What's the most most stupid or unlucky thing to happen to you on the course?

You should have invoked the Eldrick rule and decided that someone must have picked it up and taken it. Free drop, no penalty.

in my case, the gallery was composed of squirrels and a possible ball monkey in the tree. I suppose it would apply. :act-up:

I was playing a local muni (wilkes barre golf club, bear creek, PA) with my friend Matty on a weekday afternoon (hardly, if anyone was out besides us). the fourth hole is a short par 3...tree lined, two bunkers left and right. Matty and I both make 3's and i'm fuming b/c i just missed a 5 footer for birdie. on our way to the next tee (roughly 40 yards away, to the right of the 4th green, thin line of trees seperating the 4th and the black tee box of 5). while he's teeing off i see a crappy ball on the back of the black tee box and in an attempt to hit a low punch shot with my driver, through the thin line of trees, through the 4th hole to the adjacent driving range...

i thin it...it runs up and through the bunker...on the green...and in the hole on 4.

matty and i were stunned and said there's no way that just happened, etc...so we ran to the 4th and sure enough...it was in the hole.

to this day the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me on a course.

I was playing a local muni (wilkes barre golf club, bear creek, PA) with my friend Matty on a weekday afternoon (hardly, if anyone was out besides us). the fourth hole is a short par 3...tree lined, two bunkers left and right. Matty and I both make 3's and i'm fuming b/c i just missed a 5 footer for birdie. on our way to the next tee (roughly 40 yards away, to the right of the 4th green, thin line of trees seperating the 4th and the black tee box of 5). while he's teeing off i see a crappy ball on the back of the black tee box and in an attempt to hit a low punch shot with my driver, through the thin line of trees, through the 4th hole to the adjacent driving range...

i thin it...it runs up and through the bunker...on the green...and in the hole on 4.

matty and i were stunned and said there's no way that just happened, etc...so we ran to the 4th and sure enough...it was in the hole.

to this day the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me on a course.

if you'da taken 3 more practice swings on #4 tee, that shot would have been chambered for you. You'd be posting this in the hole-in-one thread :banghead:

lol subvet, this is true however i wouldn't be hitting a thinned driver on a 163 yard par 3...

Re reading this thread just brought up a great memory of my Dad. He passed 3 years ago. He was a horrific golfer (could not hit a wood, played all irons). He introduced me to the game and took me out all the time as a kid. But......He was that guy. Local course. Uphill par 4 trees lining both sides. Hit his usual 'power fade' into the trees. Lines up his shot out and bam...hits the tree in front of him and a second later he is down on the ground grabbing his Jewels. Thank you THP for bringing back that memory.

Someone mentioned hitting a power line, I have hit a power line on back to back tee shots. Finally missed it with my 3rd ball haha. And I have got hit by a golf ball. I've also hit the tee marker on my follow through, no unlucky just goofy me trying to get the best angle off the tee :banghead:

I thought of another one from my middle school golf team days. I was on the chipping green practicing along with some other 14 year olds (wow does that sound dangerous). The team was new at the time, so they were taking pretty much anyone who would join. I was minding my own business when from across the full sized green a ball comes flying at me an nails me right in the chest. I was more shocked than injured. Some kid was joking around with his buddy and swinging too hard, bladed it, and I was the unintended target. Big bruise. I still thought it was funny.

Today, on hole 1, 2nd shot of the day, I took out the PW. On my downswing, my shaft completely split in half, with the head-end somehow still making contact with the ball before flying away. What a way to start my round.

Hit my tee sheet under some trees and on the left hand side before the turn on a dogleg left. Hit a low hook 5 iron punch, but instead hit it dead straight (pretty much 90 degrees parallel to the fairway) into a power pole across a creek just off the side of another tee box. Hit the pole mid ways up kicked dead left and back into my fairway about 25 yards away. Got up and down for par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night I lost 2 balls because of blind approach shots. I hate that.

I just HAD to bump this back up because after bombing one over 300 (15mph wind :D) on a long par 5, I arrive to find where my ball ended up.

I was only 240 out from a possible Eagle putt opportunity...until I saw this....
Spoiler
IMAG0121_zps96dc3e7e.jpg

Unlucky, because last I saw it was skirting the left edge of the fairway, but it must've kicked left or hit a bump or root or something and shot it to the tree.

Last edited:
This happened when I first moved down to Florida. Playing golf with my Dad and Tampa, and it was hot as carp. We were on the 6th hole, long Par 5, with woods and a creek running the entire left side of the tee box and hole. I tried to swing out of my shoes, and the driver flew out of my hands in to the wood and creek. We looked for a while, but it was nowhere to be found.

Dude I'm sorry for laughing but for some reason I can picture that in my head lol.

I just HAD to bump this back up because after bombing one over 300 (15mph wind :D) on a long par 5, I arrive to find where my ball ended up.

I was only 240 out from a possible Eagle putt opportunity...until I saw this....
Spoiler
IMAG0121_zps96dc3e7e.jpg
Hahaha, wow. That sucks.

lead an entire tournament by a stroke last year. Last round, 16th hole. Thunder.

My ball landed in a pile of poop, made for a crappy situation

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

My first time playing 18 holes and came upon number 6, which is a 176 yd par 3. I take out four iron and swing away. I topped the everloving hell out of it. The ball goes about 30 yards to my right, hits the cart path, rolls down the path and over the bridge (The hole is over water from tee to green) and lands in the drop area on the other side of the water.

Back in 1990, I was playing the Navy Golf Course in Cypress, CA (Tiger's old stomping ground), and a member of my group asked me if it was okay to hit. I looked down the fairway and said "yeah, they're far enough away". Next thing I know I'm screaming "FORE" as I watch this guy's drive nail someone square in the back. I didn't say another word the rest of the round.

I've been sitting here laughing my butt off while rereading these. Hilarious.

Similiar story here, my first visit to Jekyll Island many years ago, I hit a ball out in the palmetto plants and saw the ball. Unknowingly, I just waded right into those plants and couldn't move without getting slashed. I finally got out of the mess (sans ball) with my legs and arms slashed and bloody. It looked like I had finished runner-up in a knife fight. When I got back to the motel, my wife thought I had been in a wreck or something with all the blood and slashes.

I once had about a 3 foot kick in for par, or something else. It hits the metal rim that's in the lip of the cup and bounces out of the hole. Hilarious, looking back on it.

part stupidity part bad luck. Last year in my club championships I was solidly in 2nd place with 3 holes left when I came over the top on my 2nd into the par 5 16th and hooked it deep into the woods. I should have taken an unplayable, but I attempted to punch the ball through 15 yards of thick foliage to the fairway and of course hit a tree on the way out. I heard the ball land somewhere right but didn't see it, and neither did anyone else. After being unable to find it I had to take a drop/unplayable etc and ended up with a 10 lol. The biggest kick in the ass was during my next round when I hit a shot close to the same trees I was in and found my lost ball from my mishap in the woods :banghead:

I left my ball just short of the green on a par 3, and a squirrel ran out, grabbed my ball, and took off into the woods. I know, what a jerk!

First one for me was when I was a lot younger - the course I was a member of at the time had some sort of either telephone or power line running above the 14th fairway just short of the green. I hit a wedge which somehow or other managed to get itself stuck between the two cables (imagine the 2 cables running parallel with each other with links in them, kind of like a capital H but lying on its side)....I still don't know how it happened but for a time it was a talking point in the clubhouse after the other people I was playing with had mentioned it

Second one was last year when I was out for a round after work with a colleague and I almost topped my tee shot, it never got above 2 inches from the ground, hit the tee marker for the box about 10yds in front of us, knocked that out of the ground, flew into the air and went 90* right about 30yds and landed the other side of the green we had just left. When I picked the tee box marker up to put it back, it had dimple imprints from my ball, and my ball had a yellow mark where it hit the marker. In my defence I was trying to keep it low as we were hitting directly into the sun but I hadn't quite intended to keep it that low.....

a couple months ago I pulled a shot onto the rim of a drained lake bed (course was winterized). I barely stepped on the mud with my right foot and ended up being ankle deep with ruined shoes & pants. the lake bed was a real nasty coppery color mixed with the mud & I'm lucky I didn't fall in completely. I did save par though, lol

I have two. The first one was hole number 14 at Les Bolstad. The hole is a sharp dogleg right with a radio tower to the right. I tried to cut the corner but went a little to far right. I hit the radio tower, ball comes flying back and lands on the 13th green. The second one happened a few months ago. I was playing Koolau and the course was very wet. After finishing 12 I tried to walk up a slight incline to get back to the cart. Bad idea. I slid back down the hill three times before I gave in and crawled up the hill. Ruined my putter grip and glove and two towels trying to wipe all of the mud off of my hands and legs. My dad nearly fell out of the cart he was laughing so hard.

http://www.golfwolfcreek.com/layout9.asp?id=863&page=48676&sid=1896

This happened to me last year at Wolf Creek. I pushed a 3 wood a little too far to the right and ended up in one of the bunkers. When i stepped in the bunker the sand almost swallowed my shoes. I'd never played there before and thought it was weird. I hit my first shot and it went about ten yards into another bunker. The sand was so heavy. I went into the next bunker and the same thing. It was like walking in quicksand. Anyway i kept hitting it into bunkers advancing about 10 yard at a time. I was soaked with sweat and breathing like i'd run a marathon. All the guys were on the green waiting and laughing at me. I probably took a 8 swings in the sand from 4 different bunkers. I went out of my way the rest of the day playing away from bunkers because i thought they were all like that. No one in our group could figure out why i struggled so bad on that one hole. Everyone kept telling the rest bunkers were the best they'd ever played.

We got done with our round and had beers in the clubhouse. The guys started in on me again. I asked the bartender what the deal was with the bunkers on hole #4. He looked at me funny. He said all of the bunkers are considered ground under repair. They had begun replacing all of the sand earlier in the week. The were watering them constantly and flipping the sand. That why the sand was so heavy. I told him there were no signs and the starter forgot to mention this critical info. Everyone thought it was really funny. I didn't, i thought i was having a heart attack when i finished that hole. You're never supposed to work that hard on a golf course. Next week will be my first trip back to Wolf Creek. I'm having flashbacks of that hole. There's no way i'll even flirt with the bunkers.

Back