Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls

I was not overly impressed with the Q Star when I first tried it. After reading some of the comments here, I will have to give them another try. :confused2:

It is my understanding that the Q ball is pretty much a rebranding of the lousy marketed AD333 - which is a very good ball.

There are differences in the cover and dimple design I know. I don't know about the rest of the ball.
It is my understanding that the Q ball is pretty much a rebranding of the lousy marketed AD333 - which is a very good ball.

Played with this ball today out on the course and thought it was pretty strong. Didn't really get to see true spin characteristics since I wasn't hitting into real greens, but I'm pretty sure I know what to expect there anyway. Balls were hitting the ground and just stopping dead, but that's as much trajectory and ground conditions as anything. I expect that's what I'd see into the green as well. The yellow is really vibrant and it felt good off the club face. Ball flight was typical of what I'd expect as well. I was glad to get it outdoors and see what it offered.

Glad you got to try it out hawk. It is a dang fine ball in every regard. Easily the quickest learned ball I've ever played in terms of knowing how it will react greenside.

Budget price, premium performance.

--
tapatalk

The Q star flew higher than I liked and exploded of my wedges on chips more than I liked, but I did shot a 75 playing with it a couple of weeks back. I might revisit it again as I'm looking for a new ball to play since I have falling out of love with the Nike products.

Glad you got to try it out hawk. It is a dang fine ball in every regard. Easily the quickest learned ball I've ever played in terms of knowing how it will react greenside.

Budget price, premium performance.

--
tapatalk

That's really most important to me around the greens - over being ultra spinny. I just want to know what to expect and go from there. I think I'll end up going with the ball that gives me the best numbers off the tee and adjust my short game accordingly.

I have to say that I like this ball off the driver and irons. It feels very nice to me. The numbers I'm seeing say that I'd have no issues controlling it with full irons and wedges either. I won't know it's greenside performance for a few months, but I think I like it better than the Z-Star on full swings at this point.

I have some thoughts for the folks playing Srixon balls in the MC - as well as anybody else that would like to chime in.

I've done the Srixon ball fitting and it has basically told me over and over again that it recommends the Q-Star. My results with it with the driver were better than the Z-Star in both feel and distance. Now - I will say that some of that was probably coincidence in that I just happened to put better swings on the ball with the Q-Star, still.

All the smart people say playing a ball like this can be beneficial to somebody of my skill level, but I continue to have the same argument in my head that I need the urethane cover. It annoys me that I second guess myself and fitting tools.

Anybody else thinking of giving these a fair shot come ball selection time rather than the Z-Star or XV?

I have some thoughts for the folks playing Srixon balls in the MC - as well as anybody else that would like to chime in.

I've done the Srixon ball fitting and it has basically told me over and over again that it recommends the Q-Star. My results with it with the driver were better than the Z-Star in both feel and distance. Now - I will say that some of that was probably coincidence in that I just happened to put better swings on the ball with the Q-Star, still.

All the smart people say playing a ball like this can be beneficial to somebody of my skill level, but I continue to have the same argument in my head that I need the urethane cover. It annoys me that I second guess myself and fitting tools.

Anybody else thinking of giving these a fair shot come ball selection time rather than the Z-Star or XV?

Try both out during some long term testing dude?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I have been on the monitor and will likely wait until I get outside for awhile this spring before I make any decisions. I just can never wrap my head around why I am so drawn to Tour balls when the company itself is saying - Save your money. We have a ball that might be better for you.

I have been on the monitor and will likely wait until I get outside for awhile this spring before I make any decisions. I just can never wrap my head around why I am so drawn to Tour balls when the company itself is saying - Save your money. We have a ball that might be better for you.

Not that it's the case for you but it sounds like a little bit of the programming all golfers have with 'play what the pros play'

You know, I had heard the Q-Star is very similar to the e6, and I am going to go with the Q-Star which is what the fitting told me as well. I have played the Q-Star, and as far as the way they react on and around the greens, again, very similar to he e6 IMO. I do not know what shot shape you are used to, so that makes it hard for me to say, but I hit high hop and stops on my full shots and have never had a problem. Hope this helps.

because you are an internet golfer hehe
You aren't alone with that. Look how many people play a tour ball that could benefit from something else.

I enjoy the Q Star and E6 quite a bit. I definitely have better rounds when using them.

Not that it's the case for you but it sounds like a little bit of the programming all golfers have with 'play what the pros play'

No, I think it has everything to do with marketing lol!

You know, I had heard the Q-Star is very similar to the e6, and I am going to go with the Q-Star which is what the fitting told me as well. I have played the Q-Star, and as far as the way they react on and around the greens, again, very similar to he e6 IMO. I do not know what shot shape you are used to, so that makes it hard for me to say, but I hit high hop and stops on my full shots and have never had a problem. Hope this helps.

I'm glad to hear you say that.

I hit a high iron shot and don't have problems holding greens under normal conditions, so I think we're pretty similar in that regard.

because you are an internet golfer hehe
You aren't alone with that. Look how many people play a tour ball that could benefit from something else.

Well, now it all makes sense haha

I've never hit the Q-Star but I think I would like to for a bit. I love the Z-Star, so giving these a try is a no-brainer. I didn't like the e6 at all though, so I'm not sure.

I don't think this ball is anything like the Z-Star, Dam. It seems much closer to an e6 type ball imo.

I don't think this ball is anything like the Z-Star, Dam. It seems much closer to an e6 type ball imo.

Oh I know, I just figured I may try it because it's a cheaper option and seems like it performs well. I want to get it around greens to see how the spin is especially. I like a lot of spin.

that's kind of what I thought too. Though I haven't used it on the course so I'm not sure how it performs to be honest.

Oh I know, I just figured I may try it because it's a cheaper option and seems like it performs well. I want to get it around greens to see how the spin is especially. I like a lot of spin.

This is a surlyn like cover, so I wouldn't think it would fit that requirement very well. I've heard some folks say that it has decent spin, but I would expect it to react similarly to any other ball in its class.

This is a surlyn like cover, so I wouldn't think it would fit that requirement at all. I've heard some folks say that it has decent spin, but I would expect it to react similarly to any other ball in its class.

Thanks Hawk. I disn't know too much about these, so now I do.

Not to say you shouldn't try it, btw :) I think a proper strike on the ball will create some spin regardless of the cover type.

If you want the soft cover and you are going to work on using it to your advantage then you should do it. If you dial in that short game to where it matters then you should have a Z star. If you want the ball to conform to your game now then you leave it alone.

Thanks again guys. I think I'm going to try this anyways just because. :D

Back