Could use a little help

CapC

Reaction score
Handicap
Morning Gents,

I have finally identified the true cause of my miss (slice off the tee / fat iron hit (not chunk)).

All season I have been struggling with the occasional slice and hitting my irons fat causing me to end up short of greens or short of pin placements causing me to get up and down or lag putt way more than I'd like to.
My chipping / pitching to get up and down has really benefited from my miss but now its time to shake this thing!

I've noticed this primarily happens on the back 9, I'm guessing because my body is slightly more tired and I subconsciously try to get away with this maybe? I have no idea really this is just speculation.

So what is it? Well, I believe my miss is due to improper weight shift, which would account for the occasional slice off the tee (to much weight being left on the back foot causing me to hit up with a more open face) as well as the occasional fat hit iron again to much weight on the back foot causing a fat hit.

Has anyone else struggled with this? I feel if I can correct this flaw and get rid of these occasional mis-hits from this I'll be able to drop a few strokes per round and maybe get a little closer to breaking 80.

Any tips or drills are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cap

That's basically the root of my biggest swing flaw and it's really freaking hard to make it go away. I can combat it pretty well after lessons, but it almost always creeps back sooner or later.

This is my same miss and here is the drill he has me do.

Place the ball about a foot or so ahead of where you rest your club. Put your feet together. Backswing step foward hit. Think happy gilmore. It forces you to get to your left side.

This is my biggest issue right now as well. Mostly due to my back injury but it's hard to hit solid, accurate shots when you can't get to your left side much. After my procedure this will all be fixed but in the meantime I cheat a bit and use a little stack and tilt and put the ball a little bit back in my stance

Might not affect you but for the tee shot a slice can be affected by having too tight a grip, by that I mean your right hand too far overlapping your left.. you could try loosening it and letting your right hand slide back around a bit... works a lot of the time with tee shots anyway..

~Shane

This video will address all of your issues, it has helped me with my transisition

Next time you are at the range, place a golf ball under the outside of your right heel. When you make your back swing you should feel tension on the inside of your right leg. On the down swing you are already moving left due to the right heel being on the golf ball.
Make sure you keep the right knee flexed and this should
Assist in getting off your right side as well as aid in maximizing your back swing.

Back