robn311

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions from you all on this. I have a strong-lofted iron set, so my PW is 44* and I have a 49* GW. I am looking for a new SW and LW. I currently play 56 and 60 wedges, but decided I am going to go with a 54* SW.

So, my question is, have those of you who have used both 58* and 60* wedges, is there really much of a difference between the two in terms of the types of shots you can pull off with them or just overall versatility? My initial sense was that with the setup I'll have (49 and 54), the 58 would make more sense, but I don't really have a good reason for thinking this. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not too much difference between the two. With the 58 you can always open the face to get a higher loft if needed. i'm gaming a 54 an 60 setup. I rarely use my 60 just like today I only pulled it out twice in my round of 18. Just practice an be creative sometimes with your wedge shots.

I carry a 58 degree and love it. I like 4 degree gaps in my bag and this does it for me through the four wedges I carry. There is nothing I could do with a 60 degree I can't do with the 58.

I found that it was easier to hit full swings with the 58 and I felt like the 58 was versatile since I could use it in the sand too.

But at the moment, I use the 56 ATV as my sand/lob wedge and it's taken care of me so far!

I went to a 54/58 setup from a 56/60 setup and I couldn't be happier. The 58 seems much more versatile to me. The 60 was next to useless for full shots and was only good to me for getting over things with high flop shots. The 58 works on full shots, bunker shots, tricky downhill chip shots, and is still good when opened up for flopping over obstacles. In short, I'd say if you are considering it, go for it.

I love my 58. It's just so easy to use compared to my friend's 60 for some reason.

I have been playing with 52-56-58 but am really considering having the 58 tweaked to 60.

The 58* will be a bit easier to hit on a full shot, but other than that... there's little to no difference. A 58* isn't more versatile whatsoever and 2* isn't going to make much of a difference. If you find yourself struggling with a 60*, then go with a lower loft. Personally, I hit my 60* at least 6 to 10 times per round considering it's just about the only club I use inside of 90 yards unless I'm in a bunker from about 30 yards (I'd use my 53*). On the flip side, I play with a few friends that hit their 58* very well and use it as often as I use my 60*. Personally, the 58* works well for me as well.

As far as gaps are concerned... they are great and all when your moving from 3-9 iron, but really don't matter all that much between 44* and 60*. People just don't take full swings all that often inside of 120 yards and the 4* gap doesn't translate into equal gaps like a 4* gap would between a 3-9 iron. At a certain point the ball just gets to high to have a consistent gap (due to wind and inconsistency hitting the higher loft clubs consistently). This is why a lot of professional players play PW,52-54*,60*. Those like Phil that use a lot of wedges have them ground down differently and have a variety of bounce options that they are effective with from many different shots... of course it works for them because they are a true 300 yards off the tee and can hit a 6i around 200 yards. Players like that can afford to use a larger variety of wedges because they typically are long enough to get away with it. Anyway, while that is a lot of information that I went off on a tangent with, you'd be fine with either a 58* or 60*. You likely won't notice much difference whatsoever, especially if you don't hit a full swing 58/60*.

I prefer my 64* for maximum height. Full swing - never because it goes 30 yards. More accurate with a 50* from that range.

currently bagging a 54/58 set up and that is all I need. have a 60 in reserve but have not hit it in a while. The 58 has been just a versitle as the 60 and I am more consistent with it...less margin for error.

I went 52-56-60 for years but I'm much happier with 50-54-58. The full swing gaps are tighter and I've got better choices around the greens. I tend to come up short on some shots and the lower lofts get the ball better to the hole when needed.

I had the 54 & 58 setup in my bag for a long time and loved it. What I am seeing with the new TaylorMade ATV 56 degree wedge, has be seriously thinking about taking both of those wedges out of my bag.

You'll probably get a bunch of different answers here's what I game.
I went with 5* spacing with my short irons . PW45* AW50* SW55* LW 60*.
Hopefully you can demo a couple different wedges with a degree that will work for you.

Back