Fairway woods with PGA limit COR (.830) -- request for assistance

ryebread

Reaction score
Handicap
Googolplex
Hi. I've done quite a bit of searching here and elsewhere, but have had a bit of trouble finding this particular information. In short, what's a list of fairway woods (let's say 3W) that have a COR of .830 for the head?

I understand that there's more to distance that COR and that more of this has to do with shaft length, overall weight, shaft fitment, shaft weight, counter balancing, spin properties of the head and weight placement in the head. This isn't to say that these things aren't important. They're critically important, but I think they vary from player to player and will be tied to the individual fitment. They'll also come down a bit to personal preference, ball flight, swing speed of the individual, etc..

The COR of the face on the other hand is the COR of the face. With all the recent threads about potentially using a strong 3 wood off the tee, it seems like a very salient question. If one is getting a strong 3, then it'd seem to make sense to get one with a face as hot as a driver.

I'll start. Here's the fairway wood heads that I've found to have a COR of .830:
- Tour Edge XCG3
- Tour Edge XCG4
- Tour Edge XCG5
These have been verified by Tour Edge. I'd suspect their CB lines do as well, but I don't know how far back that would go and don't have verification from them.

If possible, please avoid posting comments like "I've hit this and it has a really hot face." If you've hit something and do think that, please see if you can run down verification of the actual COR with the manufacturer. Even if it doesn't meet .830, then it'd be interesting to post the actual number. I think it's very telling for a comment like "I felt like club X was extremely hot, but it has a COR of .826."

I think the results will be very interesting. Can things like the velocity slots really make a difference? Is a TI version of a club really hotter than a stainless? Can design make up for more advanced materials? This is a way to potentially cut through the marketing a bit.

Thank in advance for your help! I think it could be valuable to our community.

Last edited:
Check out Wishon clubs as well. Particularly the 949MC and the 929HS FW's.

gioguy21: That's one admittedly valid opinion and I'm not debating that. Notice, this isn't asking for what's the longest fairway, or asking how to be the longest fairway.

This is the equipment forum. We're talking about equipment because we have an interest in equipment. If people aren't interested in the actual equipment, then they're not here. Want to eek out 5 more yards, then absolutely go to the countless other threads about improving your swing.

The goal with this thread is to cut through the marketing and try to get some apples to apples comparisons on the heads. I find the technology and the way the different companies try and solve problems fascinating. Does it work? Are fairways like drivers and pretty much maxed out (from a face perspective)?

The reason I ask for help is because I think this could become a community spot of data. I've found what is above, but don't have the time, knowledge or connections to look into all of them. As a community, I think we need more sources of truth.

gio - no offense taken, but...

This is a golf forum and I don't really see a reason to discourage people from posting, sharing, and learning. If a topic doesn't interest you, you certainly don't have to read.

I would think they would have a list somewhere that gives the COR for each club. I don't know if it's a "secret" type of thing, but I've been searching the past 30-45 minutes and I'm struggling to find any information on the COR for fairway woods.

I'm going to try searching for a USGA list. One would think they would have a list somewhere that gives the COR for each club since they have a list of banned clubs.

I would think they would have a list somewhere that gives the COR for each club. I don't know if it's a "secret" type of thing, but I've been searching the past 30-45 minutes and I'm struggling to find any information on the COR for fairway woods.

I'm going to try searching for a USGA list. One would think they would have a list somewhere that gives the COR for each club since they have a list of banned clubs.

That's the challenge that I've faced. This information isn't as readily available as one might think. That's why I thought that maybe individuals had individual lines to companies (or had previously verified this).

I find a ton of marketing material about a club getting closer to max COR or that a club is 20% hotter than last year's similar model. I don't find much in the way of hard numbers.

I tried the USGA route, but obviously could have missed something. Let us know what you find! Thanks for looking.

The Wishon 949MC has a COR value of .830 and the 929HS has a COR value of .825

I was told by a tour edge rep at demo day that fairway woods were not tested by the PGA. This leads one to believe that maybe a few are non conforming. Remember this was at a demo day so maybe a bit of sales talk. I did purchase!

All that being said I do think that the shorter shaft and smaller head seem to do more for me than anything else. I would say the extra loft also but in the larger heads it seems I don't get as much rollout as with the smaller head.

Back