Just bought RBZ Driver + 3 Wood - Struggling to find a use for the 3.

shocktop

Reaction score
Handicap
My Current set of clubs are pretty much crap. I have a knock off brand iron's + a 3/5 wood and a 10 year old cobra driver. Pretty sad considering I struggled through High School golf trying to compete with these POS clubs.

After about 7 years after H.S. I decided to start playing golf again and couldn't remember why I ever stopped because I love it so much. So after pondering for about 3 months and doing research I went out and bought the RBZ Driver and RBZ 3. I didn't really want to fuss with adjustments as far as the R11s goes so I bought what I thought was going to be a good, safe, player friendly club.

HOLY CRAP

If I had known how much decent clubs could improve your game I may have actually been able to compete in high school. What a night and day difference.

My problem; the 3 wood. I hit the driver (9.5 stiff flex) about 300-320 depending on obvious wind, uphill, downhill. I've played 2 rounds and I haven't taken the 3 out of the bag at all. Usually on a par 4 I drive, have a short iron in (lob, sand or pitch) and that's it. On par 5's I usually drive, and depending on the hole lay up with a short iron, or go for it with a 4 iron which I feel I have a lot of control over and hit roughly 200-210.

Am I missing something here or should I return the 3 and put it towards a decent set of irons?

Last edited:
I've been playing pretty solid for the past 4 months. My HUGE downfall, which has always been a problem for me is I literally cannot take a 3/4 swing. I've had the same swing since high school, and it's always as hard as I can. I would rather try to hit my sand 125 yards rather than take a 3/4 pitch. With that said, I swing very hard. Golfsmith clocked my 6 iron speed at 98-100 mph, which quite honestly is probably why I am not as consistent as I should be because I swing so hard. I'm not looking to strut my distance at all I am really just looking for advice on the 3.

You should employ a top level golf coach and hit the tours with that distance. Thats my advice.

Also, because I swing so hard my consistency is a problem, I have some serious issues with fat and thin shots and currently shoot in the mid to high 80's most of the time.

You should employ a top level golf coach and hit the tours with that distance. Thats my advice.

Lol. My distance with my wood's good, Im absolutely terrible with the short irons right now which unfortunately is my favorite part of the game. I absolutely love the <140 yard shots.

Keep the 3 wood.

I have troubles inside of 100 yards, my consistency with 3/4, and 1/2 doors is non existent. Obvious swing flaws.

My drives.. My good drives are 270-300. So i get a few shots under 100 yards where i pick up a lot of strokes.

So what I've been doing recently is keeping the driver in the bag, on all but 4 holes, hitting my 3h from the tee box and leaving myself usually about 120 out, which is a nice full pw. It helps me loose a stroke or two, where i would be leaving it short, or long, or blade it, or whatever.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

wow I hit my 6 iron 100 mph and I still don't hit the driver 330, I must be doing something wrong

Keep the 3 wood.

I have troubles inside of 100 yards, my consistency with 3/4, and 1/2 doors is non existent. Obvious swing flaws.

My drives.. My good drives are 270-300. So i get a few shots under 100 yards where i pick up a lot of strokes.

So what I've been doing recently is keeping the driver in the bag, on all but 4 holes, hitting my 3h from the tee box and leaving myself usually about 120 out, which is a nice full pw. It helps me loose a stroke or two, where i would be leaving it short, or long, or blade it, or whatever.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Thanks, Im just trying to figure out whether I should keep this or not.

About a month ago I was on fire with my lob and sand, which resulted in the best golf I have ever played. I was ecstatic. Now ... I chunk, or skull my lob more than I do hit it solid which honestly I feel is the most frustrating thing in the world to do (chunk a shot).

Lob = 90 Yards
Sand = 120
Pitch goes to about 135-140

All kidding aside I was/am in a similar situation. I am a long hitter. My carry distance on the driver is generally over 260 with most drives being in the 290-300 range when well struck. after looking at the courses I play, the opportunities to hit a 3w are basically non existant. Instead I will be going with 4 wedges and a 3H

Shocktop, you have a distance gap, from your posts, from driver 310 (on average) to your 4i - 200 yards, of about 110 yards. I am assuming that you don't hit 3i or have any between clubs.

If that is the case, then I would advice you keep the 3 wood. There will be a time and course where you will not be using your driver at all. I kinda assume that you hit your 3 wood like 270ish, when you hit? There will be a hole where driver will be too long, and 4i off tee would be too short. How about par 5, where you could reach the green in 2 with good 250-260 yard shot off the fairway?

You may not use it much now, but with enough playing time and different courses, you will use it.

Oh, and those days when your drive goes 350 yards (200 yards straight with 150 yards left or right), you will want to hit it off the deck with 3 wood with better control.

Go get some lessons on the short game. No reason to have short irons and wedges into every green and score in the mid 80s. I would keep the 3wood. Others have said it, but eventually you are going to need it. Also, why not play your 3wood more? Play it off of the tee more frequently.

Go get some lessons on the short game. No reason to have short irons and wedges into every green and score in the mid 80s. I would keep the 3wood. Others have said it, but eventually you are going to need it. Also, why not play your 3wood more? Play it off of the tee more frequently.
I don't know what course he is playing, but maybe hitting driver off the tee is the best play for him. I wouldn't hit a 3 wood off the tee just for the sake of hitting the 3 wood.

I would keep the 3 wood because if you do go to other courses you will most likely not be able to hit driver off every tee due to hazards and such.

Maybe swap to a 4 wood? Better accuracy, a little less distance. Might use it more off the ground too.

Depending on the course and how you manage the 3 wood is quite helpful I just bought one and it makes for smarter moves are good distance on par 5's. I find it strange you never have a use for it I guess.

eventually you'll find a use for the 3. maybe use it off the tee of par 5's and long par 4's. and i've noticed that a couple days i took out my fairway to try an extra wedge, i found myself on a long par three and didn't have the right clubbage for it. you'll find a use for it, don't worry.

I have the same problem... except when I duff a drive and it goes 100 yards or less, then I'm super glad I have a 3 wood in the bag to bomb it the rest of the way.

wow I hit my 6 iron 100 mph and I still don't hit the driver 330, I must be doing something wrong

Welcome to the internet. I'll be your tour guide today

I've actually heard better things about the 3 wood than the driver from friends who've played both.

I don't use my 3 wood very much but on certain holes it's very handy. On short doglegs it will go over the trees instead of laying up with an iron and taking the long way around. One hole I play is a double dogleg par 5 and if I go over I can be on the green in 2. Another hole is a 270 yard slight dogleg and since I can't work the ball yet, my 3 wood is again perfect to go over the trees. If I went fairway I'd have to use a mid iron off the tee and another to the green.

Back