How windy is golf in the UK generally/links golf?

Renren89

Reaction score
Handicap
I always hear how it's the elements that make golf in the UK tough so I was wondering how windy is it generally when golfing?

I've golfed in some pretty strong winds so I'm just curious to compare.

I was thinking about this as well probably like a usual Lethbridge day. I think it's the overall elements that make Links golf so tough

I was thinking about this as well probably like a usual Lethbridge day. I think it's the overall elements that make Links golf so tough

well I was out today in 40+ km/h winds and shot a 6 over 43 which is one of my better scores and made 5 pars in a row somehow. With Lethbridge you can get some really windy days or no wind at all really which is why I'm curious

It really depends on where you are. If we're talking links land, then there will more than likely be some sort of wind 99% of the time. It can range from a steady but manageable 5-10km/h breeze, to some days being so strong that the flags are almost touching the green - one morning I played Machrihanish springs to mind.

It's really a combination though. It'll usually be colder, sometimes raining sideways, although the wind is quite predictable in direction on most links courses.

Depends where you're playing, in land it's rarely very windy at all, whereas on the coasts you can a expect it to be more windy

Wind can really affect links course golf, I played a links course twice in a week, first round wind was playing with us on most long holes and I had a good score of 89 ( par 70)
Second round wind was reversed and had a score of 98
Wind speed was pretty strong

I've played at Rye when the wind was seriously blowing (it's right on the coast). The wind strength and direction was actually very predictable, I just found that aiming out of bounds takes some getting used to! And the fact that a perfectly struck driver barely goes 200 yards in to the wind.

That said, if you're not by the coast then there is no reason for the wind to be particularly strong.

Quick example - I was playing the Old Course with Thainer. Hole 5, par 5, 520 or so yards. I hit driver, 7 iron on the green. Felt like a superstar. Until the back 9, directly back into the wind - hole 15, about 380 yards. I hit a great driver and absolutely melted a 3 iron to the green!

I've carried a 360 yard par 4 with a 3 iron. Turned around and came up short on a 220 yd par 3 with driver.

Quick example - I was playing the Old Course with Thainer. Hole 5, par 5, 520 or so yards. I hit driver, 7 iron on the green. Felt like a superstar. Until the back 9, directly back into the wind - hole 15, about 380 yards. I hit a great driver and absolutely melted a 3 iron to the green!

Haha yes!!

if you are not used to sustained wind while playing its a big challenge. I played Pacific Dunes with 10-15mph sustained and 30-40mph gusts. I believe the one par 3 was 125yds to pin and me and a friend both hit 7i and barely landed on the front of the green.

Anytime you are playing coastal golf it seems like you will a good amount of wind.

Here's a video I recorded while my brothers and I were playing the New Course at St Andrews. It was pretty windy all three days we played, and it affected the ball flight quite a bit. Links golf is traditionally defined as golf by the sea, which makes it quite windy. Playing inland is usually not that bad. When I lived in Oxford it was certainly not windy very often. The North Oxford Golf Club looks like any municipal track from the states, with a generally flat layout and trees lining the fairways.

I have always wondered this as well, mainly because while my course is not a links style course...I am only about 12 miles from the Gulf as the crow flies and there is almost never a calm day....most days you play at least 15mph winds...but I have played those days where is 25-30 steady with gusts near 40mph.

if you are not used to sustained wind while playing its a big challenge. I played Pacific Dunes with 10-15mph sustained and 30-40mph gusts. I believe the one par 3 was 125yds to pin and me and a friend both hit 7i and barely landed on the front of the green.

Anytime you are playing coastal golf it seems like you will a good amount of wind.

A year ago I played there, pretty sure that same hole, and absolutely striped a 6i into a strong wind and it literally stopped the ball at its apex and came straight down about 20 yards short of the green. The wind was blowing hard enough that day it blew my stand bag over and bending flag sticks intermittently.

This year at Old Mac I hit driver, 5i, 5i, chip into a 560yd par 5 that was playing directly into a fairly strong wind. That club combo would normally account for @660 yards of distance but it left me a chip to get on in 4.

Also, I'd add my opinion that well struck balls aren't as affected directionally by the wind as you would think, I find they tend to stay mostly on line. But if you've got some sideways spin going the wind really accentuates it.

Last edited:
Here's some video I took earlier this year in Utah at a course called Thanksgiving Point. I've never played in windier conditions. All the flags had greenstick fractures at the bottom because the wind was bending them over. On a 678-yard par 5 I hit the green in two, but then coming back into the wind on a 580-yard par 5 I hit driver-driver-3w.

My home course is sited right on the coast road in Co Antrim. There are days where I can hit my approach wedge to our Par 3 second and go through the green, then there are the days when a driver won't get me there. Played GMac's home course, Rathmore, back in May and the wind was that strong my driver fell short at the 141 yard Par 3. Bear in mind I carry my driver on average 250 yards.

Here's some video I took earlier this year in Utah at a course called Thanksgiving Point. I've never played in windier conditions. All the flags had greenstick fractures at the bottom because the wind was bending them over. On a 678-yard par 5 I hit the green in two, but then coming back into the wind on a 580-yard par 5 I hit driver-driver-3w.

Holy crap that is windy!

completely depends on where and when you're playing.

I've played links golf in the wind, and because it's so open there's no protection from the wind whatsoever. But I've played plenty of rounds in still conditions. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't always blowing a gale over here LOL

Tapped via tapatalk

Back