as the fee is generally split four ways. Again ask at the pro shop, then adjust according to service.

An example to answer the original question: I ask at the pro shop and am told the "suggested" caddie fee is 80 so I might pay a total of 100 if he carries two bags or maybe 125 if he only has one bag. Again, it is based on the suggested fee.

I just had this question for my first round with a forecaddie at Sawgrass. They recommended a minimum of $20 per player for a forecaddie, more if the service was good. I went with $30 after the round. Asking at the pro shop (or call ahead so you are prepared) is the way to go.

I don't anticipate ever playing with a caddy. Unless it's at Pebble Beach, and since that would mean that I won the lottery, the caddy would be tipped very nicely.

looks like caddyin' pays a little better than when I was doing it back in the early-mid 70s. :act-up:

A typical tip for us back then was at least 20% of the minimum caddy charge imposed by the club, and at least a cold beverage at the turn...I usually also got lunch by all except the excessively cheapo or caddy-inexperienced clients. club members usually paid well and sprung for lunch as I believe it counted toward their monthly restaurant minimum.

I play numerous work-type events (and other events) each year where we use caddies. I also looped for a while as a youngster. I usually start at $50 a bag and work upward if they are good and have local expertise, etc. I rarely go below $50 ($40 if they are terrible).

I have played two locations that use caddies. I always ask someone in the know to find out the rates.

At Bandon they say it is a matter strictly between you and the caddie...but people commonly pay an amount between X and Z. I was happy with the caddie's performance and simply picked a mid range number (let's call it Y) and didn't really differentiate between fee or gratuity - that was simply the total amount I was comfortable paying.

The other facility is a friend's country club. The first time I played there I asked him what the rates were and I paid that amount. After that I decided I would pay whatever he paid so I just ask him what he's going to pay and do the same thing. My rationale is that I am a guest and I might like to be invited back again. Hopefully this approach makes it easier for him and eliminates any possibility of him getting labeled the member who has cheap guests.

It cost more at Bandon but the caddie's performance was much better there too. It can get a little spendy but I try to think of it as a unique (special) experience and just go with it.

Interesting thread. Do most places that have caddies charge a base fee to use a caddy? I've heard its required to use a caddy at some places...

Opinions are ranging from 20% to 200% gratuity? Obviously there is a wide range of services being offered by caddies of different ages & experience.

I would ask in the pro shop or the caddie master first. I think a lot of it has to do with location. I know a lot of the clubs here in the MET section the caddies start at $70/bag and up with a c note per bag not being that unusual.

Keep in mind that a lot will have to do with how you feel the caddy performed, but I am not opposed to a tip that doubles their rate for a good caddy.

The ones that I have played at with caddie, basically all in South Florida, seem to recommend $100 per caddie, to be divided between the group. These are forecaddies.

I don't anticipate ever playing with a caddy. Unless it's at Pebble Beach, and since that would mean that I won the lottery, the caddy would be tipped very nicely.

Same here. I have never even been to a course that has caddies.

Do they really carry two bags sometimes? That sounds terrible.

Yep. When I play at Erin Hills, the caddy carries two bags. It is particulary tough on this course, because the course is VERY long, has rolling hills and the tee boxes are very far from the preceding green.

Yikes.

A lot of caddies carry two bags at once, particularly at clubs that get a lot of play and might noit have enought caddies.

yeah. when I've done it, it wasn't so much the weight of toting the bags as it was dashing around because your clients hit in opposite directions. this could get rough on a warm day toting 2 staff bags.

on the plus side, there were many times when a client would simply have me pull their hand cart around. I had regular lady clients who did this. They were more concerned with being waited on (ie: tend the pin, rake their traps, etc...) so they could spend time socializing with the girls. If you provided good club selection and swing advice, (have the right club ready before they ask for it) there was always a good tip for you.

I think most prefer two bags to increase their income.

When I am on the road I use a light carry bag for three reasons and one reason is if there is a chance of using a caddie. Also, it takes less room in the vehicle and sometimes I wind up carrying my bag when traveling so I want it light. (I use a push cart at home)

I'm going to be playing an expensive course this year (Atunyote at Turning Stone) which is normally about $250 per round. I will be going as a single so if they don't put me with anyone, what should I tip the forecaddie? I'd hate to just give them $25 since they would be missing out on a full group tip but $100 seems a bit much as well. I was thinking around $50 if I end up going out as a single.

looks like caddyin' pays a little better than when I was doing it back in the early-mid 70s. :act-up:

A typical tip for us back then was at least 20% of the minimum caddy charge imposed by the club, and at least a cold beverage at the turn...I usually also got lunch by all except the excessively cheapo or caddy-inexperienced clients. club members usually paid well and sprung for lunch as I believe it counted toward their monthly restaurant minimum.

Thanks for putting that in about drinks and lunch subvet. I doubt I would have even thought about that otherwise and looked like a cheapskate.

Double bagging is awesome. But sometimes it sucks. Obviously you make more, but on a hot day all the running back and forth you have to do sucks if your clients don't hit it near each other. I generally like it though.

Back