Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Thoughts on the forgiveness of the CBs would be highly appreciated, especially coming from someone that plays the Burner 2.0 irons.

You beat me to this Ary, but TH, I would really like to hear your thoughts, especially on anything hit out towards the toe a bit.

Don't you have to be collecting Social Security before you can game the Blacks? I kid, I kid. :)

I hope not because I am leaning towards these, so TH, if you could give me a little comparison between these and the burner 2.0's I would really appreciate it.

Yes sir, I'm leaning strongly towards them. I think you'll be fine hitting them. JB said they offered a surprising amount of forgiveness so I'm really looking forward to your thoughts. I want to know how they sound and feel to you.

I am really looking forward to the feel and sound aspects as well. After reading JB's review, I am even more gidddy about these bad boys. Tomorrow afternoon can't come fast enough.

Will do. If I can't do a shaft comparison tomorrow, I will see if I can put one of my KBS shafts in the head soon and see what that does for me against the stock.

That would be awesome.

You beat me to this Ary, but TH, I would really like to hear your thoughts, especially on anything hit out towards the toe a bit.

I hope not because I am leaning towards these, so TH, if you could give me a little comparison between these and the burner 2.0's I would really appreciate it.

Sounds good Yorkem... you know my miss is slightly out towards the toe, so that shouldn't be a problem. HAHA Should be no problem comparing the 2.0's to the 588's, but I just don't know what he is bringing. I will hit whatever I can!

Sounds good Yorkem... you know my miss is slightly out towards the toe, so that shouldn't be a problem. HAHA Should be no problem comparing the 2.0's to the 588's, but I just don't know what he is bringing. I will hit whatever I can!

Thanks buddy. Let me know, if he brings them, how the blacks compare to the 2.0's too. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

these are the only irons out there right now that im drooling over. I might buy a set and hang them on my wall. im really interested in hearing how forgiving they are also with some longer testing...

Thanks buddy. Let me know, if he brings them, how the blacks compare to the 2.0's too. Just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

I was told he will be bringing the entire 2012 line, so the Black's, the 588's (both CB and MB), should be included along with the Mashie's. He probably wont have full sets, but we will see. I will try to get pics of them all side by side with the 2.0's.

I was told he will be bringing the entire 2012 line, so the Black's, the 588's (both CB and MB), should be included along with the Mashie's. He probably wont have full sets, but we will see. I will try to get pics of them all side by side with the 2.0's.

You rock bro. Thanks so much.

I get to hit the entire 2012 Cleveland line today!! So excited!

Lucky dog. Have fun buddy. Really looking forward to your thoughts.

I know you're excited, but so am I. I thought about this within 10 minutes of being awake today.

Lucky dog. Have fun buddy. Really looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks! I didn't make the MC, but I am going to do my best to help my friends get the most pre release Cleveland info possible!

I know you're excited, but so am I. I thought about this within 10 minutes of being awake today.
I find it a bit creepy you were thinking of me so early in the morning Hawk!! HAHA I kid. I will get pics, maybe a vid or two as well!

Thanks! I didn't make the MC, but I am going to do my best to help my friends get the most pre release Cleveland info possible!

I find it a bit creepy you were thinking of me so early in the morning Hawk!! HAHA I kid. I will get pics, maybe a vid or two as well!

hahaha. Hit them well!

I am excited for you! As for the bolded part, just another THP'er showing why THP'ers are the best people out there.

Dear tomahawk,

You're killing me.

Your buddy,

TC

Is it just me or are there some really good looking iron sets rolling out this year? Digging these a lot.

Is it just me or are there some really good looking iron sets rolling out this year? Digging these a lot.

i agree, i think these are the best looking players irons out this year. the titleist irons look good too.

No, it's not just you. There's some awesome stuff hitting shelves in 2012. I'm with you though, these irons are really attractive. Simplistic and wicked.

Granted I just took about 50 chip shots outside, but if these have a similar feel to the wedges I am excited.

Sent via Tapatalk

Granted I just took about 50 chip shots outside, but if these have a similar feel to the wedges I am excited.

Sent via Tapatalk

Dude, everything I've read about these irons is positive. The one word that seems to keep coming up is "powerful". I like that.

Dear tomahawk,

You're killing me.

Your buddy,

TC

Sorry bro! Just got back from an insane meeting with the local Cleveland rep. He showed us the entire 2012 line, gave us shaft options, (love the Miyazaki's), informed us of all the cleveland product, and the best part... Hit them! He had the classic driver in 9 and 10.5 lofts, the black drivers in standard and tour, mashie and black hybrids, a black 6 iron, a mashie 6 iron, a cg16 6 iron, and best of all, the 588 mb and cb 6 iron. I took some pics and a video of all of it and will post it tomorrow. Since this is the 588 thread and I know so many are drooling over them that is all I will discuss here.

First impression: the 588 cb is absolutely gorgeous! They exhude confidence and the slightly smaller head and thin top line are playerrific. The finish and graphics are simple and classy. The mb is a classic blade. Tiny head, razor thin top line, but beautiful! Too much
club for me, but in the right hands, the mb would be insane! They both come standard with TT shafts, but Cleveland has tons of shaft options from KBS to Project X, and Miyazaki graphite.

Weather:49 degrees, slight winds, hitting off of a mat at the range.

Performance: one word... WOW! I was only able to hit about 15 balls each with the mb and cb, but it was enough to make me lust. The 588 cb 6 iron is awesome. I hit it thin on the first couple of swings, (using all standard length, lie, and TT stiff shafts), but they still gave me good results, although the yardage suffered a bit. On the third swing, I adjusted, and pured a high draw about 185 right on target. The next few swings were similar, 180-190 yards, very high, slight draw and on target. The feel of a well struck shot with these is great. I would really love to get them on real turf, but my guess is these really cut through the turf with ease. I then hit a couple of high fades just to be sure I could, and they didn't disappoint. The shaft on the other hand is not for me. I could not get the ball down. I tried to knock the ball down and just couldn't do it. The ball flight was towering and very pretty to watch, but too high for my taste. Side note, My instructor loved the shaft and was hitting every shot in the book with both the 588 mb and cb. He has a slower swing speed than I do (and is a +2 HC). The sound is tough to gauge off of a mat, but they sounded very good to me. Crisp, solid, and not muted.

Comparison to the Burner 2.0's: head size is noticeably smaller on the 588's and the top lines at address are much more players iron like. I hadn't thought about it, but my mind was used to looking down at the dark color scheme of the 2.0's, so the bright, shiny finish of the 588's was a big change. Not good or bad either way, just different. I figure I lost 7-10 yards of distance, but I feel the shaft and weaker lofts are the reason. If I had KBS tours in 588 cb, I feel I may be deadly! I really thought I would lose a little more distance since they are 3* weaker, but with the right shaft and maybe bending them a degree or two stronger, the distances would be similar.

Overall, I really think the 588 cb's may be my gamers for quite some time. Next week I will get my samples in and we can toy with shafts, but my initial thoughts on the head are all positive.

The mb's are very pretty and were fun to hit as well, but just too much for me. The head is barely bigger than the ball, and I struggled with them. I did hit a few good ones and they were sweet, but seriously, you have to be a great ball striker to game them.

I will post a bunch of pics tomorrow and I also tried to get a good up close video to try a showcase the sound. What a fun night!

Last edited:
Great writeup Tomahawk! I am loving to sounds of the CBs. Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait for the pics/vids.

First time seeing these irons. Beautiful fo sho.

look very clean id love to give them a try

TH - that was some very nice info buddy. I'll pore over it probably have some questions when I have a little more time in the next couple days. Really appreciate you doing this.

Back