triple_bogey

Reaction score
Handicap
A lot of the clubs in the UK I feel are still set in the stone ages. Like how one must dress and what color socks are allowed, no head wear worn in certain areas, mobiles banned from the clubhouse ......you get the general idea.

Many clubs are struggling for fresh young members and maybe these type of restrictions deter them from joining.
Just seems, the rules in the US are more relaxed and more in tune with the times. I would like to know, how it really is?

It really depends. Their are some very traditional clubs in the ways you described here. However, there are probably more that relax things just a little bit, at least in my area.

The club I belong to has sort of been dubbed the 'working man's' club in the area. There isn't really any stodginess or formality in the way the staff interacts with members. Mostly just a bunch of folks that love to golf and drink.

A lot of the clubs in the UK I feel are still set in the stone ages. Like how one must dress and what color socks are allowed, no head wear worn in certain areas, mobiles banned from the clubhouse ......you get the general idea.

Many clubs are struggling for fresh young members and maybe these type of restrictions deter them from joining.
Just seems, the rules in the US are more relaxed and more in tune with the times. I would like to know, how it really is?

I think sock colour is taking it pretty far, but I don't mind a club that asks to remove hats in the clubhouse and things like that.

Most around this area are pretty relaxed. There are obviously some super prestigious courses that demand a lot of rules be followed, but even most of the mid range private courses are getting relaxed now.

Can't speak for the US, but I think you can find all sorts in North America.

The older, distinguished, moneyed clubs? They exist, for sure. Dress codes, yes. Banning phones? Possibly, but not often if at all.
Thing is, there's more...space here. More land, more courses, more clubs, more options. A lot of clubs outside the top echelon need to compete for member dollars. A younger demographic means fewer rules which would tend to drive them away. The phone thing in particular would be a non-starter.

I live in an area of perhaps 140000 people. There's around 15 clubs within 30 minute's driving. They can't afford to be driving folks away. Yes, there are one or 2 "old school" clubs, but in general...show up, wear pants, and don't abuse the course or staff and everyone's happy.

That's the perspective from Atlantic Canada.

I play many different courses with the society. Many ranging from the traditional to the Spa/Hotel type courses. Don't get me wrong, I always abide by the different rules set out for each different club. But I always enjoy the Spa/Hotel courses, mainly due to the fact its less stuffy in its approach to attract players to play their course (if that makes sense?)

After a game, I enjoy a drink and a good laugh with the society, but there are some traditional places that have frowned upon us just because the laughter was a tad bit loud.
The Spa/Hotel type places just let us be and this free-going spirit makes for a great atmosphere in the clubhouse.

I think sock colour is taking it pretty far,

I'm not joking.........white socks only and they have to be a certain length.

I haven't even thought about removing my cap anywhere at a golf course. I don't play at private clubs though that might have rules about things like that. I'd think they would worry more about people coming into the restaurant having bad BO from a hot and sweaty round than people wearing a cap. (Although they would likely be the same person!)

I take my cap off to shake hands at the end of a round, but other than that, my cap normally stays on from the time I get there until I get home from the course.

There does still exist the social etiquette of men removing their head cover once indoors, except in the instance of religious requirement.

We saw this playing Flint Hills National last year and I really enjoyed the one time restrictions, sort of added to the experience. After booking the tee times I received 3 emails over time reminding me of the rules including no hats inside the clubhouse, cell phones off, no women allowed in the 19th hole, etc.

It was cool there, but not something I want at my course.

I haven't even thought about removing my cap anywhere at a golf course. I don't play at private clubs though that might have rules about things like that. I'd think they would worry more about people coming into the restaurant having bad BO from a hot and sweaty round than people wearing a cap. (Although they would likely be the same person!)

I've never been a member either, but we have dinner a few times a year at my wife's Grandfather's club. I've witnessed them asking people to tuck in their shirts at the restaurant before, so I don't think being a sweaty mess would be well accepted. I think they have locker rooms and showers downstairs though.

We saw this playing Flint Hills National last year and I really enjoyed the one time restrictions, sort of added to the experience. After booking the tee times I received 3 emails over time reminding me of the rules including no hats inside the clubhouse, cell phones off, no women allowed in the 19th hole, etc.

It was cool there, but not something I want at my course.

I would never play a course like this. I like golfing with my wife

Can't speak for the US, but I think you can find all sorts in North America.

The older, distinguished, moneyed clubs? They exist, for sure. Dress codes, yes. Banning phones? Possibly, but not often if at all.
Thing is, there's more...space here. More land, more courses, more clubs, more options. A lot of clubs outside the top echelon need to compete for member dollars. A younger demographic means fewer rules which would tend to drive them away. The phone thing in particular would be a non-starter.

I live in an area of perhaps 140000 people. There's around 15 clubs within 30 minute's driving. They can't afford to be driving folks away. Yes, there are one or 2 "old school" clubs, but in general...show up, wear pants, and don't abuse the course or staff and everyone's happy.

That's the perspective from Atlantic Canada.

You have to wear pants! Hehe. I don't think I would gold if I had to wear pants.
I walked yesterday and it was 95+. Too hot for pants.

Agree with the no cell phones gets annoying when people are always answering calls in the middle of a round 'WAIT HOLD ON I HAVE TO TAKE THIS" A YEAH THATS A BIG NO....

Back