jozment

Reaction score
Handicap
A few months ago, I was lucky enough to have my wife get me a fitting for irons at Golf Tec. Went through it, had a great deal of fun learning about my swing, got a good fit. The computer told me Mizuno JPX-800's were best fit for me; the only problem, is the guy at golf tec who fitted me said i could go standard length and standard lie. No problem, right?

Well, I am on the cusp of 1/2" short and standard length. I don't like the way the standard length feels- I have to choke down on the clubs to feel in control. My problem is this- since then, I've been fit 2 other times- once at my country club, once at a golf shop (good to get a lot of information). Each fitting has been different. My original golf tec fitting, my fitter told me I would be ok with standard but if I wanted to, I could go 1/2" shorter and 1/2 degree upright to even it out. Pro at the country club said same thing- I could go standard/standard, but if I went 1/2" short, I would need to go 1/2 flat in order to even it out. The final fitting, i was told 1/4" short but my lie would stay the same.

How can 3 different fitters give me 3 different sets of information? I tend to trust computers (maybe too much?), so I want to go with golf tec's recommendation (after all, it gave me 3 iron options, told me mizunos would be best, and i hit them tons better than the rest). If I do go 1/2" short, how should my lie angle be adjusted accordingly? If i went with standard/standard, it would be no problem, obviously. But as I said, I don't feel comfortable with standard length clubs and I feel like 1/2" would be better for me.

Sorry for the rambling or if it doesn't make a lot of sense but I'm fairly confused on this and am trying to make sense of the information. Thanks in advance for the help!

You may not have gotten bad information ......

All specs for different OEM's are slightly different. The Mizunos, if I remember correctly, are slightly flatter to start with. It may be the reason you hit them the best at that time. Also remember not even a pro's swing it consistent day in and out.

I would say the three are close if a person considers all variables involved in the swing and equipment.

hackin

If you're 1/2" short, and the clubs are shortened to compensate why would that affect the lie? Simple geometry should dictate keeping the angle the same. If you used regular length clubs, but were shorter (thus closer to the ground) then flattening the lie but keeping standard length makes sense to me. I'm sure it's much more compicated than that though.

If you're 1/2" short, and the clubs are shortened to compensate why would that affect the lie? Simple geometry should dictate keeping the angle the same. If you used regular length clubs, but were shorter (thus closer to the ground) then flattening the lie but keeping standard length makes sense to me. I'm sure it's much more compicated than that though.
Check any spec sheet of a set of clubs to see how less length affects lie angles... Longer length affects as well. Otherwise, every club in your bag would have the same lie angle no matter length?

If it were me, I would go the 1/2 shorter and 1/2 degree upright. Although, the 1/2 upright may not be that noticable unless you are really picky and can tell the difference. I would go the fitting cart and grab and club standard length and 1 degree upright. Choke up 1/2 in and see what type of results you get. Not sure if this the best way, but this what I would do if I didn't want to pay for another fitting.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Actually if you run the numbers you'll find that even a degree can have a huge impact on effective length of the club. For example, let's say your club is 37" long std with a lie of 62*. If you just adjust the lie angle 2* upright, the grip will rise by ~0.59". Basic trigonometry dictates this: diff = length * (sin(new_lie) - sin(std_lie))

Your posture shouldn't change significantly for your particular swing style. This means that your hand position should be the same for a specific club and therefore the length must change with lie angle. A previous set of clubs I ran was +1/2", +2* while my current set is std, +3*. For the example club above, this means my new clubs put my hands ~1/8-1/5" lower than the previous set, which is well within gripping adjustments based on terrain. I went with the more upright configuration because I wanted a lighter swing weight with a steeper plane, all without having to change my setup.

What clubs were you fit for each time? different sets have different specs from the start, so a certain set may fit one way, and another may not...
ex/ My Ci-11's are +1'' 2*up
The pings I was fit for:
G20 +1'' 3* up

Would it be possible for you to pick out say a Mizuno 7 iron and have them do the three different adjustments for you while on the monitor at Golftec? I don't know how comfortable you are choking down but since you trust the monitors this should solve your problem. You are spending to much money not to be fit properly. Do they not have a Mizuno fitting cart?

Would it be possible for you to pick out say a Mizuno 7 iron and have them do the three different adjustments for you while on the monitor at Golftec? I don't know how comfortable you are choking down but since you trust the monitors this should solve your problem. You are spending to much money not to be fit properly. Do they not have a Mizuno fitting cart?

that in and of itself is another problem i have. i actually like choking down on the standard length as i feel much more in control of my swing (obviously). problem is, i feel like im choking down too much. it feels just a tad bit too long.

as for being fitted for the specific ones, i was originally fit with std/std and i hit them GREAT- but i was choking down. i also got fit with 1/2* upright and 1/2" short at a local course that had the mizuno fitting system, and hit those about the same- only difference is because i wasnt choking down i had a tendency to over swing and not make solid contact. tried both on the range that day, actually, and there really wasnt much of a difference in ball flight, distance or accuracy, minus the few over swings. the shorter just felt better because i wasnt self conscious about the extra club between my hands and my stomach. i was not, however, fitted for 1/2" short and 1/2* flat or standard- it didnt click in my mind to try that.

the biggest problem with me now, is the JPX 800's are on for a $100 off at golfsmith (and with the way my set up is, it would probably be more than that- i dont need the 4 iron or GW) so im really tempted to get the 800's (std/std) since i wouldnt be able to get them custom fitted lie angle wise.

that being said, i know some clubs you can adjust the lie angle at golfsmith, others you cant. would it be worth it to ask golfsmith if its something they would be able to do?

Back