2012 Cleveland Mashie Hybrids & Irons

Ahh, gotcha. I'm really curious to the distance difference between the Mashie FW and RBZ FW. I really like the distance of the RBZ, but hitting it off the deck a little scares me, and I use a 3W off the deck quite a bit. Another advantage to having the 3W and hybrid both Mashie is I'd be hitting the same shaft in both, as opposed to different shafts if I were to go to the RBZ/Mashie hybrid route. If the Mashie 3W is 10-15 yards within the RBZ, that may be the way I go.

This is absolutely my same decision. JB can you chime in? Hawk?

I'd still like to know if it's worth upgrading from my current Mashie hybrid to the new one. I haven't seen any of those comparisons yet.

When are these all going to be in stores?

I cant tell someone really how to spend their money or if it is worth upgrading. I like the new sole design more than last years, but think both are tremendous clubs.

I have the RBZ here and continue to use the Mashie FW. I have not lost any distance (3 yards shorter I think) and the Mashie FW is easier for me to control.

How's the offset on the new Mashie hybrid? As much as before?

Your answer on the Mashie FW is REALLY making me lean towards getting one.

Do we have a solid release date on the fairway? Hybrid?

How's the offset on the new Mashie hybrid? As much as before?

Your answer on the Mashie FW is REALLY making me lean towards getting one.

Do we have a solid release date on the fairway? Hybrid?

I believe that they are being released mid-February.

I've been hitting this inside for a while now, but today was the first time I got to hit it outdoors. Aside from my 588 wedges, this club got the most action today. I've liked this club while testing it indoors, but quite frankly, testing a railed club indoors just sort of sucks. I was able to get the best feel for it off the tee, but this club was made to hit the ball from any lie and I was really hoping I could test it on grass for the review. When I realized I had an opportunity to get outside today I knew I had to take it in the interest of this review.

Long story short - Wow. I'd put in the bag tomorrow. Actually, scratch that. It's in my bag today going forward. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with the 15.5° or a 5w/7w, but the 3W will be in the bag. It performed off the tee, off the shorter grass, and out of mid-length rough. I can't think of a better way to test it out than the conditions today. Soggy, muddy, poor grass, you name it. Conditions sucked.

Tee shots were higher than shots off the turf for me. Very nice, powerful trajectory that got very good height. The sound is addicting. It's like the FL and the Mashie hybrid had a baby. Ball flight for me was straight or a little draw, but I didn't see a ton of side spin. I know that there are people that want to know about lefts, so I'll say this. My natural ball flight is already right/left or straight on good swings. I did yank one (pulled) that missed in the left rough off the tee. Interestingly, I was testing another company's railed fairway wood beside the Mashie and I flat-out struggled keeping the ball out of left rough with it. Tee shots with the Mashie surprised me. I did not expect to like it for this purpose as much as I did.

Off the shorter grass I hit shots from all over the course just to say I could, but also did some more formal testing. I had a dozen balls and dropped 6 to hit with the Mashie. 1st one was an awful swing, way fat that shut the face down and was a two foot off the ground hook. Of the next five, four were in a circle I'd say was 10-15 yards from a center point. The center ball was 225 yards, one farther and two slightly shorter. The two shorter shots were both hit a little thick, but the results were still there for a miss. The other ball was to the right of the other 4, barely in the right rough. It's important to note that the conditions were not allowing roll, so I think I could have stretched that yardage out in good conditions. I did hit balls from the same spot with the other railed fairway I'm reviewing and the Mashie just out-performed it and it wasn't even close.

Important to note that big fat misses still will be big fat misses. However, those slight misses were surprisingly forgiven.

Great writeup Hawk. Between you and JB, it's pretty much been solidified for me that a Mashie 3W will be finding it's way into my bag.

I've been hitting this inside for a while now, but today was the first time I got to hit it outdoors. Aside from my 588 wedges, this club got the most action today. I've liked this club while testing it indoors, but quite frankly, testing a railed club indoors just sort of sucks. I was able to get the best feel for it off the tee, but this club was made to hit the ball from any lie and I was really hoping I could test it on grass for the review. When I realized I had an opportunity to get outside today I knew I had to take it in the interest of this review.

Long story short - Wow. I'd put in the bag tomorrow. Actually, scratch that. It's in my bag today going forward. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with the 15.5° or a 5w/7w, but the 3W will be in the bag. It performed off the tee, off the shorter grass, and out of mid-length rough. I can't think of a better way to test it out than the conditions today. Soggy, muddy, poor grass, you name it. Conditions sucked.

Tee shots were higher than shots off the turf for me. Very nice, powerful trajectory that got very good height. The sound is addicting. It's like the FL and the Mashie hybrid had a baby. Ball flight for me was straight or a little draw, but I didn't see a ton of side spin. I know that there are people that want to know about lefts, so I'll say this. My natural ball flight is already right/left or straight on good swings. I did yank one (pulled) that missed in the left rough off the tee. Interestingly, I was testing another company's railed fairway wood beside the Mashie and I flat-out struggled keeping the ball out of left rough with it. Tee shots with the Mashie surprised me. I did not expect to like it for this purpose as much as I did.

Off the shorter grass I hit shots from all over the course just to say I could, but also did some more formal testing. I had a dozen balls and dropped 6 to hit with the Mashie. 1st one was an awful swing, way fat that shut the face down and was a two foot off the ground hook. Of the next five, four were in a circle I'd say was 10-15 yards from a center point. The center ball was 225 yards, one farther and two slightly shorter. The two shorter shots were both hit a little thick, but the results were still there for a miss. The other ball was to the right of the other 4, barely in the right rough. It's important to note that the conditions were not allowing roll, so I think I could have stretched that yardage out in good conditions. I did hit balls from the same spot with the other railed fairway I'm reviewing and the Mashie just out-performed it and it wasn't even close.

Important to note that big fat misses still will be big fat misses. However, those slight misses were surprisingly forgiven.
Wow, great stuff Hawk. My RBZ may be making a quick trip back to Vans (love the 90 day return policy). I love my Mashie hybrids and currently game the 17 degree FL fairway. Cleveland (with Miyazaki shafts) have really won me over.

I'd say the shaft is plenty stout, but has a great feel to it.

I know I mentioned it earlier, but the one I have is 42.75 inches, which is the length that Cleveland now shows on their sell material.

Hawk you are making it hard to resist the Mashie FW

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Hawk, that write-up is seriously making me ponder...

Hawk you are making it hard to resist the Mashie FW

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Hawk, that write-up is seriously making me ponder...

I'm not in the business of telling people what to do, but I think it's a must-try. I also think it's almost a must that it isn't demo'd on a mat. It comes to life outside.

Nice write up Hawk. I love that you tested it in the soggy, muddy, conditions because we have those quite often in the Pacific NW! You are really making me want to hit this club!

I'm not in the business of telling people what to do, but I think it's a must-try. I also think it's almost a must that it isn't demo'd on a mat. It comes to life outside.

This was the big thing for me. The club absolutely shines when hitting it off the turf and how easy it is to play.

Ya Hawk thanks for putting me in ponder mode even more, I was pretty much set on the RBZ 3 wood but I am def waiting until I can hit both as this one sounds awesome. I know JB has been praising it and now you.

This was the big thing for me. The club absolutely shines when hitting it off the turf and how easy it is to play.

I think this is really the turning point for me. The RBZ seems great off the tee, but questionable off the turf. That's great except for I use my 3 wood quite a bit off the turf depending on the course. Accuracy is pretty important to me, and it just seems the Mashie is the way to go. Plus, it seems comparable in distance, they just didn't push the distance gains as hard as TM.

The first time I hit it a little thick I found that out. You can almost feel it slide instead dig. I thought it was really solid off the tee too.

For me the RBZ FW Wood is a very solid club. However off the deck, it is just like every other FW I have hit. This club is extremely different. It wont have the flash of the marketing campaign and you wont hear claims of 971 yards further than the previous year. Although as i said, I hit the Mashie FW farther than that of the RBZ, although the loft is different.

For me the RBZ FW Wood is a very solid club. However off the deck, it is just like every other FW I have hit. This club is extremely different. It wont have the flash of the marketing campaign and you wont hear claims of 971 yards further than the previous year. Although as i said, I hit the Mashie FW farther than that of the RBZ, although the loft is different.

You hit the 14* Mashie, correct?

I do and its not going anywhere.

Roger that. That's the same loft I'm contemplating. I have them in my cart right now at Golfsmith, just because I have a giftcard there.

And that is what draws me to the Mashie, sounds like it is so easy to hit out of any lie and the turf interaction sounds great! I tend to get steep and I really think the rails will help me from digging and hitting that fat shot every once in awhile.

I do and its not going anywhere.

Any problems with the 14* not getting enough height?

And that is what draws me to the Mashie, sounds like it is so easy to hit out of any lie and the turf interaction sounds great! I tend to get steep and I really think the rails will help me from digging and hitting that fat shot every once in awhile.

Any problems with the 14* not getting enough height?

None at all for me.

It's hard to tell visually, but I'd say that I hit the 15.5 a similar height off the tee as my 17° FL. I easily hit it higher more consistently off the turf.

It's hard to tell visually, but I'd say that I hit the 15.5 a similar height off the tee as my 17° FL. I easily hit it higher more consistently off the turf.

Thats awesome Hawk, so the 14* shouldnt be a problem for people. I get the ball up quick with my FW. I cant wait to try this one out.

Back