usaf_giles

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Been playing cavity back for over a year now, can't take it anymore. I WANT MY BLADES BACK. any suggestions before I go in an hit some. Just looking for some good ideas. I had mp14s and loved them, for some reason my local club pro talked me into trading them in.

Been playing cavity back for over a year now, can't take it anymore. I WANT MY BLADES BACK. any suggestions before I go in an hit some. Just looking for some good ideas. I had mp14s and loved them, for some reason my local club pro talked me into trading them in.

Join the club. I made the same mistake and my scores have been sucking ass ever since.

What do you miss about the blades? Are you looking for an iron with some forgiveness packed in? What are you not liking about the 2.0s?

I just can't work the ball left to right at all with them. I used to have no problem working it either way. I'm a pretty consistent ball striker, so it doesn't have to super forgiving.

Im really surprised you are struggling to work the ball, but it happens I am sure. There area many irons that fit in between larger perimeter weighted irons like you have and blades that do offer forgiveness.

However if you know what you want, many of the companies offer muscle back irons and you just really have to find the ones that look the best to your eye and fit your budget. There wont be a ton of difference between them in my opinion.

Im sure you will hear that "ABC company" feels differently and "DEF company" has a forgiving blade. Uhhh, not quite.

I don't know what the deal is. I hit them well, and can shape right to left no problem, but I never seem comfortable over the ball. I think it's because I played blades for so long, and then switched.

Im really surprised you are struggling to work the ball, but it happens I am sure. There area many irons that fit in between larger perimeter weighted irons like you have and blades that do offer forgiveness.

However if you know what you want, many of the companies offer muscle back irons and you just really have to find the ones that look the best to your eye and fit your budget. There wont be a ton of difference between them in my opinion.

Im sure you will hear that "ABC company" feels differently and "DEF company" has a forgiving blade. Uhhh, not quite.

I think the Bridgestone J40 line (CB or DPC's), Cleveland 558 line or the RAZR X forged might some great starting points. Not quite musclebacks but definitely able to work the ball with any of those. Like you said though, a large selection to choose from.

I really like the VR Pro blades, I think they are one of the best looking irons on the market and loved them when I hit them, only hit the 8-PW but still loved them. I just like my forgiveness but love the idea of a combo set. I would just go in and hit all that you can and get what fits your eye the best and what gives you the best results.

I just can't work the ball left to right at all with them. I used to have no problem working it either way. I'm a pretty consistent ball striker, so it doesn't have to super forgiving.

I don't know what the deal is. I hit them well, and can shape right to left no problem, but I never seem comfortable over the ball. I think it's because I played blades for so long, and then switched.

Help me out here with the bolded parts?

Why do we amateurs feel like we need to work the ball more often than pros do?

I say if you feel comfortable standing over the ball with a blade in your hand then get some blades and hammer on them.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your natural shot shape a draw (right to left)? If it is it makes sense you can shape it right to left but not left to right, being confident and comfortable over the ball is a big factor IMO. It's possible that just because you are so uncomfortable with them is why you can work it if that makes sense, I have seen people work the 2.0's with no problem but they were very comfortable with the iron and loved them.

I was just about to post the same thing JB

Why do we amateurs feel like we need to work the ball more often than pros do?

I say if you feel comfortable standing over the ball with a blade in your hand then get some blades and hammer on them.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk
I will take straight 7 days a week! I never try to work the ball unless I have to, getting around a tree etc. To the bolded part though I agree 110%

What I was saying about working it right to left. I used to hit a baby fade with my irons, with the 2.0s I hit a pretty big draw. I hit the fade for so long, I find it difficult to hit the draw into greens. I just can't get it into my head and accept it. I tend to fight it, and miss left way too often. Like someone said above, I just can't get used to the look. I gave them a good run, and my scorecard has suffered.

I and many others may ask to look at the cmb's. I really like 10yards suggestion o vr pro. Awesome iron! The 712 cb is also nice. I think JB said it best, when looking at blades, your looking at looks. They all seemed to perform the same for me. Good luck in your search. Once you get things in your head, they are tough to deal with.

I and many others may ask to look at the cmb's. I really like 10yards suggestion o vr pro. Awesome iron! The 712 cb is also nice. I think JB said it best, when looking at blades, your looking at looks. They all seemed to perform the same for me. Good luck in your search. Once you get things in your head, they are tough to deal with.

It sure is. I think I just need to part ways with these, just to start anew.

The solution here seems to be go buy some new blades and hammer away!

If somebody can tell me how the MP69s, Titleist MBs, W/S FG62s, Nike Pro Blades, or and other muscle back differ, please let me know.

Find the head you like, the shaft that fits you, and the grips you want drop your $1200 and start working the ball as much as you want.

A friend of mine plays the 712s, don't really care for them. the 695MB and the 710s are another story

The 712 mb's felt terrible to me.

You ever hit the 690MBs JRod? That was a muscleback from hell. I loved them, but honestly they were probably too much for me as I was getting older. But wow, when I smoked a 5i, I felt like a man.

Kevin

If somebody can tell me how the MP69s, Titleist MBs, W/S FG62s, Nike Pro Blades, or and other muscle back differ, please let me know.

Find the head you like, the shaft that fits you, and the grips you want drop your $1200 and start working the ball as much as you want.

TaylorMade has changeable weights in their blades. It makes it so any golfer regardless of skill can find the right setting and never miss with them :bananadance:. Callaway has Roger Cleveland's sexy design on them so they are better looking and more forgiving than other blades :D.

TaylorMade has changeable weights in their blades. It makes it so any golfer regardless of skill can find the right setting and never miss with them :bananadance:. Callaway has Roger Cleveland's sexy design on them so they are better looking and more forgiving than other blades :D.
That weight is for SW purposes so they can build them to your spec at the factory, they are very very very hard to change for the average joe like us. I know you were joking around but thought I would point that out.

I did the same thing. Thought I didnt have the swing for blades, got rid of my MP-32s and bounced around from various CB irons before finding another set of MP-32s and couldnt be happier. Theres nothing like the feel of a properly struck shot with a blade.

I did the same thing. Thought I didnt have the swing for blades, got rid of my MP-32s and bounced around from various CB irons before finding another set of MP-32s and couldnt be happier. Theres nothing like the feel of a properly struck shot with a blade and they really arent that much less forgiving than a CB.

Please explain that. Science with balance point vs sweet spot and mass says otherwise.

Back