Building a Driver (Cleveland Classic)

bbuonic81

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 13.1
I am guessing that this information has been posted before, but I am struggling to find it in a timely manner - any help would be appreciated.

I've been pondering joining the shorter shafted, higher lofted, low launch shaft driver experiment for a while now. I stumbled across a couple of seemingly good condition Miyazaki Kusala Black pulls for decent money on the 'bay and it has my curiocity piqued just about to the point of purchase. I am thinking of pairing it with a 12 degree Cleveland Classic 290 head and I have a couple of questions for anyone who's tried this same combo or has some club building experience.

First, when it comes to driver/wood shafts, is there a difference between a 3 wood shaft and a driver shaft other than length?

Second, if I am looking to have this driver play around 44 or 44.25 inches, would I be better off purchasing a driver shaft at 43.5 inches and cutting it down or getting a 3 wood shaft at 42 inches?

Third, about how much longer would the shaft play installed in a driver (specifically a Classic if anyone knows) head?

Fourth, does anyone who's playing a non-stock shaft in the Classic know what the swing weight change would be with the shorter/heavier shaft in that head? I'd prefer the club to play somewhere in the D4-D6 range - has anyone had success with a hotmelt with the Classic?

Fifth, where would be the best place to purchase just a 12 degree head? Or at this point is it better to just get the whole driver on sale somewhere and have the shaft pulled?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Back