rghilljr

Reaction score
Handicap
I'll throw this out there and see if you guys can help me.......I fight a slice and can play it fairly well. I play a PING G10 9* with a standard PING regular flex shaft and hit the ball pretty high. I know that I lose a ton of distance because of it. Besides the lessons and fitting, any suggestions that might help with this until I can getthe lessons and fitting?

Thanks for the question. If you are slicing the ball the clubface is open at impact and causing side spin. As well, your path is likely outside to in causing even more side spin. It is important to address the clubface first. The first thing to check is always the placement of your hands when dealing with clubface issues, so make sure your left and right hand creases (sometimes referred to as the V between your pointer finger and thumb) are pointed between the right of your head and right shoulder. It is okay for your left hand to be a little on top of the grip and the right on the side. Then really work on the clubface pointing to the ground on your takeaway, this will create more of a closed clubface. A good checkpoint is the right hand more on top in the takeaway, many people who fight a slice roll the right hand on the bottom and open the clubface. Then check your top position, where your clubface should now point more to the sky. On the way down make sure the clubface again points to the ground as well as feeling like the top gets to the ball first.

The best way to practice this is in slow motion to feel and see the change. As well, you can only have your right arm on the club and take practice swings without a ball to feel better clubface control.

I hope this helps, keep us updated on your progress.

Josh Miller
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thanks for the question. If you are slicing the ball the clubface is open at impact and causing side spin. As well, your path is likely outside to in causing even more side spin. It is important to address the clubface first. The first thing to check is always the placement of your hands when dealing with clubface issues, so make sure your left and right hand creases (sometimes referred to as the V between your pointer finger and thumb) are pointed between the right of your head and right shoulder. It is okay for your left hand to be a little on top of the grip and the right on the side. Then really work on the clubface pointing to the ground on your takeaway, this will create more of a closed clubface. A good checkpoint is the right hand more on top in the takeaway, many people who fight a slice roll the right hand on the bottom and open the clubface. Then check your top position, where your clubface should now point more to the sky. On the way down make sure the clubface again points to the ground as well as feeling like the top gets to the ball first.

The best way to practice this is in slow motion to feel and see the change. As well, you can only have your right arm on the club and take practice swings without a ball to feel better clubface control.

Josh Miller
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

that's some awesome stuff Josh-how should you start the downswing exactly? Hips first?

Josh Miller
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thank you sir!!!

This is great advice.......I always rotate the club on my takeaway. My question is, at what point does the club rotation begin? Should the face of the club be facing away from you before wrist hinge? Keeping the clubface pointing toward the ground, then towards the sky at the top position may really help my slice as well. I'll give it a try!

Last edited:
Work on feeling like the hips start the downswing by turning. Be careful that you aren't turning the shoulders from the top, you need to feel the separation of the hips and shoulders for better path. Again make sure the clubface is square in backswing and downswing before addressing this part of the swing. Good luck!

Josh Miller
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back