How to have fun when playing bad?

Heave your 5 iron into the nearest lake, ala Sergio Garcia!!! LOL! I stop keeping score and try different shots I otherwise wouldn't try!

It is just one of the challenges of golf and challenges are probably why most of us play the game. I like to take a problem head on. One principle that helps me is to remember "it is stupid to keep doing the same thing and expecting the result to change." So if I am having a bad day with the driver, I hit something else, usually an iron, for a hole or two or grip down and inch or two. If irons are the problem, grip down a little and concentrate on rhythm. If you have a favorite shot, us it. For me it is a low hook. When all else fails go to what you are most comfortable with. I just went through this whole routine Monday, I shot 92, my worse round of the year but it actually could have been much worse if I hadn't done these things and found the rhythm and finished one over on the last 6 holes--nineteen over on the first twelve holes.

Another approach I've used when rounds go south is settle on doing 12oz curls the rest of the way. Stings less.

If I am playing with my friends and we are all struggling, we start to bet per hole. Kind of Bingo Bango Bongo, but we change the bet hole to hole. Keeps it interesting for everyone and keeps you in the round.

Just enjoy your surrounding and the fact that you're playing golf. For the 4 hours nothing else matters

I stop keeping score and turn the round into a practice session. Hit different clubs off the tee, use a lot of wedges from all over the place and just try shots that I wouldn't if I were keeping score.

So I made this thread before me and my dads round, we went to a course he normally doesn't do well at, and well we had a pretty enjoyable round. More on this in the "what did you shoot?" thread.

I usually just stop playing after 9. Or just stop caring if I am past the turn and just hit shots mindlessly.

Drink,drink,drink.drink.drink.drink...

It is just one of the challenges of golf and challenges are probably why most of us play the game. I like to take a problem head on. One principle that helps me is to remember "it is stupid to keep doing the same thing and expecting the result to change." So if I am having a bad day with the driver, I hit something else, usually an iron, for a hole or two or grip down and inch or two. If irons are the problem, grip down a little and concentrate on rhythm. If you have a favorite shot, us it. For me it is a low hook. When all else fails go to what you are most comfortable with. I just went through this whole routine Monday, I shot 92, my worse round of the year but it actually could have been much worse if I hadn't done these things and found the rhythm and finished one over on the last 6 holes--nineteen over on the first twelve holes.

I like this post. Good advice.

I like to turn scorecard numbers into something that makes me laugh. For instance, instead of writing an "8" on the card, I'll draw a little snowman giving me the finger. Whatever comes to my mind for the number. A hatchet makes a nice "9," that sort of thing. Don't hold up play with arts and crafts time though.

I just keep playing and try to turn it around. If you play a horrible front 9 and a good back 9 then you'll go home feeling good.
At least it isn't cricket or baseball. You have a bad day there and you're out, unable to make any difference to the game.

I always try to remember that in any and every round I am going to have some bad shots. Sometimes they happen randomly, and sometimes they bunch up in the early part of the round. I always try to remember that in any and every round I have some good shots as well, and when the bad ones come early I try to focus and remember my good ones are probably yet to come. Another thing to remember is that golf is a game that is unpredictable, and we don't shoot the same score or play to our potential every time out - that's why handicaps are based on the better half of our results. On those days that nothing works and it stinks all the way - well, just remember that its out of your system and you have a good round coming soooon...

Just remember that it's a game that we're fortunate to be playing... that there are many more things in life to be upset about... and you never know when it could be your last time out. Trust me!

Alex

I stop keeping score and work on my swing. My short game has always been pretty decent so I work extra hard on getting up and down.

I stop keeping score and drink... lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

If I'm playing particularly bad, I just try and remember a few good shots, or a good hole. I had the massive snap hooks yesterday, couldn't keep a ball in play. Score would have been through the roof, had I been able to count that high. :D But I ended up going driver, PW on the last hole, a par 5. I never get there in two, but managed to kill a drive right down the center of the fairway....pretty stiff tailwind to help. Missed the green, chipped on and made a birdie. That seemed to make the whole day worthwhile.

I stop keeping score and drink... lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Or start counting the number of drinks you have

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Or start counting the number of drinks you have

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^
How many drinks is regulation?

I always try and not get too frustrated and upset my playing partners. were usually in carts so what I'll do is walk a hole or two. When i do hit a shot i try to hit the green and not the pin. If the cart girl is around it makes things better.

I just try to figure out why the bad shots keep coming, usually it is my tempo has become quick, my left wrist is cupped (or bowed), I loose connection in my swing, my hips get too fast and on and on and on. My point is I try to not get too fustrated with the current results and try to find one of these little fixes that get it back together for me that day.

If I'm having a bad day, it is usually frustrating for the first few holes, then I just blow it off and have fun while trying to make improvements. When I tend to get really frustrated is when a good day suddenly turns really bad. I have a hard time enjoying myself when that happens.

If you're playing bad, try accomplishing something small and build from there. For instance, try and make a good up and down for par, or a great bogey save. Smaller victories tend to add up to regaining your composure.

Back