Bridgestone J40 Pay It Forward Review Thread

Great write up and videos there Tadashi! When you decide on what shaft you are going with could you let us know?

Another great write up for the j40s .

Shark to be honest that would not do either iron justice. I'm going to stay away from that comparison. I did however put them head to head against my previous set last night and they were scary similar.

Freddie, 2 questions for you:

1) What was your previous set prior to the R11 testing?
2) What is making you order the J40's if they are so similar to your previous set? I am assuming you are seeing a little something extra with these but not sure what that is.

Thanks!

great first thoughts Freddie. Seems like you are already planning to pick up a set for yourself. Looking forward to reading more.

Royal I will keep you informed
Cookie I gamed the Srixon i701 tours and still have them. I'm getting the J40s for a couple reasons. 1. Loyalty to Bridgestone for their commitment to the Morgan Cup 2. I like the looks 3. They were similar but had a leg up in the forgiveness column and felt "softer" at impact. I worked a bit more with the Srixons. 4. I'm treating myself to a new set of irons, so why not the J40s

Makes perfect sense - thanks for the info! Hope you are bringing these to TX so several of us can give them a whirl (assuming you still have them).

Thanks guys I hit these for a minute last year during one of trips to the west side of the state and they are not at all what remember. This session last night showed me a different club with substance not good look.
Cookie I am going to get these and put them in the bag. I'm just trying to decide my set up with shafts.
War the 3i was a straight low/mid ball. Because the ball rockets off the face they looked like stingers. I had to work to hard to apply loft. So instead of frustration I'll just have to find a 21-23* hybrid

Wow so have the R11's been treating you bad recently or you just like these better? Just wondering as it seemed the R11's were awesome for you. As you know I switch out drivers like crazy so im not one to question lol.

Nice job Tadashi, looks and performance to boot is hard to beat. I'm getting pretty excited for my chance to try these out, your description of the shafts really have me pondering if they will be the right mix for me. Loved the video's and great info.

Let's not get it twisted, I love what I have in the bag. Not switching because they have failed me. I don't need another set of irons but these are that good that I want a set. I can't compare the two sets! I just know I will have two sets of irons I can hit.

Let's not get it twisted, I love what I have in the bag. Not switching because they have failed me. I don't need another set of irons but these are that good that I want a set. I can't compare the two sets! I just know I will have two sets of irons I can hit.

Cool i was just curious. Im the same way with drivers.

Nice writeup! These sound awesome and love the great feedback these are getting. I am very interested in both the J40's and the R11's and no-one can compare them... Everyone says they are completely different. How? Forgiveness? Looks? Performance? Are the J40's just that much better?

Ill send you a PM and list the comparisons and differences
Nice writeup! These sound awesome and love the great feedback these are getting. I am very interested in both the J40's and the R11's and no-one can compare them... Everyone says they are completely different. How? Forgiveness? Looks? Performance? Are the J40's just that much better?

"It seems that all that have touch these clubs have purchased their own."

I was getting that sense from following the thread. I don't know whether my swing is good enough for these babies, but I've got to check them out. Nice feedback from the range, Freddie. I'll be anxious to see how they perform for you on the course next week.

I'm at 17 Hc and these are plenty forgiving

Great write up and feedback Freddie. These J40s seem like real winners! I cannot wait to see what shafts you end up going with Freddie. One quick question, why are you avoiding comparing them to the R11's? Are they that much different? Or just because you haven't had much time with the J40's? Just curious, because both sets are on my radar.

I think this Pay it Forward thread has payed off for Bridgestone to say the least.

Great write up and feedback Freddie. These J40s seem like real winners! I cannot wait to see what shafts you end up going with Freddie. One quick question, why are you avoiding comparing them to the R11's? Are they that much different? Or just because you haven't had much time with the J40's? Just curious, because both sets are on my radar.

I think this Pay it Forward thread has payed off for Bridgestone to say the least.
I am avoiding the comparison because this isnt the thread for that comparison. I will start another thread just for that. Plus these clubs have game all their own and deserve all the love they get. Please don't take it personally I adjust respecting the thread.

I am avoiding the comparison because this isnt the thread for that comparison. I will start another thread just for that. Plus these clubs have game all their own and deserve all the love they get. Please don't take it personally I adjust respecting the thread.

No worries buddy and I don't take it personally. I guess I assumed this would be the place for those comparisons. Thanks for your information and I can't wait to continue reading people's thoughts on these irons, they are definitely on my must hit list.

Thanks Freddie. Really looking forward to reading the comparison.

Jan. 31st
ChampionsGate golf club
Range then 9 holes
Low 70s and windy.

My day started on the wide open wind swept driving range. I arrived a full hour prior to my round so I could get a good work out in. The wind was blowing steady 15-20mphs left to right.
My day started with the DPC 9i and nice easy swings to work my way into it. I had no idea of the distances to the flags so I asked the two guys next to me for a scope. I measured 5 flags...71, 99, 127, 148 and 164.
My goal was distance and distance control. I hit 35 balls with each of the three clubs. The 71yd flag was just in front and right of my position. 99 was left, 127 was edge of range right (down breeze) 148 was right edge and 164 was right middle of range.
Hip high chips to 71 produced low spinners. Distance control was fine in the sense the ball was landing fairly close to the flag but taking a skip (10ft) and stopping.
99 was dead into the teeth again a hip high shot trying to draw back into the breeze. I hit some flag high straight balls that had ground draw and spun left when they hit he ground. The control was not as good as the first flag but the height was constant.
The 127 and 148 flags were really right in my wheel house. 3/4 and full respectively. Mid ball flight to 127 and high arc to the 148. Each of the two distances produced some serious shafafa or spin. I mean one hop and stop. I tug on a couple 148 shots and it cleared the flag left by a good 5-7yds.
I scoped a 164, 176, 189 and 204 for the 6I. 3/4 swings to the 164 produced a mid bullet that hit the ground running. My full swing was used for the next two distance. I flew the 176 and land short of the 189. Again with a high planning ball flight. Same spin was produced with a full 6i as the 9i.
The 3i or wind cheater as I now call it was only hit full and produces a low to mid ball that really held its line well in the wind. It helps when your hitting BBs 20' off the ground. I tried attacking with a steeper angle to get more height and was successful but also was greatest with a block every time.
Distance: with my normal swing I was easily getting 145-149 distance. That is plenty long by my standards. The 6i was getting 180-187 est. on a normal swing. 3i was flying 205 with some good roll.
Feel: flush shots didn't melt into the face but I was greeted with another feeling that for the life of me I can't find the words to describe. I guess it felt like a ricochet. I would hear the ball and look up as it sprung off the face. It wasn't a hard or negative feeling but more of hit type action.
Forgiveness: I hit a few chubs that feel 10yds or so short of my intended target but kept their direction. I hit a few skinny balls 3 grooves down and just got a lower ball flight but no loss in direction.

I had three swings with these on the course. (2) with the 9i from 147 & 149 according to the on cart GPS. Hole high right on the first and 15 ft left of hole on 2nd. The 2nd was from an elevated location to a middle right green. The ball hit pin high and released 15' past. Btw I drained the birdie putt. The 6i I hit from 190 left of the green into a green side bunker 4 feet short of pin high.
The tech behind these clubs produces quality results on quality shots and good shots on less than stellar contact. All in all this is a very solid offer from Bridgstone.

Good info, Freddie. Think the J40s can be performers for you if put in to that bag of yours?

Good info, Freddie. Think the J40s can be performers for you if put in to that bag of yours?

All day everyday. It is a very solid set of irons. I'm not sold on the PX shafts but I do like the setup we are all testing. But something in my head tells me there is another gear I haven't uncovered. I have a few more sessions and I'm going to search for it

All day everyday. It is a very solid set of irons. I'm not sold on the PX shafts but I do like the setup we are all testing. But something in my head tells me there is another gear I haven't uncovered. I have a few more sessions and I'm going to search for it

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on what shafts you think would do best in these. I quite liked the px shafts that were in them, and felt they did me well.

I have the KBS tour 90s in the Wilson Staff set I have, and I find myself thinking about how those would do in the J40s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am leaning toward the KBS tours for my set.

Good write up Freddie, it'll be interesting to read how the KBS shafts work in the new sticks.

Back