The Car Searching/Buying Thread

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I've gotten a lot of great information from the house thread and now I'm in the market for a new car and thought I'd gather as much information as I could on some new car choices.

To start it all off we're looking at a smaller sized SUV/Crossover with some 4WD capabilities that get's good gas mileage.

Short list:
Honda CRV
Toyota Rav4
Subaru Outback
Chevy Equinox
Ford Escape
Ford Edge

There have been a few other on/off the list but that's kind of the hot list right now. Any have pros and cons on any of them?

Always use Cars.com for all of your automotive research. Seriously.

Great list of cars you got there with some great things about all of them. Personally, I'm a bit of a Subaru homer. I just like the way the company conducts business myself. I also like that you get a car that is AWD, roomy, fuel efficient and has some great resale value.

I drive a 2010 Outback. Good gas mileage (I was coming off a 1999 Ford Ranger that got 19 or 20 hwy and about 15 overall), I got 31 mpg (by calculator, not the onboard computer) coming back to KC from North Carolina. Usually around 28 to 29 hwy and 24 to 25 overall. With you being in Nebraska, you would like the AWD.

I test drove the CRV too but the Outback gets better gas mileage (about 2 mpg) and I liked the comfort better than the CRV.

I would not recommend the current Ford Escape. I have one supplied by my work and it is not nice. Cheap interior and the gas mileage isn't that great. They are coming out with a new one in the next few months that is based off a european model and should be better.

We have a VW Tiguan, great except you can't fit good clubs across the back. Couldn't believe it, be sure to check that out with the small SUVs.

Agree on the Escape, I just got issued one last week as a rental car and came way very unimpressed.

Thanks for the info.

The gas mileage on the outbacks seems to be awesome, I rented and drove an equinox a couple weeks ago and loved it, MPG isn't as good as outback but it does have a V6. Can anyone compare the AWD between outback and Equinox?

I drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and came this close to buying their small SUV instead. It is seriously nice. I'm loving my car so would assume that the SUV is of equal quality.

I've got to get it in gear on the car shopping... For 10 years I drove 25 miles each way for work in my Camry while my wife drove her Expedition 2 miles each way... Now I drive 2.5 miles & she drives 25 miles per. She doesn't want to drive my 13 year old Camry & I don't really want her to. She wants an Edge or Toyota Venza... I'm thinking Focus or Corolla... maybe we'll meet in the middle and get a Fusion.

Who am I kidding...

I drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and came this close to buying their small SUV instead. It is seriously nice. I'm loving my car so would assume that the SUV is of equal quality.

Good call on the Sonata SE, they really are great cars! My wife is picking her new one up tomorrow, then in a few months when the new Santa Fe comes out we'll get that and I'll drive the Sonata.

Hyundai is definitely a contender these days and with there warranty, you can't beat it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just a reminder, Toyota does have a 2 year 24k free maintenance. Venza is as cool as anything else on the road today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not recommend the current Ford Escape. I have one supplied by my work and it is not nice. Cheap interior and the gas mileage isn't that great. They are coming out with a new one in the next few months that is based off a european model and should be better.

the new escape is on the road and dealer lots already

I'd also say to add the Mazda CX5 to the list, but honestly all cute ute/small SUV's make me die a little on the inside... they're no fun

for the same price, get a WRX hatchback which is much more fun although it does make you look like a dipwad ricer teen

I like my Subaru Forester myself but looking at the Subaru website I see that the 2013 Outback is out and gets better mileage than the 2012 Forester on the site. Wonder when the new Forester comes out and if it will get better mileage? But, for the most part, you can't go wrong with a Subaru so from your list I'd say Outback.

We had a 2003 CRV and just LOVED it. It got around 24-26 mpg. But my wife wanted more power. So, I got a great deal on a 2005 Accord 6cyl. She has a lead foot!!!

If I get another small SUV, I think that it will be between the CRV and a 6 cyl. RAV4. I love the power of the RAV4 6 cyl., 279 horses!! And they still get in the mid 20s mpg.

Good luck with your shopping!

the new escape is on the road and dealer lots already

I'd also say to add the Mazda CX5 to the list, but honestly all cute ute/small SUV's make me die a little on the inside... they're no fun

for the same price, get a WRX hatchback which is much more fun although it does make you look like a dipwad ricer teen

You're right. Why wouldn't I want to do that? :bulgy-eyes:

We've got a Volvo XC90. It's a great car. Gets around 24mpg. It's one of the safest cars you can buy which is the reason my wife wanted it.

I'm a Hyundai homer. First bought the Santa Fe and love it. Bought new Sonata this year and even more happy than Santa Fe purchase. I would recommend the Tucson also.

If you have a Costco membership, use their car buying program. Totally worth it. Great deal and no hassle. Bought both my Hyundai through the program and save at least $4000 off sticker.

**Tappin' from the center of the middle of the fairway**

I like my Subaru Forester myself but looking at the Subaru website I see that the 2013 Outback is out and gets better mileage than the 2012 Forester on the site. Wonder when the new Forester comes out and if it will get better mileage? But, for the most part, you can't go wrong with a Subaru so from your list I'd say Outback.

Did the Forester ever get better mileage than the Outback? When I bought in 2010, the Outback got two or three more mpg's than the Forester. It cost two to three thousand more, but I was looking long term.

Well the decision is made, we did a 2012 Chevy Equinox V6 AWD in Metallic Red, I'm off to pick it up in a little while. It test drove amazing, can't wait to get it home. Thanks for everyone on the info.

Well the decision is made, we did a 2012 Chevy Equinox V6 AWD in Metallic Red, I'm off to pick it up in a little while. It test drove amazing, can't wait to get it home. Thanks for everyone on the info.

Congrats on the new rig! I had an Equinox last week for my rental in Hawaii. It was a comfy ride and did well, but I couldn't figure out two things - how do you unlock all the passenger doors when you're the driver, and how do you stop the driver's set from resetting itself each time you removed the key from the ignition? I could not figure out either!

I an going to be buying a used car before too long. I need better gas mileage since my 11 mpg isn't cutting it. it just is hard to give up my pickup.

Tapin for bird

Starting to look around more seriously at the VW line. Like the Jetta, Passat and Tiguan. I love my truck but with an impending move I may need to free up some cash flow that a refinancing won't do.

--
Tapatalk2

Starting to look around more seriously at the VW line. Like the Jetta, Passat and Tiguan. I love my truck but with an impending move I may need to free up some cash flow that a refinancing won't do.

--
Tapatalk2

My gf and sister both have Jettas that I drive a good bit. My sister has a 07 base model with pretty much no options. My girlfriend has a pretty well equipped 2009. I don't know if you are looking new or used but both of theirs are the last body style. They drive great, especially on the hwy, there are cars out there with better mpg (unless we are talking diesel), but few of those cars are as "grown up" or enjoyable to drive. They are sports cars by no means, but the handle well enough, especially at speed, and can get out of their own way if need be. I am a no frills kind of person, so I actually prefer my sisters with cloth seats and a manual transmission to my gf's with leather, auto everything and an automatic. The one exception is I would get power seats. The seats in my sisters KILL my back on longish drives, as you could tell when we met in Naples.

I am getting serious about a new car, but am being pulled in so many different directions.

--
Tapatalk2

I really think a Jetta GLI is in my future. Passed by one at the VW dealership and fell in love. Good looking car for a decent price new off the lot. Plus VW just makes decent cars.

--
Tapatalk2

I used to own and drive some VW's. Mostly Jetta's. Super fun car but a bit expensive to maintain compared to other cars in that class.

Back