Luke Donald - "Rory Has More Talent"

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I actually find this quite interesting. False, but quite interesting.

"I think of the guys I've played out here on tour, Rory has the most talent that I've ever played with," he said at a press conference prior to the Dubai World Championship. He's young and he's got a great future ahead of him and I see him winning lots of tournaments and lots of majors."

"I know Tiger is very, very close and obviously I think Tiger's work ethic has always been tremendous, and his mindset, as well," Donald said. "I think his mindset is what has separated himself from the field when he was really at the top of the game. But in terms of talent, I think Rory has more talent."

This may get interesting. Gonna enjoy having all 3 of these guys playing good golf next year on the PGA tour.

Tappin' from my iPad!

You can have the most talent in the world, unless that shows up when you get to the course for tournament all that talent does not matter. Having said that I think that right now, Rory is the better golfer.

Man, a statement like this really makes me hope that Tiger gets it back. It seems like the pros forget that they turned to jello when Tiger was in the hunt. Haven't really seen anyone fold because of Rory.

Huh. I wonder how Rory will respond to this one. I wonder why Luke felt the need to say this to the media.

• Admin
Man, a statement like this really makes me hope that Tiger gets it back. It seems like the pros forget that they turned to jello when Tiger was in the hunt. Haven't really seen anyone fold because of Rory.

Except Rory.

Huh. I wonder how Rory will respond to this one. I wonder why Luke felt the need to say this to the media.

This is just Luke being Luke.

Except Rory.

This is just Luke being Luke.

Haha Rory is afraid of Rory. Honestly Tiger has/had more raw talent just in his short game. The Euro's are going crazy with hyping this poor guy

They all kind of kiss each others butts now, well at least on twitter. I can't imagine that they all used to appear this nice to each other in the past.

Ready, Aim, (Kindle) FIRE!

Setting the stage for a great 2012! Haha, it's going to be a great year of golf..

I can't imagine that they all used to appear this nice to each other in the past.

Bring back Faldo and Monty! I agree that they're getting a little bit too close lately, I want some rivalry!

I was going to start this thread yesterday - didn't want to start another Tiger thread, but I agree a bit with JB. This is Luke all over. Any of this mind games for this week?

Lukey D is a nutter. Not a chance.

At their best, no Rory doesn't have more talent. Over the course of the past 2 years, yes Rory has been the better golfer.

No question RM has loads of talent but TW has always even at a different level up until two years ago. RM will win a lot events but not TW or JN type numbers

I'm not buying it. Won't say he'll never be an all time great, but to argue against Tigers talent is ridiculous.

I found Donald's statement interesting but false. Athletically and mentally Tiger is by far superior. Tiger is taller, stronger, and more flexible. Rory does have a sweet swing, but so do many other pros.

I can't wait for the Master's. Rory definitely has loads of talent, but I don't think he comes close to breaking any Nicklaus/Woods records. I swear the PGA Tour is going to be good next season.

I actually find this quite interesting. False, but quite interesting.

JB - I wholeheartedly agree. I find this interesting yet false.

However - I do know for a fact the feeling I got watching Rory dismantle Congressional this past summer was 'Tiger-esque'. He surely has the talent to win like Tiger used too (that extra gear that says 'I am winning this by half a dozen shots and you can't do anything about it'), but not sure he can do it consistently enough to rival Tiger's 'talents'. At least not YET.

Can't really recall a major being dominated recently in that manner which rivaled some of Tiger's major victories. Maybe to a slightly lesser degree Oosthiuzen? That was quite impressive wasn't it?

Perhaps there were some others but I am just not coming up with them now.

Just a Euro supporting a Euro. Silly really.

Find it interesting that the #1 ranked player in the world is touting someone else has having the most talent. Do you ever think that Tiger, Jack, Greg Norman, Hogan, Faldo etc. would ever say that when they were at the top of their game? Maybe that is why, although he has won plenty of money, he has no majors.

Find it interesting that the #1 ranked player in the world is touting someone else has having the most talent. Do you ever think that Tiger, Jack, Greg Norman, Hogan, Faldo etc. would ever say that when they were at the top of their game? Maybe that is why, although he has won plenty of money, he has no majors.

Weird, because I see it almost completely the opposite way. Tiger might not have said it, due to his famous focus on the task, but I could totally see Jack, Arnie and especially Hogan talking up an opponent in an attempt to throw them off their game on the eve of a tournament. It's a classic gamesmanship tactic.

Rory will never be Tiger. In fact I think all this pressure from his fellow tour players does him in. PArt of me thinks they do this to put so much pressure on him, he fails and they benefit.

Luke clarified himself on twitter yesterday after this statement.

A few people aren't understanding what I meant. The word talent and Rory to me means a free flowing swing who makes everything look so easy

TW has always been the best at getting the ball in the hole when it mattered the most. That's not just talent that something else too....

Talent can only take you so far, you need the right attitude (mindset) and application to perform at the highest level....

cedilla never try to disrespect Tiger in any way. He is still the greatest player I have played with.

I think they'd all pick someone else to have more talent than them. But they'd also state that theyre the hardest workers.

Back