Most ridiculously overpriced irons I have ever seen.

Why is everything that comes from Japan so expensive? Honma? Epon? Royal Collection? Silly IMO.

Most ridiculously overpriced irons I have ever seen.Why is everything that comes from Japan so expensive? Honma? Epon? Royal Collection? Silly IMO.
This. I thought Miura was expensive until I saw some of the other stuff.

Why is everything that comes from Japan so expensive? Honma? Epon? Royal Collection? Silly IMO.

I agree. The prices are outrageous. I'm guessing they are high priced because people there are willing to pay the price thinking they are getting something much better. Price alone does not make something great.

I have never swung an Epon or Honma iron, so I don't know how they compare to the irons we get here in the US, but there is more to their price than just marketing. It is true the Japanese are generally willing to pay top dollar for what they perceive as the best quality product. As a result, if Honma did not charge so much for their irons, then a lot of their customers would think something was wrong with their product.

The whole reason the Ping Anser forged irons were so expensive was because they were targeted for the Japanese market.

But, the Japanese makers also produce a higher quality product than what we purchase here. They use more exotic raw materials, and their clubs are made in the best foundries in the world. Shoot, they sell clubs with titanium filament in the shafts. For years they have been making gorgeous, forged cavity back irons that look like works of art, which are just now becoming popular in the US.

So, they are probably overpriced, but they would be much more expensive than US clubs even if they tried to compete in the US market.

To me, there is a clear point of diminishing returns. If I spend $4,000 for a set of irons, how many strokes is it going to save me?

There is no way I would spend that kind of money on irons when there are so many quality iron sets at much more reasonable pricing. I can imagine them selling these to the super rich as the money would not mean as much to them as it does to regular folks. Nothing wrong with people who can truly afford them gaming a set IMO.

I can't afford them.I just hit some a my friends shop and wanted to share my thoughts. I have hit all the new irons out there and these things are truly amazing thats all. To much money but like no other to hit

I can't afford them.I just hit some a my friends shop and wanted to share my thoughts. I have hit all the new irons out there and these things are truly amazing thats all. To much money but like no other to hit

Im in the minority I guess. I have hit them and have some at the office, but to me they felt similar to other irons that share a similar design. I didn't think there was a tremendous difference in feel, but maybe my ball striking is not up to par to be able to tell.

Honestly I have never heard of them.

There is no way I would spend that kind of money on irons when there are so many quality iron sets at much more reasonable pricing. I can imagine them selling these to the super rich as the money would not mean as much to them as it does to regular folks. Nothing wrong with people who can truly afford them gaming a set IMO.

Did you see what Bill Murray had in his bag when he won the Pebble Beach Pro-am this year? He was still gaming an R5. The rich care about money, that's why they have so much of it.

These irons exist because people still believe that forged irons have a better feel than cast. I would doubt that these irons would be better than any other irons. Kind of a joke to me.

I have never seen them in a golf shop. Maybe if ...

No, I'm too cheep.:laughing:

Wow alot of christmas cheer around here today. Sorry I made any comment

No, not at all. Just differing opinions is all. You get that a lot with golf equipment. If everybody liked the same thing, we would all have the same clubs.

I don't think anyone was giving you a hard time. Some think they are overpriced, some don't. I'm glad you like them, gives you something to aspire to when you make it big time.

No big deal. Every topic is open to debate. Everything in life is subjective. We all hear and feel different things when it comes to irons. Like JB pointed out, if we all liked the same thing, we would all have the same stuff.

These irons exist because people still believe that forged irons have a better feel than cast. I would doubt that these irons would be better than any other irons. Kind of a joke to me.[/QUOTE]

The forging process is softer than a cast process. People can feel the diff between the two

The forging process is softer than a cast process. People can feel the diff between the two[/QUOTE]

Please listen to this.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=13612

I wont get into the cast vs forged debate here, but the two are processes to create an iron. Having one "be softer" is simply not possible. Metals can be softer, a process cannot.

I know guys. Just first time I post in a long time and thought I would let people know I thought they felt good.We all do have likes and dislikes for sure

I know guys. Just first time I post in a long time and thought I would let people know I thought they felt good.We all do have likes and dislikes for sure

The only thing that matters when it comes to equipment is your thoughts and opinion of what you hit. Everyone has their own feel for the game and the equipment they play, so if you like it then go for it. Personally I have never hit them, so can't offer my opinion. But these kind of clubs always intrigue me, if for no other reason than the fact that they are different than anything we typically see locally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of them but no matter the cost, if the 5-inch course between your ears thinks they are the best for you that can go along way.

I have never hit them, I know they are really expensive...but as some others have said, we all have our opinions...I would like to hit a set of them just to see if I could tell the difference.

I think it is a perceived value situation. If you see something that cost more, most of the time your first thought is that it must be better.

I think in general golf in Japan is very expensive and the only people that can afford to play golf are people with quite a bit of disposable income so that is probably why they are willing to pay exorbitant prices for clubs.

An example is I lived in Guam for 2 1/2 years (1999-2001) and a lot of Japanese would come there to play golf. On avg they would charge Japanese tourists $125-200 to play while locals only payed $35. I was told that even the tourist golf rates were considered cheap for them. In talking to some of the tourists, a lot of Japanese golfers only hit balls at driving ranges & never get to play on a course.

Like everything in a free market, companies charge what people are willing to pay.

WHAT? We're not all gaming R11s??

Back