Just bought RBZ Driver + 3 Wood - Struggling to find a use for the 3.

I hit the driver (9.5 stiff flex) about 300-320 depending on obvious wind, uphill, downhill.

4 iron... hit roughly 200-210.

What the hell? I need to know your secret because that is my 4 iron distance and my drives are about 275.

Uhhhh, are you sure you have your yardages right? Or are you a poor iron striker? Or do I have the wrong driver setup!?

Regardless of what he hits his driver, since it doesn't really matter, what you should be reading is, he huts it long enough he doesn't use a 3 wood, and he was wondering if he should keep it.

Distance in this case is largely irrelevant.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Regardless of what he hits his driver, since it doesn't really matter, what you should be reading is, he huts it long enough he doesn't use a 3 wood, and he was wondering if he should keep it.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Thank you and agreed.

I love the RBZ irons so much that I had about decided to buy a whole RBZ set. I then got to play with such a set as a rental, and I couldn't hit the driver/fairway/hybrid at all. Tried them again on the range at a demo day. Same thing. :(

For those calling the OP an internet golfer, I would give him benefit of the doubt. Maybe he has altitude, wind, elevated tees, and bouncy fairways helping him.

I love the RBZ irons so much that I had about decided to buy a whole RBZ set. I then got to play with such a set as a rental, and I couldn't hit the driver/fairway/hybrid at all. Tried them again on the range at a demo day. Same thing. :(

For those calling the OP an internet golfer, I would give him benefit of the doubt. Maybe he has altitude, wind, elevated tees, and bouncy fairways helping him.
Exactly. Altitude alone has a lot to do with it. Where I play is actually higher than Denver. I've hit driver 260 consistently and a few times in the 290's. However while playing in Illinois it was more like 220 to 240. To answer your question I'd keep the 3 wood you will find a use for it.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.

Couldn't agree more, it's all about whether he should keep a club he doesn't use, and I think that in itself answers it. Now there's always a place in the bag for a club used time to time, especially if a replacement club isn't needed either!

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk.
Well I actually was looking for an answer to how he's hitting his Driver so far in relation to his 4 iron. I want to mimic and copy this :)

Anyway, back on point. I'd probably keep the 3W. Unless your FIR is > 60-65% with the driver, I can almost bet the 3W is going to be more consistent off the tee box. My scoring philosophy is simple, keep the ball in play. Either that, or play longer and more difficult courses :p

If you dont find yourself using the 3 wood and you hit driver so well seems it's an easy decision to ditch it and upgrade somewhere else.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

My Current set of clubs are pretty much crap. I have a knock off brand iron's + a 3/5 wood and a 10 year old cobra driver. Pretty sad considering I struggled through High School golf trying to compete with these POS clubs.

After about 7 years after H.S. I decided to start playing golf again and couldn't remember why I ever stopped because I love it so much. So after pondering for about 3 months and doing research I went out and bought the RBZ Driver and RBZ 3. I didn't really want to fuss with adjustments as far as the R11s goes so I bought what I thought was going to be a good, safe, player friendly club.

HOLY CRAP

If I had known how much decent clubs could improve your game I may have actually been able to compete in high school. What a night and day difference.

My problem; the 3 wood. I hit the driver (9.5 stiff flex) about 300-320 depending on obvious wind, uphill, downhill. I've played 2 rounds and I haven't taken the 3 out of the bag at all. Usually on a par 4 I drive, have a short iron in (lob, sand or pitch) and that's it. On par 5's I usually drive, and depending on the hole lay up with a short iron, or go for it with a 4 iron which I feel I have a lot of control over and hit roughly 200-210.

Am I missing something here or should I return the 3 and put it towards a decent set of irons?

Here's the thing, what if you run into a situation where you are still out 250 plus-perhaps it's a super long Par 5 and a 3 wood is the only option, I would keep the 3 wood because the 3 wood is about control and accuracy- book i'm reading has taught me that. I bet that you hit your 3 wood at least 280 if you hit your driver 300+ so you can use the 3 wood off the tee when you need control and accuracy AND distance when the fairway is tight or something like that. Just on a side note, I found it easier to hit a fade or draw off the tee with my fairway wood so maybe you can find some benefit there.

Since you can play the same hole twice without it ever being the same, I would keep the 3 wood because you never know what stuation you'll find yourself in, for example, what if you hook your 300 yard drive into the next fairway leaving you with a huge distance to make up for? A 3 wood could save that hole

anyways, keep on hitting your driver like that, if you are hitting 300+ consistently, you are clearly in a great situation off the tee!

just don't be like bubba and spray your long drives everywhere haha

I still think the better option for a +300yd driver is dump the 3W, go 4 wedges(you are going to have way more short shots) and pick up a 3H. I hit my driver in the ~300 yd range and 4iron is ~220. From testing at GG i hit the 3H in the ~240-250 range. That means I am getting home in 2 on most par5's with 2 well struck shots and I have 2 options for teeing off when I dont need driver. Now I just need to sell another laptop to finance the 3H

I still think the better option for a +300yd driver is dump the 3W, go 4 wedges(you are going to have way more short shots) and pick up a 3H. I hit my driver in the ~300 yd range and 4iron is ~220. From testing at GG i hit the 3H in the ~240-250 range. That means I am getting home in 2 on most par5's with 2 well struck shots and I have 2 options for teeing off when I dont need driver. Now I just need to sell another laptop to finance the 3H

See now that would make sense, it depends on if he-like you-has a hybrid, wood, or iron that could keep a nice gap between the 300 yard driver and lets say a 220 4 iron, if he hits his 3 wood almost the same say 280, then something that would hit about 260-250 would really be nice bit again it's all depending on his set up

See now that would make sense, it depends on if he-like you-has a hybrid, wood, or iron that could keep a nice gap between the 300 yard driver and lets say a 220 4 iron, if he hits his 3 wood almost the same say 280, then something that would hit about 260-250 would really be nice bit again it's all depending on his set up

Agreed, it would be a waste to limit yourself to 220 yards after your driver, if you can hit that driver 300+ yards. There are a lot of golfers who will never know what it's like to have that type of distance. Use your gift to your advantage.

Unless you only plan to play 1 course, and you don't need it for that course, then I would get rid of the 3w. But if you do plan to play other courses, I would seriously consider keeping it.

I'd keep the 3 if I were you.

My driver carry is about 260 but I'm inconsistent with it so it can be a very dangerous club (SS107 via TrackMan).

My 3w will go about 260 total off the tee (depending on course conditions) and I can handle it a lot better. On days when I just don't have it with the driver I like having the option to pull the 3w.

On days when I don't have any control of my metals I'm playing my 3i off the tee to 225-220.

I'd keep the 3 wood to add some versatility/flexibility.

My gaps*:
Driver- 285; 3w- 265; 5w-245; 3i-225; 4i-215; 5i-200; 6i-185; 7i-170; 8i-155; 9i-140; pw-130; gw-110; sw-95

*(maximums)

I don't know how you break out but i always like to have another option in the bag that can send it out there a bit.

I agree with this 100%. The OP obviously doesnt have trouble with distance so I say drop the 3 wood for a hybo and a 4 wedge setup.

Here's what I would do: Return the RBZ 3 wood and get a cheaper one. Then go buy some nice irons. Sure the cheaper 3 wood won't be as great as the RBZ one, but it should work just fine since you use it rarely.

Back