Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Skim question.

With this driver being so light, does anybody have problems over cooking shots and hooking them?

I am actually having problems with not being able to hook it when I ramp up my swing. I am slicing when I go after it

I am actually having problems with not being able to hook it when I ramp up my swing. I am slicing when I go after it

Do you think it is more of a swing issue or is the club so light that it can't be released at a higher swing speed?

I REALLY like this approach you used here. In the past I've done something similar with my iron practice but never (who knows y) with my driver.

I'm gonna use this next practice session.

Excellent review ! Thanks !

All yall make me want to trade in my K15 for this badazz CG Black !! OH YEAH :alien2:

I'm eating up these reviews and drooling all over my keyboard :at-wits-end: WHO"S GONNA CLEAN UP THIS MESS !!

I have had issues with drawing this driver OG. I think Dean and JB would tell you that I had no issues in FL with the other driver I played with drawing the ball. I just can't seem to do much more than play a fade with this driver. I'll be working on it though

Just went for a quick range session since I haven't really been able to swing this thing as much as I would like lately.
Started with PW for 10 shots then 7 Iron for 10 more and driver for the next 50 balls.
I was hitting range balls that ranged from new to really dirty. Very strong wind directly in my face (video was ruined because all you could year was the wind)

I worked in groups of 10 balls where I tried to hit different shots/add distance. First 2 were about shaping and were not 100% swings. The last 3 was where I tried to work things together.

1st- 10 balls trying to hit a fade. This was really easy to do for me since it is my natural shot so no surprises with the results.

2nd-10 balls trying to hit a draw. I dont ever try to hit a draw with a driver mainly because I never practice it and since it feels weird to me. First shot was straight and the next 2 were kind of low pulls. The fourth shot felt great and it drew about 10 yards and was much longer than anything I had hit previously. I slowed down my tempo a lot for the last 6 balls and found it really easy to draw as soon as I saw what it was supposed to look like. I was surprised I was able to do it since in the past I end up pulling the ball and having a terrible drive. This shot really takes me out of my comfort zone.

3rd- 10 balls I was working on just going after the ball as hard as I could. I was very inconsistent in my swing because I was rushing way too much but I wanted to show myself the club holds up to a fast swing. I was disappointed and frustrated but honestly that was what I should have expected since I wasn't even taking a good swing just trying to load the shaft as much as I could.

4th- 10 balls I took no break in between swings. I started at 80% and built up from there to get consistency back in my tempo while swinging full. Saw all 10 balls follow the same line which was a slight fade of about 10 yards. I figured I was ready to see what I could squeeze out of this thing now.

5th- 10 balls full swing while aiming at a palm tree at the end of the range with 10 yards on each side to make my imaginary fairway. First off just want to say that 10/10 were in the zone and 7/10 were within a few feet of the palm tree line. I didnt let my left arm give out like I normally do and I saw these shots going 230 yards (carry) into the wind when everything I was hitting earlier was landing at about the 200 yard marker.I cant really explain the feel but when you really hit the ball square its just makes you smile because you know that thing is gone. I loved the sound/feel of my R9 SuperTri but that thing doesnt even come close when side by side with this thing. This range session really showed me that I can rely on this club more than I previously thought and I had a ton of confidence in it already.

I left one ball tee'd up after I finished and walked around a bit before I hit it. I wanted to see how I would do after all of this work if I came up to the ball "cold" and just lined up to hit as if I was on the teebox playing a round. I picked my target and hit a ball dead center of the face right on my target line with maybe the slightest fade but exactly the height I wanted and hit my longest drive of the day. Not a bad way to leave the range and I still felt like I could hit another 50 balls with ease...I love this club.

Are you gripping down on it at all chunky? It was the first thing I changed when making the switch to this driver.

Do you think it is more of a swing issue or is the club so light that it can't be released at a higher swing speed?

Not a swing issue as I have hit other drivers just like I used to during this testing. Something about this club is not getting along with my swing. My money would be the shaft being a little too soft

You guy's are doing solid job with this driver, I'm loving the sound of it and you all seem to be getting some solid distance. I'm a little disapointed that you are seeing some fade and troubles with drawing this club, or at least several of you, as I already fight a fade I don't want to add to it. Great looking club for sure!

Are you gripping down on it at all chunky? It was the first thing I changed when making the switch to this driver.

I really have wanted to test all the "advantages" this driver should give someone and I think the shaft length could be an advantage if you can control it. I've struggled so far. My first change will be a small chokeup on the shaft. Not yet though

Not a swing issue as I have hit other drivers just like I used to during this testing. Something about this club is not getting along with my swing. My money would be the shaft being a little too soft

Got ya, so your thinking is that the face is coming through a little open due to the tip being soft and that's the reason for the heel contact? That would explain an easier swing being more likely to draw vs fade.

Now if I could just drop the ball flight a bit I would be set.

I really have wanted to test all the "advantages" this driver should give someone and I think the shaft length could be an advantage if you can control it. I've struggled so far. My first change will be a small chokeup on the shaft. Not yet though

Try stepping back off the ball a bit? that's what just felt better and it's much more consistent for me now.

I had a really good day on the course today with this thing...not used to hitting a 60* into greens lol. Review coming as soon as the videos upload

Got ya, so your thinking is that the face is coming through a little open due to the tip being soft and that's the reason for the heel contact? That would explain an easier swing being more likely to draw vs fade.

Now if I could just drop the ball flight a bit I would be set.

That is my thoughts exactly(almost) at least with regards to draw vs. fade. I think it is backed up by the fact that I started drawing the club as soon as I got tired over the weekend. In regards to the heel contact, I'm just thinking that if the club were an inch shorter my heel shots would be center contact. I think I have not adjusted well in terms of moving off the ball a little and so the ball is just a little too close to me. Not sure if this made any sense

Try stepping back off the ball a bit? that's what just felt better and it's much more consistent for me now.

I had a really good day on the course today with this thing...not used to hitting a 60* into greens lol. Review coming as soon as the videos upload

Posted while I was answering SW. Pretty much what I'm thinking c0ncept

The only time I have hit it off the heel is when I drop a little after my backswing, which for me is a right leg issue. When I keep my lower body nice and quiet, this is not an issue, but it is the every once in awhile.

This is exactly what I had to do, and line up about an inch or an inch and a half farther from the ball than I did with my Tour Burner, and it solve any issues I had.

I got a little range time tonight after work. I think I'm about settled on what range I want to use, but there's one more I want to visit. I finally seem to be smoothing out my sore back and if tonight was any indication, my trip back to SoCal and a round with White Rhino and (hopefully) Dennis from Blind 9 Golf is going to be a blast.

I've had some good nights with the CG Black Driver, but tonight was something else. Maybe because I am tired, maybe because I was taking it easy on my back, but I found a great tempo for the evening and never lost it. We'll see if I can find this again Friday morning in LA!

My gamer driver is ... er ... WAS ... a TaylorMade r7 460. Tonight I left it in the car and only swung the B-1.

I started with a mixed bunch of 7i and 3w. Hit a few with the B-1 that were pretty good. Worked up three to five shots each up my irons and into my hybrids (hybrids were not along for the ride today) and then started taking aim around the driving range. When I missed, it was clearly a problem with my alignment. When I pushed it, I was aligned open, pulled, closed. Sometimes I get so giddy about seeing the next result I forget to step away and go through my calm setup.

When I did ... it was magic. Flag on the far left of the range ... hit on what would be my imaginary fairway. Straight a head, straight shot. I haven't been willing to try to hit a draw with this as I notice previous attempt as working the ball really made me quick. Maybe if I tried different stances I could.

Regardless, I'm really happy with the swing that puts me in the fairway. I'm looking forward to a few rounds and getting a detailed on-course write up and maybe a guess CG Black review by White Rhino. :)

And again, guys, thanks for all the inspiration. Knowing I'm working with a group like you testing this club for THP and Cleveland really keeps me motivated.

Great review d, all you guys are doing a great job. I hope everyone can get their issues resolved.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I gotta tell ya

1) with all the GREAT stuff that I'm reading in this thread about this club and how it's performing for most of you, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to try this club !!

2) with all the GREAT stuff that I'm reading in this thread about this club and how it's performing for most of you, I'm left with the apprehension that I'd be slicing the heck outta the ball.

3) I will remain ANXIOUS until I can demo it :act-up:

So I had a bit of a moment on the range the other day. I noticed as I got tired I started hitting my old draw. Truth be told I don’t mind the fade that I have with this driver. But I do want to know that I can hit a draw if I have to. My goal at the range today is to try and take a nice easy swing with good tempo.

Warmed up with some short game work. Moved on to irons. Got into a nice rhythm and picked up the driver. Took some easy swings and I was hitting the ball well. My miss in terms of contact seems to be toward the heel and this continued today. I think the longer shaft is causing me to miss inside. I have not adjusted to the added length of the shaft well. I like to stand pretty close to the ball and I just have not adjusted well to staying off the ball as much as I need to with this club. This is not a knock on the driver but a knock on my thick headedness. Choking up on the shaft might have to happen soon

So lets get to the goal. It is easy for me to keep a nice rhythm with irons. I don’t try and hit them hard and so swinging hard with them never enters my mind. I will always take a longer iron and swing easy rather than taking a shorter iron and swinging hard. I’m the opposite with the driver. I do like to go at it a bit with the driver. This is not a problem with normal drivers that have heavier shafts. But with this driver swinging hard is a big no no. I don’t think this shaft holds up to a more up tempo swing. I taped the results. Lets check out the video.

So a nice relaxed swing gives me what I want. I then get greedy and the results are a mixed bag. I need to wrap my mind around the easy swing with driver. I think taking an easier swing will result in the same distance I had with my prior drivers(due to the lightweight shaft of the black) and maybe even more accuracy due to the easier swing. This is long term testing so I have some time to change my evil ways

Thanks for the video CL, yur swing is looking good dude !

Thanks for sharing your thinking and insights as to what's going on

I seem to be going thru the same thing with my K15 w/ reg flex shaft .. don't know if it's me, my swing or the shaft, a nice easy smooth swing, with SMOOTH TRANSITION will give as good of a result, and better on avg, then trying to stand on this thing

hard to get it through my head and to feel that smooth easy transition each and every time, my brain is getting in the way

I'm anxious to see how you progress over this long term testing :)

I know you'll stick with it !

I appreciate you watching man. I will be a driving machine by the time this testing is over

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Man, CL, I gotta take some video of my swing, I think I swing much harder/faster. My swing isn't quite as flat either, nor am I as flexible as you. ...so what I'm saying is I'm taller and fatter. But I digress. I feel like I can still put a good move on with the CG Black and get a good result. When I get a bad result from going too fast, it is usually because my transition at the top is so quick. Your swing really has me thinking.

Got back out today for another round with the Cleveland Black, played a familiar course because I wanted to experiment a little. Hit the first tee without any warming up beforehand.

First hole is a straighaway par 4, nice easy swing produced a very light draw that actually had a good rollout. Measured this one to get a baseline, 264.

I had an issue on #2, great blue heron landed on the freaking tee box about the time I started my down swing. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me and I snap hooked it into someone's garage.

#3 is a par 5 with a big dogleg left. You can either layup off the tee or get aggressive and try to cut the corner, I always try to cut it. The wind was right to left so I setup a little more left, hit a dead straight shot. Missed the fairway but it wasn't a bad miss and put me in a good spot for the 2nd.

On #4 I took a healthy cut and put the ball dead center of the fairway, about one club closer to the green than where I normally am. It was here that I really noticed I was getting more roll than I had been getting prior with this driver. Ball flight was about the same, but instead of hitting and stopping quickly, I was seeing a big forward bounce and roll.

I won't go hole by hole, but I hit 5/7 fairways on the front and other than the bird induced disaster I was very pleased. Typically shot was straight to a small draw, my experiment played out exactly how I thought it would. I was consciously trying to not get quick with my hips on the transition. This was giving me a more controlled swing that was keeping my swing speed down and not being so violent from the top.

On the back 9 I switched balls from the z-star to z-star xv and went back to swinging normally. Instantly I saw the fade come back, a very consistent and playable fade. However with a fade that one big push fade is hanging around somewhere, for me that typically comes out at the worst possible time. No different today, after having a double bogey meltdown on a par 3 I came to a par 4 that has a can't miss fairway, deep woods left and right. Well being a little annoyed I swung a little harder and sent the ball about 75 yds deep into the woods. Oh well, it happens.

On the back 9 that was my only big miss, everything else was a gentle fade. Missed some more fairways though, but the back is pretty tight. I wasn't in trouble with any of my other drives on the back. 2/7 with all but the one just off in right rough.

I know this little science project isn't the most interesting thing for some of you to read but its something I've been wanting to try. Swinging within yourself is paramount with this driver and my results today proved that beyond all doubt. A swing that's controlled and in tempo will consistently produce a great ball. My average distance on the front was 258, didn't save the numbers from the back. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, this is the most consistent driver I've ever played. Helped me card my best round of the year today and since I've gotten it my handicap has steadily dropped.

GreAt info CL and SW. The more I read the more intrigued I become.

TapAhoy!

Still enjoying the updates, guys! Congrats on a great round, SW. That's some really good distance dude.

Finally got these videos uploaded.

Took this thing out to Starfire (which has three 9 hole courses that aren't too long but pretty narrow) the other day and got a few videos. My round was pretty terrible since I kept losing feeling in my right hand/fingers but off the tee this thing was great for me all day. Some quick basic things: 1. I was hitting a 60* into a few of greens. 2. I went for a par 5 in 2 and ended up hitting over the green (never been close enough to do that before)

I really focused today on trying to not hit a fade and see if I could hit a draw.

First drive on hole 2 (369 yards)
Spoiler
[video=youtube_share;W1C6Bb-pSA8]http://youtu.be/W1C6Bb-pSA8[/video]

Second drive on hole 2 (369 yards)
Spoiler

Both of those drives had a slight draw to them and unfortunately for me were too long to stay in the fairway. First ball was 100 yards out and the second was 90 yards.

Drive on #4 short par 5 (453 yards)
Spoiler

Ended up with a low ball flight which was exactly what I love seeing with this club and was only 170 out.

Those 3 drives were: 269, 279, and 283 yards. I haven't hit a driver this long since high school and it is something I never thought I would be able to do again. My best drive actually came on the 9th hole when I managed to hit another perfect shot 279 yards dead center of the fairway unfortunately I didn't record it. I averaged 277.5 yards on those 4 drives and I have more confidence off the tee than I have had in the past. There is just no way the R9 ST is going to make it back in my bag.

Nice job Concept. Looks like your cranking it pretty good, I'd settle for a 20 yard shorter avg and be doing good, lol.

Back