Looking to change to graphite iron shafts

fireant

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently swing the Ping i20s and love them. However, I am beginning to experience pain in the hands/elbows and other parts of the body. I am looking to re-shaft my irons from the Ping CFS steel stiff shafts to graphite. I play/practice quite a bit and willing to pay for high quality shafts. My 7i SS around 90 and I have high ball height. Any brand/model suggestions before I start talking with local clubfitters? Any thoughts on the Aerotech Steelfiber and Player Spec models?

Thank you

I have no idea about the Aerotech but are an intriguing shaft. The Matrix Program shaft shaft was reviewed here a while ago and lot's of people enjoyed them. Might be somewhere for you to start looking.

What about the Ping TFC? Those are high quality shafts - don't overlook them. People say good things about Aerotech's but get ready to pay.

Moved to shaft section.
There are lots of different graphite shafts that are outstanding.
Project X
Miyazaki
Matrix Program
The list is really endless. To me it comes down to the same thing as any other shaft really. The best thing you can do is a fitting to find out which one is best for your game. In my opinion graphite is even more important to do this with than steel because the ball flight manipulations can be changed quite a bit with different flex points.

Moved to shaft section.
Project X
Miyazaki
Matrix Program
The list is really endless. To me it comes down to the same thing as any other shaft really. The best thing you can do is a fitting to find out which one is best for your game. In my opinion graphite is even more important to do this with than steel because the ball flight manipulations can be changed quite a bit with different flex points.

This is really the only thing that has kept me from making the switch myself. Finding someone that knows what the hell is going on is difficult.

Moved to shaft section.
Project X
Miyazaki
Matrix Program

I agree but like JRod said, "finding someone that knows shafts" makes it difficult. I don't think I can walk in the local PGA SS and expect them to find the graphite shaft that suits me best.

I agree but like JB said, "finding someone that knows shafts" makes it difficult. I don't think I can walk in the local PGA SS and expect them to find the graphite shaft that suits me best.

Then perhaps the GA Tour Van Event is in order.

What about the Ping TFC? Those are high quality shafts - don't overlook them. People say good things about Aerotech's but get ready to pay.

What $ amt are you hearing about the aerotechs? steelfiber or player spec?

Then perhaps the GA Tour Van Event is in order.

I sure wish I could attend when you all are in town but I'm tied up attending my wife's Half Ironman race in Augusta that weekend.

how about xcaliber iron graphite shafts? Just get one or two shafts for testing it out, and see how it goes. It comes both .370 and 0.355

Just a thought.

After talking to a local PGA Master Instructor, I've decided to insert some sensicore and go to a softer grip (Winn Dri-Tac). I currently have that setup on my 7 iron and like it so far. Will post my findings after I play with this setup on all my irons.

After talking to a local PGA Master Instructor, I've decided to insert some sensicore and go to a softer grip (Winn Dri-Tac). I currently have that setup on my 7 iron and like it so far. Will post my findings after I play with this setup on all my irons.

Would like to add that I was using GolfPride New Decade standard size, single tape, grips.

Had some Srixon i701 heads in top condition but with stiff TT shafts that I could not hit.
Just had the shafts replaced with Arthur Xcaliber Regular taper-tip shafts.
Wow. Fantastic feel, easy on the arthritic thumbs, mid-flight, consistent distance and absolutely straight.
My regular fourball keep picking up their jaws.

I love love love the Aerotechs. I'm gaming them this year based purely on performance but they do also have the added benefit of better shock absorption. Those NDMC grips weren't doing you any favors either...

Love my players spec aerotechs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Love my players spec aerotechs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

These feel amazing in your j38's, contemplating these shafts in the ci's. I think it would be a good combo.

Cannot argue about the the Aerotechs. They are tour proven.

But for the average joe who wants to go graphite in his irons I highly recommend getting some Arthur xcaliber shafts from golfworks for a third of the price of the Aerotechs.

Back