Caddies and Alignment

Jeanthemachine

Earl of Limerick
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.7
It is more common on the LPGA tour but I see that Vijay's caddie stands behind him when he is setting up to putt.

It is my feeling that setting up to hit a shot of any length is the responsibility of the player alone. I have no problem with the caddie and player discussing the line or type of shot to be played but, to me, once the decision is made the player should be on his/her own.

What do you think?

I think if you're a pro golfer you should be able to line yourself up without help. If I can do it, so can you.

I politely disagree. I believe that professional golf is a bit of a team sport. The caddy and golfer are working together as a team on every shot. Also, the caddy isn't assisting in the stroke, so I'm ok with it.

But I can also see your point.

I think if you're a pro golfer you should be able to line yourself up without help. If I can do it, so can you.

I agree. It bugs me to see a caddy line up the shot

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I politely disagree. I believe that professional golf is a bit of a team sport. The caddy and golfer are working together as a team on every shot. Also, the caddy isn't assisting in the stroke, so I'm ok with it.

But I can also see your point.

I too can see your point but what about a kicker in football? If he is about to line up for field goal from the hash, he has to line up the kick on his own. He has to decide how much wind, how much of a hook/push he will need.

I too can see your point but what about a kicker in football? If he is about to line up for field goal from the hash, he has to line up the kick on his own. He has to decide how much wind, how much of a hook/push he will need.

That's a bad example in my opinion. For one, it's a different sport. Two, do you think the holder and the kicker don't discuss where they want the ball to go? And lastly, no matter what the holder does, it is still up to the kicker to kick the ball. No matter how much the caddy helps with the alignment, the golf still has to swing the club. In my opinion, the caddy helping the golfer decide what shot to hit and alignment is not a big deal.

That's a bad example in my opinion. For one, it's a different sport. Two, do you think the holder and the kicker don't discuss where they want the ball to go? And lastly, no matter what the holder does, it is still up to the kicker to kick the ball. No matter how much the caddy helps with the alignment, the golf still has to swing the club. In my opinion, the caddy helping the golfer decide what shot to hit and alignment is not a big deal.

I don't think its a big deal....just offering another perspective

I think its fine. The caddy can see the zoomed out view while the player cannot.

I don't have a problem with it at all. If I was a professional golfer and my caddie didn't comment on my alignment when it off off I'd be upset. I think for many of them it's also a confidence thing. You know the yardage and club you need, but when your caddy agrees it solidifies the right move. Also when lining up a putt the caddy's thumbs up on alignment leaves you with a positive thought which is important on making a solid stroke.

It is more common on the LPGA tour but I see that Vijay's caddie stands behind him when he is setting up to putt.

It is my feeling that setting up to hit a shot of any length is the responsibility of the player alone. I have no problem with the caddie and player discussing the line or type of shot to be played but, to me, once the decision is made the player should be on his/her own.

What do you think?
They should outlaw this along with the long putters.

They should outlaw this along with the long putters.

Why? The caddie helps the player on every other shot and a good amount help read the greens as well. Should a caddie just be some schmo who totes the sticks?

--
Tapatalk2

IMO, the Caddie is doing a few things in this instance. 1. He is making sure that the shot is aligned. 2. Watching to see if the player is executing the putt properly so that if there is a miss he can let the golfer know what he saw and how it can be corrected going forward.

The USGA should ban caddies all together. Make all golfers carry their own bags. Problem solved.

Why? The caddie helps the player on every other shot and a good amount help read the greens as well. Should a caddie just be some schmo who totes the sticks?

--
Tapatalk2
I was joking, as I don't think there is anything wrong with long putters.

What do you think?

I think they should stop this, on any tour.

FWIW - The caddie can not stand directly behind the player on any shot. 2 stroke penalty.

He CAN stand behind to assist in alignment, but must move before the shot is taken.

If I didn't think it slowed things down I would be all for it but every little bit to speed things up helps.

Back