Tiger Woods - Turkish Match Play?

Sounds like they'll have a stellar field, for that reason alone I'm interested in it. Couldn't give two craps about the country of Turkey's efforts to host the Olympics though.

To help another country's goal of hosting the Olympics?

Do you have any feelings that Tiger, an American, should be trying to help America get the Olympics instead of another country? Just curious.

Have to imagine that the appearance fee is huge, Turkey doesn't seem like a hot place you'd want to go without a huge amount of compensation.

This looks awesome!

Do you have any feelings that Tiger, an American, should be trying to help America get the Olympics instead of another country? Just curious.
He was being sarcastic.

But what's the issue with Tiger playing the tournament for the money? Hasn't he earned that right? Better question, what's he supposed to do?

I don't have an issue with it. It's an exhibition that should be fun to watch. Plus it's Tuesday - Friday, which means golf during the week(if televised)

Interesting... However if Lee Westwood wins Jrod will have a week long celebration! He will even wear a Westwood t shirt..

Wish we had some German members I would love to hear their thoughts on this.

I can pretty much guarantee Kaymer won't be taking part in this event.

Edit to say Kaymer won't play for any amount of money. I realize he already declined

Wish we had some German members I would love to hear their thoughts on this.

I can pretty much guarantee Kaymer won't be taking part in this event.

Way to go out on a limb skim shady. :act-up:

From 1st post.

The event aimed to secure the top eight in the Official World Golf Ranking as of April 1. Martin Kaymer and Steve Stricker declined to play. Justin Rose, Webb Simpson, Hunter Mahan and Charl Schwartzel round out the field.

Awesome. This should be a fun one to watch.

Way to go out on a limb skim shady. :act-up:

From 1st post.

Yah my edit was too late. I meant no matter how much money they throw his way he won't change his mind.

Interesting.

For the skimmers

Tiger Woods has reportedly been lured to Turkey to compete in an unsanctioned event this fall aimed at capturing attention for a bid to host the 2020 Olympics.

The country will stage the Turkish Airlines World Golf Finals in October, a match-play tournament that will not be sanctioned by any tour. It will offer a $5.3 million purse with $1.5 million for the winner and $1 million for second. By 2013, the event hopes to offer $2.5 million to the champion – the richest first-place prize in golf.

Woods has reportedly agreed to a lucrative three-year commitment to the event, featuring an eight-man field including Rory McIlroy, Luke Donald and Lee Westwood, according to the U.K.-based Daily Mail.

The event, which will be officially unveiled during the British Open, will conflict with the Portuguese Masters on the European Tour and the Frys.com Open, which Woods competed in last year, on the PGA Tour. It's Oct. 9-12 dates are two weeks after the Ryder Cup. As a concession to the major tours, the event will run Tuesday-Friday, leaving the weekend stage clear. In return, the Turkish Open will become a part of the 2013 European Tour schedule, to be played in April.

The event aimed to secure the top eight in the Official World Golf Ranking as of April 1. Martin Kaymer and Steve Stricker declined to play. Justin Rose, Webb Simpson, Hunter Mahan and Charl Schwartzel round out the field.

Golf, which returns to the Olympics in 2016 in Rio de Janeiro, will also be in the '20 Games.

"Our goal is to hold a competition in the nature of a final that will bring the world’s top 20 professional golfers to Belek and make the whole world sit up and take notice," said Turkish Golf Federation president Ahmet Ağaoğlu in a February 2012 interview. "We have to do something different. After a hiatus of close to a hundred years, golf is going to be an Olympic sport again at the 2016 Olympics. Our aim is to send a couple Turkish golfers there to compete. We are already working on that."

Interesting.
So 5.3MM total payout
1.5MM to first place
1MM to second place
That leaves 2.8MM to be split 6 ways assuming it pays out all 8 spots. Yeah, I'd go to Turkey for a week if my paycheck is going to range somewhere between approx 300K and 1.5MM.

Sounds cool. Reminds me to the old match play events on TV in the 80's... but with much more money involved.

Does anyone know what kind of appearance $$ Tiger and others will receive just for showing up?

Only an 8 man field? Wow, cool. Kind of brings back the feeling of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf.

Just caught up with this. This would definitely catch my attention.

Looks like an awesome event. I'll absolutely be watching!

Definatly got my attention

But is that really a realistic goal for a country like Turkey? I'm just not sure that a golf tournament proves that a country can host the Olympics..especially since some of these players may not even be able to play in those Olympics anyway

True, it won't prove it, but it draws attention to their country, signals they're serious about their Olympic bid, establishes a large event with the world's best at a global sport, AND gives them a perfect opportunity for hosting IOC dignitaries and a chance to tour them around other parts of the country.

Keep in mind also that Turkey is in a very unique situation: they really want to become part of the EU but Europe is unsure about letting it happen, mostly due to Turkey's unique mix of European and middle Eastern influences. Half of Istanbul is in Asia, after all. A prime time golf event is yet another way for them to show the world and Europe that they're ready for 'acceptance' as a Western nation.

Tiger at al. are happy to do it for the money, but probably also welcome the chance to play somewhere new and shake up the routine. I spent two weeks there once and would go back for any reason I could find - it's a great place with loads of things to see and do.

Savvy move by the Turks.

Golf is really a global game, I like the fact that woodsy will play again rors, LD and Westwood. This group alone will garner a ton of attention. I hope they are all on top of their game.

It is their business of course, but I kinda liked seeing them play the Frye's. Now the Turk's will be trying to lure the top eight players each year, which means those top eight or whoever agrees to attend will miss that many more tour events due to travel and other logistics. For what it is worth, I'm pretty sure TW isn't the only one getting an appearance fee for this.

Back