Thompson Cigars

Thread: Miyazaki and International flex code

Handicap
    Thanks

Miyazaki and International flex code

Been Pondering the Cleveland Classic since you can get them from $199 these days
    Question of how you find your flex code though.

How does this work exactly? Do they have some kind of device like the Mizuno shaft optimizer that spits these flex code numbers out for you? Do you just hit every shaft under the sun till you get the best results and that's your flex code? I hear about the "fitting" Cleveland can do for you, yet I have never seen one done, and the last time the Cleveland Rep out this way had a demo day all he had was a bunch of different drivers to hit. No fitting cart, no interchangeable shafts or heads.

Is there some kind of fitting system that I just don't get to see out here? How did all the Cleveland Golf MC staffers get fitted for their Drivers?
    WITB

Updated - 2/28

Handicap
    Dice
    Thanks
    From what Ive heard you tell them which shaft you like, say Prolaunch Red. But then you tell them what more you need out of it, and they skew the numbers to meet your asking. But thats only what I have heard.

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,944 Times in 5,686 Posts
    There isn't anything like an optimizer, so it's going to be centered around demoing and a launch monitor. The last Cleveland demo day I went had a number of drivers, some with aftermarket Miyazki's installed and a FlightScope. I watched a guy get fit for almost an hour that day.

There is also this catalog http://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/20...om_Catalog.pdf that has flex codes for other shafts based on how Miyazaki determines them.

I think the point of the INTL Flex Code is to show the different launch characteristics numerically rather than just lableing something "stiff" or "regular".
    XTD 12 w/ Kusala Blue
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Basement Dweller
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,085 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTex View Post
    Been Pondering the Cleveland Classic since you can get them from $199 these days
    Question of how you find your flex code though.

How does this work exactly? Do they have some kind of device like the Mizuno shaft optimizer that spits these flex code numbers out for you? Do you just hit every shaft under the sun till you get the best results and that's your flex code? I hear about the "fitting" Cleveland can do for you, yet I have never seen one done, and the last time the Cleveland Rep out this way had a demo day all he had was a bunch of different drivers to hit. No fitting cart, no interchangeable shafts or heads.

Is there some kind of fitting system that I just don't get to see out here? How did all the Cleveland Golf MC staffers get fitted for their Drivers?

Check out the Custom Shaft options PDF on Cleveland's website. It will show the flex code for all the shafts they offer and graphs to show you stiffness vs. launch.
    Driver: Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5 (N,+1) Heavy Screw Toe & GC Down
    Hybrids: Big Bertha 3h & 4h
    Irons: Big Bertha 5-P
    Wedges: Mack Daddy 2 Slate 50|54|60
    Putter: Tank Cruiser #1 Wide
    Ball: Chrome Soft

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howzat View Post
    Check out the Custom Shaft options PDF on Cleveland's website. It will show the flex code for all the shafts they offer and graphs to show you stiffness vs. launch.
    Yes I see that, but the last thing I want to do is guesstimate what shaft I "think" is gonna be good for my game again, been there, done that, tired of it. I thought a YSQ in an Adams 9032 head would be a good combo for me. I go on a monitor after a while of playing it and find out in this low spin head I'm pulling 4000 spin rate. Guess I'm a bad guesser.
    WITB

Updated - 2/28

Handicap
    Thanks
    Tim Gillis at Miyazaki can be a big help, WestTex. Email or call them and he usually is the one that answers. He might be able to help.
    XTD 12 w/ Kusala Blue
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    There isn't anything like an optimizer, so it's going to be centered around demoing and a launch monitor. The last Cleveland demo day I went had a number of drivers, some with aftermarket Miyazki's installed and a FlightScope. I watched a guy get fit for almost an hour that day.

There is also this catalog http://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/20...om_Catalog.pdf that has flex codes for other shafts based on how Miyazaki determines them.

I think the point of the INTL Flex Code is to show the different launch characteristics numerically rather than just lableing something "stiff" or "regular".
    Could they tell the guy who was getting fit, " Well b/c of your swing type, you are going to need something around a 6655." Or do they go " The spin and launch numbers look good, the shaft your hitting is coded at 6655."

If its the 1st one, that's pretty cool. If it's the 2nd that's fine since it's no different than what I'm use too. They just can't give you all the options to demo since they don't have interchangeable heads.
    WITB

Updated - 2/28

Handicap
    Thanks
    Could they tell the guy who was getting fit, " Well b/c of your swing type, you are going to need something around a 6655." Or do they go " The spin and launch numbers look good, the shaft your hitting is coded at 6655."

If its the 1st one, that's pretty cool. If it's the 2nd that's fine since it's no different than what I'm use too. They just can't give you all the options to demo since they don't have interchangeable heads.
    I think it could go both ways. By looking at other shafts and the numbers or results you get from them Tim could probably recommend some things that might help. Honestly, there are people on the site here that could do the same. I'm not really one of them though.
    XTD 12 w/ Kusala Blue
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Handicap
    11.3 USH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,331 Posts

This is exactly my question. I thought there was going to be Miyazaki chart that would cross reference your current shaft to one of theirs, or something like that. I like my shaft, but would go Miyazaki in a second if they could tell me it was the 'same'.

edit: I think that pdf answered my question
    WITB

underconstruction

Handicap
    Thanks
    There is a pretty good list in the PDF I linked, T0AD.
    XTD 12 w/ Kusala Blue
    Black Fairway 17
    X2Hot 4h
    Z 545 5-PW
    RTX 2.0 48/ 52/56/60
    Buzelli STA-1
    Duo

Handicap
    Thanks
    Get some numbers with a stock classic and call them and tell the fitters what you are looking for they can give some really suggestions.
    Driver: with
    Fairways: BLACK 3W Mashie 5W and 7W
    Hybrid: Mashie 5
    Irons: 588 6-PW
    Flatstick: Connosieur Perfecto

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    I will either find a way or make one.

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,558 Times in 12,818 Posts
    It's really no different than any other fitting. Launch monitor use, shaft options in heads and finding the right balance.
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX