Jacob's College Search Thread

oh and btw - way to kick ass in HS - a 3.7 GPA is a great number. should open some doors.

Your ACT score, while good, probably rules out Yale or Princeton. That's ok, though. Vanderbilt would be a nice choice if they will give you a scholarship. I'd suggest you find the best school that will give you a full scholarship so you won't be burdened by debt when you enter law school. Another thing - start preparing for the LSAT as soon as you get into undergrad. Take Kaplan courses early and often and whatever else you can to get familiar with the types of problems presented. I thought I would knock the LSAT out with little preparation (like I did the ACT), but it requires much different skills. I ended up making a pretty average score.

The most important thing I can tell you is don't follow the traditional law school prep program. I was a political science major with a minor in English. It's very general, but it actually limited my options. What kind of lawyer do you want to be? Patent or Intellectual Property Lawyer? Do a computer, mechanical or software engineering major. Tax attorney? Make accounting your major. The benefits to these kinds of majors are numerous. First, if you decide not to go to law school you can get a job in that field, whereas you are pretty limited with political science, career-wise. Another plus is those with math/science based majors tend to do better on the LSAT. And if you decide not to specialize in that area of the law, you're still open to do whatever. Law schools care way more about your LSAT score and grades than they do your major.

As a recent law school graduate, I am going to echo what an earlier poster said...getting into law school is mainly about LSAT scores and grades in your major of choice.

As for college, going away from home for school is a must. But looking at a map, if you end up at Alabama or Auburn, that's far enough to gain some separation. Major-wise, as a political science major, not much call for that major in the real world unless you end up going to law school or working in politics or government. I did enjoy the major so that is always important.

While in school, if you're still interested in law school, get an internship or job at a law firm or the county prosecutor's office or the law department of a corporation. Good experience and can help you figure what area of law you may want to focus on.

Lastly, if you don't have a specific focus in an area of law, go to the best law school you can get into.

Good luck...college is an amazing time. You will make friends that will last a lifetime.

With Regards to In-state vs. out of state costs. In Alabama, you are going to find a hard time finding an out of state school that is as cheap as in-state. Although if you get a scholarship, the out of state can be waived (Arkansas gave me in-state tuition).

Man am I glad that Canada doesn't have these hoops to jump through!

So, the time has come. I have a big interview on the 20th with Montevallo, which has risen head and shoulders above any other in my school search. I am interviewing for a scholarship that includes room, board, tuition, and a book stipend of 1000 per year. Anybody have any tips as far as the interview goes?

Good luck Jacob.

Get there early and get a good night's sleep beforehand. Be yourself.

So, the time has come. I have a big interview on the 20th with Montevallo, which has risen head and shoulders above any other in my school search. I am interviewing for a scholarship that includes room, board, tuition, and a book stipend of 1000 per year. Anybody have any tips as far as the interview goes?

Be yourself. That's what I've heard from all college people. And good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Smallie is giving you the best advice of all, be yourself.

Smallie is giving you the best advice of all, be yourself.

Yes, be yourself. Unless, of course, you typically flash the Trekkie sign and kiss their ring upon meeting your interviewer. If that is the case, don't be yourself.

Be confident and relaxed!!!!

As others have said "be yourself"....as someone that has interviewed hundreds upon hundreds of people for jobs, I can tell you nothing comes across better than someone who is confident and relaxed...I can pick up scripted answers and forced enthusiasm a mile away....be excited, be confident and be yourself and you will OWN IT!

Good luck Jacob!!

Come tour Auburn, the loveliest village on the Plains!

Jacob, good luck buddy! I had such a difficult time deciding on both my undergrad and graduate schools. I only applied to three undergrad (Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, and Washington & Jefferson) and I still struggled with my decision. I ended up going with the small, private liberal arts college (W&J) and absolutely loved it. It's really tough to beat the small class sizes - I developed relationships with professors that just wouldn't be possible at a large university. My undergrad had only about 1,500 students, something I really came to appreciate. I've come to notice that graduate schools and employers appreciate an intense liberal arts education. I don't think you'd regret the small school route at all. Of course, I also played football which factored into my decision but I still have no regrets. I've made my way into a graduate program that I absolutely love and it's also at another private institution.

Best of luck at the interview. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job. I'm excited to see what your future holds.

Steel Tappin'

Good stuff Jake!

Just be you buddy, that shows through more than anything in an interview. Do that and you'll be fine.

Good Luck Jacob!

Good luck with that scholarship man!

Good luck! I hope the interview goes well!

Jake, do your homework! Know the school inside and out. If this is the spot you want to attend you need to show them that you're more than just another member of the student bOdy. Relax and be yourself but also play up your passions. This will set you apart from others that interview. Listen to all they have to say. Ask questions of your interviewer, make
them the teacher, make them tell you their experiences. It will humanize the process. Good luck little bro, you'll be fine!

Best of luck buddy...

When I interview people for my university, the biggest thing I look for are hardwork and humility. I always want to see people who recognize they are not perfect/hotshots but have shown they are willing to work in their areas of weakness.

Tomorrow is the big day. I can't wait. Not really nervous, but very excited.

Good luck. Be prepared to talk about anything in your application.

Back