Meredith Duncan Article - Struggling to make ends meet out on Tour

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
http://golfweek.com/news/2012/jul/10/lpgas-duncan-perseveres-through-struggles/

Meredith has been a pretty good friend to THP and this is a pretty good article showing the life of somebody trying to make their way out on the LPGA.

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – Meredith Duncan eyed the bag of bottles and cans lying behind the garbage bins on the practice range. Earlier in the week, she took her own bag to a local Wegmans grocery store for recycling and made $20. When money gets tight, “Dunc” gets creative.

Moments before, she had come out of the Wegmans sample tent clutching trial-size packets of Tide, sunscreen, deodorant and Band-Aids. Duncan, 32, filed through that tent every day with fans, stocking up on road supplies.

On Sunday afternoon, the former U.S. Women’s Amateur champion worked on the range a few paces from Paula Creamer at Locust Hill, beads of sweat dripping from her freckled brow. Duncan missed the cut at the Wegmans LPGA Championship because she spent too much time chopping it out of the rough.

The average fan walking up to the range that afternoon couldn’t possibly know the financial chasm that exists between someone such as Creamer, chasing her second major title, and Duncan, who hoped to get an odd job mowing yards or babysitting the next week in Rochester.

Duncan drove her newly leased Honda Pilot to New York and needed to stay in the area for a Monday pro-am after the tournament. With the next event in nearby Waterloo, Ontario, Duncan couldn’t return home to Louisiana during the off-week.

“I’m probably going to be America’s houseguest for the week,” she said, “see if I can borrow a couch, an extra bed or an air mattress.”

Duncan knows the solution to her problem is an obvious one: play better. But that doesn’t erase the fact that a player who holed out for eagle on the 90th hole to earn her card at LPGA Q-School can play in a major championship and then wonder where she’s going to lay her head the next week. Duncan’s reaction last December to earning her card was sobering: “I have to find a way to pay for it now.”

Six months later, she’s still searching. Duncan set up a PayPal account earlier in the year so that friends and family could easily donate $100, or whatever they could afford. She uses money from that account to pay for her flights. Last week Duncan wrote several checks from several different accounts to pay her caddie fee.

“I would’ve quit a long time ago,” concedes Duncan’s good friend, Brittany Lincicome.
A PGA Tour card doesn’t garner the same endorsement dollars it once did, but the average card holder can expect about $100,000 in sponsorship dollars. Duncan’s only commercial sponsors are Titleist and FootJoy (ball, shoe and glove deal).

Duncan, now in her ninth year as a professional, estimates she needs roughly $35,000 to compete this year. She has raised some of that money playing in pro-ams. It’s hard to imagine a more enjoyable player with whom to play a pro-am round or put on a clinic. No one on tour has a wit quite like Duncan’s.

If money were no object, Duncan would love to fly out a family member, even her dog, to accompany her at events. The ability to bring in an instructor to walk nine holes of a practice round would be handy, too.

“I think if you look down the line,” Duncan said, “there are a lot of girls in this position.”
Health problems have held back Duncan more than she’d care to admit. She has struggled with back issues during her entire professional career. More recently, a tear in her right rotator cuff has caused concern. She’s not sure how that happened, but knows that playing catch with her 8-year-old nephew back home hasn’t helped.

Duncan holds a degree in kinesiology from LSU and always thought she would make a great P.E. teacher. But there’s a dream in her heart that won’t die.

“She has told me before that she is playing for her dad,” Lincicome said. Duncan first earned her LPGA card in December 2003, one month after her father died of pancreatic cancer.

It has been a struggle the entire way.

Despite her financial position, Duncan finds a way to give back. This year, her charity event raised close to $30,000 for a Louisiana school for children with disabilities. Not a single penny from the event went to Duncan’s personal account. She has raised $180,000 over the last five years.

If fans at the Wegmans LPGA Championship knew Duncan’s story, they’d root for her like they root for Creamer. In fact, they’d probably take up a collection of their recyclables.
“People ask me all the time, ‘Why do you keep doing this?’ ” Duncan said. “Because I still believe I can do better.”

We believe it, too.

She is truly an exceptional person.
And she is right that there are a whole lot of girls in this situation.

Thanks for sharing this Hawk, it is definitely eye opening to see how someone with a card can still struggle to make it through a year.

I really hope she can start hitting those fairways and that it leads to better scoring, definitely pulling for her - she is "good people"!

• Staff
I thought it was pretty cool that she still finds a way to give back, even with her financial situation.

thanks for the read, couldnt imagine the pressure these guys/gals face day in and day out

Thanks. Nice read! Now I want to root for her!

Very good read. I think its still good to see her chasing her dream though. She could have given up a long time ago, which is a testament to her commitment and inner drive. Glad to see there are people out there like that, not just moping around about the negatives and still working hard on the positives.

It's an incredibly story. Just shows you the other side of being on tour and not being one of the top players week in and week out.

Good read. A little insight on what its like to be out on tour, can be a real awakening for people who think its all play time.

Great read hawk. Pretty telling what kind of individual she is, I hope nothing but the best for her future.

I'd never really thought about the fringes of the pro tours. I just sort of assumed they could all at least cover expenses and make a few dollars. I know the Futures Tour girls didn't have a jet-set lifestyle.
Hope she can make a few good showings and continue on from there.

I don't know what Meredith's sponsor deal is, but I will say that I got the impression that these girls aren't all raking in money from sponsorships. It sounded to me like there were times that she struggled just to get a box of golf balls to use.

Good read, Hawk. Thanks. Good luck to Meredith. She has several new fans now.

Hawk, thank you for posting that. What a great read and you would never guess that things were so hard on the ladies that are not at the top of the game. With her attitude I'm sure things will get better, and one win could change everything.

Thanks for posting Hawk. I had no idea life out on the road was so tough on these ladies. Thinking about it now, I can see how flights/car rentals/gas/hotels/ect can really pile up. Pulling for Meredith to put a few good tournaments together now!

edit: also great to see her still putting in the time to give back to the community. Always like to believe that good things will happen to those who are selfless.

Thanks for this post Hawk, kind of eye opening, not what we all think of the "glamourous life of a pro golfer". Nice to see she still gives back despite her situation. Does anyone know that paypal address? Maybe some of the members of THP can help one of our friends out with a couple of $$$

It's nice to be reminded of how the other half of the TOUR players live sometimes. Great for her for following her dream.

Great read Hawk..I think everyone can take something from this story......'Dunc' should have a few more fans in her corner after people read this story.

Thanks Hawk. I will be pulling for her.

TapAhoy!

Great read Hawk. She's showing a lot of grit hanging in there. Hope she catches a break soon.

I guess it's not always what you think it is out there. I hope somehow Meredith figures out a way to make it. I didn't know about her father.

Thanks for sharing that Hawk. It was sad and refreshing at the same time, I hate seeing people struggle and I really hate seeing someone who obviously has a heart of gold struggle. Yet it always amazes me in this day of athletes and "foundations" that some are still out there for a good cause and not just lining the pockets of their friends or family. Instead here you've got someone fighting to stay on tour and her priorities are more inline than those who have "made it." I'm a fan of that mentality and wish her success.

this makes me so sad thinking she is by far and away the "norm" on the LPGA tour
in many cases the LPGA is worse than a mens mini tour for players that arent always in the top 10
my coach is a former tour player and one of my bosses was a nationwide tour guy
the stories i hear from them makes the reality of being on tour very eye opening
its funny seeing tour players twitter feeds...
the men are in private jets thinking about skipping events cuz there isnt enough money etc etc
the women are in their rental cars carpooling with a ton of stuff scraping change to make enough gas to get to a proam they cant afford to miss
very sad

Do we know her Paypal account info?

Having tried to make it at the Mini tour level for a couple years, it's tough to worry about money and play good golf. It's even tougher to make a living and play good golf. I feel for MD, it sucks that someone with her talent isn't allowed to flourish with more dpi ship dollars

Sorry guys. I don't know her PP info.

Back