Arc stroke with face balanced mallet?

polarisdude94

golf junky
Reaction score
Handicap
I have really been having trouble putting well lately, it seems no matter how much i practice I still don't putt well. I am using a Taylormade Rossa Monza Spider Vicino, which is face balanced. I think I do have more of a arcing stroke and didn't know if playing a face balanced putter and not having a straight back straight through stroke would lead to inconsistency. Should I be using more of a heel toe balanced putter? I have several types sitting in my closet, I just want to find something that fits me well and stick with it!

Thanks!

it depends on how much of an arc you have. i have a slight arc and i have used a Face Balanced putter before with success. id take a few out to the practice green and see which one rolls on the line you are aiming on more.

My fitter at the Callaway Performance Center told me that the Metal X #7 would work better with a SBST stroke. So I changed my stroke from an arc to that. It's a work in progress, but my normal golf partner says I have never putted better.

The fitter did say that if I noticed that I was still using an arc and missing most putts left, to come in and he would put weight on the toe to make it more toe balanced (and it wouldn't close as fast). I haven't done any of that yet, but it's something you might consider.

I have a moderate arc and I use a White Ice 7. Works great for me.

This is an interesting topic. I have a slight arc in my putting stroke and struggled with the rossa moza itsy bitsy spider. I then went back to my Scotty newport and started yipping. Now I am putting with the MetalX #7 and have seen some great results. As much as we want to tinker with arc and SBST. I think it comes down to confidence with the flatstick.

My fitter at the Callaway Performance Center told me that the Metal X #7 would work better with a SBST stroke. So I changed my stroke from an arc to that. It's a work in progress, but my normal golf partner says I have never putted better.

The fitter did say that if I noticed that I was still using an arc and missing most putts left, to come in and he would put weight on the toe to make it more toe balanced (and it wouldn't close as fast). I haven't done any of that yet, but it's something you might consider.
That seems to be my exact problem! I usually make most of my misses to the left. My arc isn't very strong, maybe a medium to slight arc. My high school golf season is just getting started and it's really disappointed to be putting so poorly. And I try not to make many, if any, equipment changes during the season.

This is an interesting topic. I have a slight arc in my putting stroke and struggled with the rossa moza itsy bitsy spider. I then went back to my Scotty newport and started yipping. Now I am putting with the MetalX #7 and have seen some great results. As much as we want to tinker with arc and SBST. I think it comes down to confidence with the flatstick.
I definitely agree about confidence, and right now I am not feeling too confident. Never lipped out so many putts for par.

That seems to be my exact problem! I usually make most of my misses to the left. My arc isn't very strong, maybe a medium to slight arc. My high school golf season is just getting started and it's really disappointed to be putting so poorly. And I try not to make many, if any, equipment changes during the season.

get a fitted for a seemore.

I may be missing the boat here, but have never believed in toe hang effecting my putts. I just find it hard to believe that I'm not in control of the face, regardless the weight/balance of the face. I have numerous putters, about half & Half face balanced and seem to miss consistently with all of them.

As much of a SeeMore homer that I am (I have used one for well over a decade). The Metal X #7 has relegated my SeeMore to second string for now.

As I would love to get fitted for a new putter! I can't afford that right now, that's why I came here to get some opinions. Getting fitted is ideally what I want! And I have hit the Metal X putters and they do feel pretty nice!

This is why i think you're better off with a SeeMore than a Metal X. not saying they are good or bad putters. i am excited about trying out my #7 and #9 when they get here but this is such a great video and explains a lot.

I actually heard this from the fitter! Exact same thing that he said. And it's very cool, and I totally agree with it.

However, I am putting so well with what I have now, the SeeMore is still second string.

I actually heard this from the fitter! Exact same thing that he said. And it's very cool, and I totally agree with it.

However, I am putting so well with what I have now, the SeeMore is still second string.

lol i'm not saying its the best for everyone. but i know going through over close to 40 putters in the past year its more luck finding a putter that works for you than anything else unless you really have tried a lot of different kinds in some length to really know and find something that can work for you. biggest thing i like about my seemore is im not trying to manipulate my stroke anymore with some of the Face Balanced i had in the past i tried to make my stroke more SBST. i think finding your natural stroke first and foremost can help you save a lot of time and money in finding a putter that can work for you. if you had access to the iping app that would be a great place to start. find out what stroke you naturally have and find a putter that matches that stroke.

As much of a SeeMore homer that I am (I have used one for well over a decade). The Metal X #7 has relegated my SeeMore to second string for now.
Don't listen to him. He's just an angry mod.
Listen to this guy. He's the king of putters.

/sarcasm

I am a believer that there is no correlation between toe weighting and stroke path. I also believe that there is no true SBST without face manipulation. Regardless, find a putter that suits your eye. Spend the $20 for a quick putter fitting, at the least. Get your lie checked. And get a lesson with a PGA instructor.

Every putting stroke has an arc to it, so it shouldnt matter.

Not necessarily. A putter is right for someone when their amount of arc matches up with the bend and weighting of the putter.
No argument there. My comment pertained more to the notion of a SBST putting stroke. Theres no such thing. That what I meant when I said every stroke has an arc and honestly the only way to have a true SBST is with some manipulation (closing the face on the way back and then opening it on the followthrough).

That's incorrect. People do have sbst strokes. I've seen them measured, trained, and engrained.

Sure if they need to take a two foot backstroke they'll have to work around their shoulders, but saying sbst strokes don't truly exist is 100% false.

That's incorrect. People do have sbst strokes. I've seen them measured, trained, and engrained.

Sure if they need to take a two foot backstroke they'll have to work around their shoulders, but saying sbst strokes don't truly exist is 100% false.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

I have a few things to say about that video:

1. He is not using the correct putter for an SBST stroke which will exaggerate the arc look. It will also need to be ridicuously manipulated as he said. Are people allowed to use the correct putter for their stroke? Or are they only allowed to use Anser-Scotty style putter?

2. He never said the SBST doesnt exist. He says his "perfect stroke" includes arc. Thats as ridiculous as saying the Stack and Tilt doesnt exist.

3. If he were using the correct putter, aka Centershafted face balanced putter, it can open and close while still being SBST.

4. This is a commercial for his swing device "Perfect Stroke", of course its the best stroke. If he used the proper putter with the correct device(not his own), it would be shown that its 100% possible.

Like I said before, SBST is real. It is very doable, and it is the way some people putt, and putt well.

I have really been having trouble putting well lately, it seems no matter how much i practice I still don't putt well. I am using a Taylormade Rossa Monza Spider Vicino, which is face balanced. I think I do have more of a arcing stroke and didn't know if playing a face balanced putter and not having a straight back straight through stroke would lead to inconsistency. Should I be using more of a heel toe balanced putter? I have several types sitting in my closet, I just want to find something that fits me well and stick with it!

Thanks!

Can't you putt heavy weights into the back ?
My brothers spider uses weights I bought for my supertri driver

Just tappin away

Can't you putt heavy weights into the back ?
My brothers spider uses weights I bought for my supertri driver

Just tappin away
Would that help? I do like heavier putters and it is on the lighter side somewhat. Had another terrible day at my meet.

This is why i think you're better off with a SeeMore than a Metal X. not saying they are good or bad putters. i am excited about trying out my #7 and #9 when they get here but this is such a great video and explains a lot.

Wow! I had no idea. Great informational video. Thanks for the education.

Back