Thompson Cigars

Thread: The Lighter 50-55 Gram Driver Shafts

Handicap
    Thanks

The Lighter 50-55 Gram Driver Shafts

So I have been looking at getting a new driver, and I keep swinging the Adams Fast 12 and loving the feel of these light shafts. In addition, my swing speed has increased slightly when taking my leisurely swing (clocking at the moment around 96). How does everybody else feel about the impact that these lighter shafts are making on their swings?

Amateur
    Handicap
    Thanks
    I think what's important is how you feel about the club...if the club feels right, it will bring confidence, and you will strike the ball well.

I personally feel better with slightly heavier weight, rather than super light...like I said it is personal preference.

It is not always about swing speed, but how you can make consistent contact with the sweet spot.
    Driver - TM 08 Tour Burner, 10.5* w/ xcaliber 6+ stiff
    4 Wood - Bridgestone J40, 16* w/ xcaliber fairway stiff
    3 hybrid - Acer XF, 19* w/ FST Pro 115
    4 Hybrid - Bobby Jone, 25*
    5-9: Tommy Armour Silver Scot Forged MB w/ KBS Tour stiff
    SCOR 47* KBS Tour stiff
    Eidolon, 52* & 56*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"

Handicap
    Googolplex
    Thanks
    The lighter shaft is also typically a longer shaft. I'm not good enough to tell the difference between the weight, but the length is something I do notice. Give me a shorter shaft and I'm personally more confident. If it is medium weight, then so be it.

I was recently trying out a XCG4 driver. It had a 46 inch, 45 gram shaft paired with a super light Winn grip. It's probably one of the lightest drivers on the market (276 grams). When I hit it square, it was the longest driver I've personally ever hit (including many of this year's offerings).

My problem is that I missed the sweet spot often due to the longer shaft and those shots were punished. My shorter shafted (cut down) K15 averaged a longer distance due to better contact. On the long ones, the XCG4 was literally 10 yards further. On the misses though, it wasn't nearly as accurate.
    Last edited by ryebread; 08-07-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    What's in my Grom stand bag?
    Driver: XHot 9.5
    Thriver: Mini driver 16
    Fairways: 588 7w
    Hybrid: 588 3H
    Hybrid irons: Altitude 5-9
    Wedges: Niblick 42, 49 and CG14 SW
    Putter: 1/2 Craz-E IWI Series

Handicap
    Thanks
    I have the F11 with the Voodoo svs6 shaft. I love it. Love the lighter weight. Not as lite as your investigating.

How it feels to you is most important. I find that the light weight helps me release more reliably with that long club.

My swing speed was 95 originally. A little faster now. The light weight seems to help not just with the speed, but with the effort level required. So I don't feel like I'm swinging out of my shoes. It's more comfortable and easier on my back than some others.

It's a very personal thing, but I am definitely benefitting from the weight reduction.

For reference; my SS was 95, my poor swings will travel 250, a good swing 270-290. More confidence off the tee than ever before.
    Last edited by Speedliner; 08-06-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Driver: Adams Speedline F11, Aldilla Voodoo
    FW: Adams Speedline F11 3&5
    irons: Callaway Razr X, Graphite R, 3-4h,5-A
    wedges: Mizuno R-12, 56/10

Handicap
    Thanks
    Ive been playing with a Accra Dymatch RT S1 M4(stiff) 50g shaft for the last year and a half. My swing is typically 96-98MPH with this weight. My typical SS with 60-65g regular flex shaft is 92-94mph Definitely an increase in ss and distance.
    I like the feel better on the 50g vs 60g or above. Dispersion was tighter with the Accra vs any other light weight shaft that I've tried(Motore F1, Fubuki Alpha and the Bassara UL all real deal not made for shafts)
    Was an expensive way to getting there but i found the best match for my swing.

Junior Golfer
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Back weight your driver now and find out. Buy a back weight or get some lead tape and wrap a few wraps around the top of the grip. You will have to choke down some but it will give you basically the same sensation of hitting a lighter shaft. Pay attention to what happens when the pressure is on. That is when lighter shafts give folks problems.

Pay attention to the length as mentioned above. Most drivers on tour seem to be 44-45 inches so why manufacturers think we need 46 is beyond me.

hackin

Two time
    Handicap
    Thanks
    When I was fit for my 910 D2 I fell in love with the lighter shaft. For some reason I felt as if I had more control. I don't know if I actually picked up any SS from the lighter shaft(came from a stock R9 supertri) but I felt for some reason I had more control plus I needed a lower launching shaft so the RIP helped with that as well.
    Driver: R1 Stock
    3 Wood: Jetspeed 15*
    Irons: Apex Pro 4-PW Tour-V Stiff
    Wedges: 56* 60*
    Putter: white hot tour #1
    Ball: :: Lethal