PSA: Shin Bones and Golf Balls.....Do Not Mix

revrat

Reaction score
Handicap
I'd never been hit with a golf ball before yesterday. I do not recommend it. It sucks.

I got paired up with a couple of cool guys at my local course yesterday, and we played up to a group of guys that as it turned out after speaking to them, were a bunch of first timers. They at least saw us waiting on them and they invited us to hit up and play through them. It was on a par 3 hole, and my playing partners and I had hit on, and the foursome that was letting us play by, had also hit up to the green in stead of waiting on us to finish out. No big deal. We were all going to putt out and my group was going to go off on the next hole and move on past the larger group. I was waiting off the green for the last guy to hit on. He was about 20 yards short of the green and needed to pitch up. I was standing about 40 feet off the green with two other guys, well away from the line of his pitch. The young lad cocks back and lets go a full swing with his wedge and skulls the ball badly, and hit an absolute missile. And right at me. I tried to dodge it, but it hit me flush on the shin bone and bounced off my leg and over the cartpath, and into someone's back yard. The noise it made on contact with my leg was sickening. It hurt SSOOOOO bad, I just knew my leg was broken. I got my self up off the ground and hobbled around while watching a big egg grow out from my shin. I was trying to laugh it off so that I didn't cry. The poor kid that hit me was mortified. He apologized profusely, and I tried to be as gracious as I could, but the urge to wrap a club around his neck was strong. Fortunately for all, my shin hurt way too bad for me to wrap any clubs around anything at all. I was able to finish my round out, but once I got home and got off my feet, it really started to hurt. Today, I have a big knot that has turned several different shades of green and purple on my leg. It hurts to walk, and even my pantleg rubbing against it is no fun.

I guess it could have been worse, but I know it could have been better. We all figured we were plenty far enough away to be safe, but apparently first time golfers can send balls to places that most folks who have played before would think impossible.

So yeah, if possible, I'd advise all to avoid getting shin-boned by a golf ball.

Was standing in the fairway a couple of years ago, playing a round with my brother in law (who is NOT a golfer). I was about 120 out and he was back about 200 out after shanking the t-shot. He skulled the next shot and called my name as hit it and all I could do was stand there. I was frozen!! I turned just in time and it hit right on my elbow. That too was not any fun. I played through the round but had some swelling and bruising for the next week or so.

Tough to hear that. Been hit in the temple, I still have headaches from that day.

Sorry to hear!

I got hit on the forearm about a month ago on the fly and it hurt.

It sucks.

There's a picture on here somewhere of ol Dirtguy when he got hit in the face by a drive. That poor guy looked like a bull stomped him, lol.

back when me and my cousin were 10. we were playing, he was definitely not a golfer. Didn't hit a shot more than 100 yards through the first 14 holes...Sure enough on 15, I'm 160 yards ahead of him, and I hear "Dan, look out!", hits me square in the back of the head. Still have a bump from where it hit, but no headaches like Thain.

Dan

Maybe the government should step in and make a law requiring all golfers to wear shinguards and helmets.

My back spin topped one into his shin a few weeks ago felt so sorry for him knowing how much pain he was in!!! Almost got myself at the range today hitting driver taking a practice swing and was a bit too close caught the end of the club ricocheted off the metal divider and skimmed my pant leg ball went 50 yards off the divider I may have cried like a baby had that hit me dead on!

My friend once hit me in the leg with his drive. Hurt like hell.

Getting hit is no fun. I had a worm burning 3 iron about 3 feet off the ground from about 60 yds away catch me in the upper thigh just below the jewels . It put dimple marks on my thigh and a nice very black and blue variation of colors took over my leg for a week and a half .And yes it hurt like h*ll.

I've never been h it on a course, just a really bad swing that sent it curling down the range right into my back. Nearly dropped me to my knees it hurt so bad. Thankfully the lady was super sweet and even took me out for drinks.

I was on a par 3 on a local muni when I first started playing, and a stray ball came flying over the hill and nailed me in the knee just as I was about to putt. Swelled up like a balloon, but I finished! Funny, no one ever came to claim the shot!

It's just too easy for anyone to go out and buy a golf club. This is the kind of thing that leads to mass clubbing.
The government needs to put more club control laws in place. <end sarcasm>

Sorry to hear you got hit.

I've been hit once on a ricochet (Stepped behind a tree and my buddy rocketed one off the tree in front of me - bang in the small of the back) and even that was no fun.

I think we get complacent. I've been playing with guys who hit the ball forward, even if distance or line is off. I've found myself walking up so I'm ahead of them on the way to my ball (ready golf, right?) and stopping to watch their shot where I THINK I'm safe....off to the side 30/40y but ahead 15/20y.

I'm safe with my usual partners, but watch the higher handicaps sometimes. They don't get ahead of the player hitting in most cases, because they've SEEN hosel rockets go sideways on a regular basis. I've gotten sloppy and I need to take more care with it before I collect some lumps.

I have been hit with 2 golf clubs in the head and have been hit 3 times with golf balls. The best golf club incident was when I was in the 6th grade. I had a smoling hot teacher who wanted to learn how to play golf. I was standing behind her showing her where to stop the club on her backwswing. She went ahead and took a full swing and connected with the top of my head. I tried to play it off like it didn't hurt and that I was fine. When the blood started streaming down the side of my face she freaked out and took me to the hospital. The best golf ball story happened when I worked at a golf course. The was a grumpy old man who would tee off at daylight every morning. I was mowing the 5th green when he came down the fairway. Instead of waiting on me to finish mowing he decided to go ahead and hit. The ball hit me on the inside of my knee and bounced around on the mower with me. Hurt so bad. I stopped mowing, picked up his ball, flipped him off, and threw his ball in the pond just short of the green. I think he got the point.

Dang that hurts! I am sorry to hear that

Revrat, keep an eye on that lump. If it doesn't go away in a reasonable time get it checked out medically.

I had a little fight with a bike pedal in late 2009 that cracked me right below my knee (at the same time I tweaked the knee). After 6 mos of not improving I ended up having to have it drained once a month for a year while the medical powers tested, ex rayed, mri'd and ultrasounded to make sure I didn't have some kind of cancerous tumor (I did not). Instead it's a slow leak of synovial fluid into a membranous pocket that's built up.

Then I was to have surgery to de-bride the entire thing but lost my job. Now, with no medical coverage, I drain it myself every 3-4 months (30cc syringe, 18g spike). It ain't no fun, but I'm used to it at this point.

Like Spazz said, keep an eye on that injury for sure. A few years ago during a softball game, I hit a ball that caught a guy in the shin, breaking his leg... and I'm far from being considered a power hitter.
A golf ball is far harder than a 44 core softball, so it could easily do some damage.

I have been lucky enough to have not ever been hit. Sorry to hear about this.

Man, that makes me cringe. Luckily never been hit by a ball. Had one go through my cart from the back, right through the front windshield.

Revrat, keep an eye on that lump. If it doesn't go away in a reasonable time get it checked out medically.

I had a little fight with a bike pedal in late 2009 that cracked me right below my knee (at the same time I tweaked the knee). After 6 mos of not improving I ended up having to have it drained once a month for a year while the medical powers tested, ex rayed, mri'd and ultrasounded to make sure I didn't have some kind of cancerous tumor (I did not). Instead it's a slow leak of synovial fluid into a membranous pocket that's built up.

Then I was to have surgery to de-bride the entire thing but lost my job. Now, with no medical coverage, I drain it myself every 3-4 months (30cc syringe, 18g spike). It ain't no fun, but I'm used to it at this point.

My lump is going down some already. It started off oddly enough, about the size of a golf ball. Now it's protruding out from my leg a good bit less. It's actually spreading out as it reduces in height, and it's showing a kaleidescope of special colors that I have only ever seen before on dead people. I can feel my pulse in it. It's still pretty sore, and especially so in the morning when I first get out of bed. Once I get on my feet and get moving, it feels much better. I have a nice dent in the shin of my opposite leg from some stupid act I committed a few years ago. I bet I have one left from this thing too when the swelling goes away.

I'm thinking I'll be good to go for my weekend round with some extra stretching and warming up. Maybe have some Advil and/or bourbon beforehand. I'm definitely wearing shorts though, so I can show that bad boy off.

That stinks, hope it gets better. I got hit by a drive last year in the middle of the chest, talk about taking your breath away.

Ice it... A lot.

My Dad got hit last year and from what I understand, it was a very painful thing for him, and for others to see.

They were on the 18th hole, and there is a pond at about 240 out, before going uphill another 125 yards or so to the green. Well, my Dad and his boss, both hit their approaches while another guy was looking for his ball on the green side of the pond. Apparently, the guy semi chunked his second shot and it rolled back into the pond. Well, my Dad and his boss were both on the green. So while the guy looked for his ball, they both went to the green, marked their balls, and walked back off the green, a good 10 yards or so, right of the green, between the cart path and the green. Well, the guy hits a sand wedge into the green (he's a left hander), and pulls it somewhat. He said he really didn't have time to get out anything other than "Watcccccc". The ball hits my Dad, right above where his hairline meets his forehead and splits his head open, dropping him to the ground in a heap. Dad said all he heard was Craig try to yell and then him hitting the ground, with blood rushing over his face soon after. His boss said they literally had to carry him away from the green, because his legs were practically Jello after getting nailed. Craig said there was blood in the dimples of his golf ball when he finally went back to pick it up. I can't remember how many stitches Dad ended up with, but it wasn't good. Craig felt awful, but we still give him crap about it to this day. I've done it, we've all done it. Sometimes we give people a little more credit than they probably deserve when it comes to putting ourselves at or near the line of fire.

I've never been h it on a course, just a really bad swing that sent it curling down the range right into my back. Nearly dropped me to my knees it hurt so bad. Thankfully the lady was super sweet and even took me out for drinks.

Was she hot?

I've never been hit thankfully, saw a friend of mine after he'd been hit in the face (played before me)
Not nice.

I remember once when I sent my drive with a 3-wood 89* right, skimming a green that had people on and also skimming a tee that also had people on,

Thankfully the ball ran on the fringe away from the people on the green, and the tees were back so the ball ran infront of the ones on the tees.
Just tappin away

Back