Worst shot you've ever hit

wadesworld

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I expect to update this thread regularly, but I thought it would be fun to catalog what we currently rank as our worst shot ever.

For me, when I was about 14-years-old, I was playing with my parents in the North Carolina mountains. I swung so far over the top of a drive, that it hit directly on the back of my club, sending the ball 90-degrees off the tee, between my legs, and nearly hitting my mother sitting in the cart.

Ah, the memories....

once when i was younger (i think i was 13 maybe?), i was in an adjacent fairway with tall oaks seperating my hole and the following, running to the right of mine. i hit a dead shank to the right, it hit off a tree and struck a woman in a cart on the other hole. i had no idea i hit her till i went looking for my ball. i've never felt so bad on a course

Like most, I have hit shanks, flubs, etc., on the course. But one sticks out vividly in my mind.

When I first started playing, I played a "power fade". Grip it and rip it style. There were a line of homes left on a par 5. I succesfully hit my drive, starting out over the houses and fading onto the fairway. I had the distance to reach in two. I pulled out my 4 iron, aimed left over the houses again and hit it as hard as I could. It flew off the club face like a bullet... unfortunately, it was a very high pull draw. Uhmmm... not sure what exactly it hit, but I am pretty sure it was a car parked in a driveway of the second row of houses. whoa.

I expect to update this thread regularly, but I thought it would be fun to catalog what we currently rank as our worst shot ever.

For me, when I was about 14-years-old, I was playing with my parents in the North Carolina mountains. I swung so far over the top of a drive, that it hit directly on the back of my club, sending the ball 90-degrees off the tee, between my legs, and nearly hitting my mother sitting in the cart.

Ah, the memories....

It's probably not the worst shot that I've ever hit, but it's one that I can remember just like it was yesterday.
My friends and I were playing 160 yard par 3 that's situated parallel to a highway that's about 30 yards to the left of the hole. The course is a wide open layout and the wind is gusting right to left pretty hard. I proceeded to hit a huge hook that ended up on the other side of the highway. I can still see that little white dimpled demon soaring off to the left. Haha!

Do I have to pick just one? Because the possibilities are endless.

Probably earlier this year, and I have never done this on anything other than a chip before. T.C. Chin for ya, but with a freaking hybrid off the tee. I swung, made contact with the face of the club, but somehow, also made contact with the hosel on my follow through, sending the shot dying left, falling out of the sky like a wounded duck. I have no idea how I did it, but I did. My Dad and another friend was playing with me at the time and they both just looked at me, as if to say "WTF just happened". I said "Did you hear that s**t? I hit that ball twice somehow!". Like I said, I have done it a few times on a chip, but NEVER off a tee or anywhere else for that fact.

I was in my 2nd year of playing... decided I wanted to play in a tournament with some buddies. At this time, I can shoot about 100, so I was the worst of the 4 man team.

We are the first group off for the day on hole one, so of course, you have loads of people watching you from the putting green, clubhouse and wherever else.

First guy goes off and hit a good shot, just on the right rough. Up comes Slice (myself). I am as nervous as ever just cause of everyone watching. I line up, take a practice swing and address the ball. Backswing, downswing and SMACKKKKKK... It made an awkward sound, but I continue to the follow thru and did not see the ball for the life of me. So, im gazing to the right and a quiet laughter breaks out. I am clueless, so to pick up my tee and I see my ball completely buried 3 inches from my tee. I topped the ball so bad, it sunk down 3 inches in front of my freaking tee.

Talk about embarrassment!? I was devistated.

Managed to strike a chip shot with the back of the club. Yes, I turned my hands around 180* on the downswing and hit the ball with the back of the club. And it went to 2ft from the hole. Worst strike ever, but great result.

Worst shot ever...hmmm...oh that's an easy one for me.
Early Spring about 20 years ago. Early morning tee time, wet grass everywhere, almost too wet to play.
1st hole is a shortish dogleg left that I can just about get to the green if I kill it.
I hit a hosel rocket that goes dead left at about 450 mph...right towards the 9th green where a guy is coming off of.
He is only about 30 yards away and sees the ball coming right at his head. He belly flops to keep from having his head taken off.
When he gets up, he is soaked from head to toe. I was so embarrased I tried to pay for his round as an apology, but he refused.

Hosel rocketed a ball off the fairway straight into OB. Did the same with the second one

In a tournament I thought a 6 was my 9 and didnt think twice and ripped it 50+ yds past my intended location. Bad day.

4th hole Sunday at the Morgan Cup. My drive went about 20 yards and straight left into a water hazard. That was my 2nd worst shot. Worst shot was trying to play that ball. 2nd shot went straight into the water.

Bad shots are amplified by the number of people you do not know watching or "affected" by your shot.

My worst shot was years ago when I was playing a par 3 course with friends. I shanked a shot on 18, hitting the window of the pro shop/bar. People came out to see who played the bank shot. Luckily the windows had screens so no broken glass, but it made one heck of a bang.

My second day of work out here at a company scramble. I had only played once in the last 10 years. I set up on the tee on 1, and proceed to hit a low drive really solid, but pushed it and it smacked off a tree that was literally 20 feet in front of the tee box haha

My worst shot ever was on a chipping green at a course before a local junior tournament. I tried to hit a flop and it bounced off one of those huge bay windows of the clubhouse. Luckily no harm, no foul.

Worst shot on a course was when I was probably 12 or 13, I skulled a 4 iron from the fairway and it went through our playing partners cart. Luckily, he was standing behind the cart and no one was hurt, but it was still pretty awful to say the least.

I almost killed War Eagle at the Morgan Cup this year. I was playing out of a bunker and he was standing behind me. I shanked it so bad it hit the lip of the bunker flew backwards over his head by only 6 inchs.

I had another few years ago where i hit an insane slice onto the hole adjacent to us, hitting a kid square on the shoulder. We all roared as we knew where it was going. When I got up to him i apologized but the poor kid was crying, his friend was bent over laughing. I actually felt really bad

I hit a really bad slice that went over a 4 lane street and then landed in a mcdonalds parking lot. Luckily it didnt hit any cars hehe.

A couple of years ago I yanked a tee shot way left that proceeded to go into a giant oak tree about 40 yards away. Me and my buddies heard the ball hit and rattle around the tree but no one saw it come out. A couple seconds later the ball landed in the tee box a few feet behind me. Needless to say we all had a good chuckle about that one.

Oh man, where to start. I guess I will go with this year. Can a 300+ drive be your worst shot...yes it can. Par 5 dogleg right (almost 90 degrees) landing spot is in the fairway perpendicular to your drive direction. Houses running up the left hand side and then bhind 15-20yds of woods beyond the fairway. On this hole I aim about 75yds right of the houses, then a 300yd drive ends up in the fairway. I hit a dead bomb pull, running right along the left edge of the fairway, over the woods and smack into a house. Loudest noise I have ever heard on a golf course. Sounded like a rifle being shot right next to your ear.

during my very first elimination match to tell who would play the 5th varsity spot for the HS golf team, on the first hole. mashed my drive about 280 (no roll/plugged, the course we play at is the wettest place in Oregon that time of year) line up to my second shot, MASSIVE SHANK. I don't know how it didn't go into the water.. and the guy I was playing against hit his shot thin... it hit the pin and dropped about 2 feet away. he made bird, i was hardly on the green in three... pissed me off so much.

A year ago I was at Bandon with my best friend. We were paired up with a very nice father and son combo. So we had me, the uber uber hacker, and 3 sticks. I had been playing like once a year in the preceding 10 years and I was definitely nervous. I swung and missed from the tees ... four separate times during that round. Those four worst shots ever ended up being a blessing in disguise. I was so embarrassed and humiliated that I dedicated myself to getting more serious about the game. I've gone from uber-hacker to mere normal hacker since then. Yeah for progress :)

I shanked a mid iron so bad it went almost straight right. I thought it was going to decapitate my friend. Scared the crap out of me.

Mine came at a college tournament last year. I was on the 3rd tee box that was right beside the clubhouse, 440 yard up hill par 4 where you had to carry 200 yards of water to hit the fairway. All of the coaches and family members were standing there watching as I proceeded to top my tee shot straight into the drink. Luckily I re-teed and hit the next shot 275 right down the middle. So I guess I didnt look like a complete hacker. Lol

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

I've had so many bad ones over the years that it's hard to say which one was the worst. I did have a funny one once.....I teed off on a short-ish par 4 never thinking I'd never come close to the green with my capabilities at the time. Well, I got ahold of it good and sent the ball heading right for the group on the green. I wasn't afraid of hurting anyone but didn't want to hit close/into their group. As luck would have it, the ball begins fading and takes a huge bounce toward the group's golf carts as they are walking back to the carts and then I lost sight of it. We yell fore, just in case and a second later, the guys start cheering. We walked up there ready to apologize and they waited for us....I'm thinking "oh no". When we get up to them I ask where the ball went....one of the guys points to his ball cap hanging from his cart handle and theres my ball in his hat. We all had a laugh about it.

Mine came earlier this year. I drove my ball a little right on a par 4 that is a big dog leg right. I was only about 130 or so away for my second shot but couldn't see the green from where I was. The right side has a couple tall trees and a barn that line the rough and make it tougher to cut the corner on this hole. Thankfully I'm left of most of the trees and the barn. I have plenty of space in front of me, all I need to do now is hit a cut around the last tree (the only thing between me and the hole). I haven't hit an iron shot that has faded in forever so I figure if I really exaggerate it I can make it cut (how hard can it be?). Plus I have a PW in my hands so it shouldn't be too difficult... Well, I take my swing and try to open the face and wind up hitting a hosel rocket straight right into the barn which is about 5 yards to my right. The ball bounces off the side of the barn and flies right past me and my group a couple yards in front of us. The ball winds up in the middle of the fairway. I turn to them and say, "Perfect pitch out into the fairway, just as I planned." We all shared a good laugh. Thankfully we are all able to share a good laugh because it didn't catch anyone and wound up being in good position to hit a wedge for my 3rd shot. While the result turned out fine, the shot itself was absolutely embarrassing. The sound it made when it hit the barn had to of been heard by half the course.

Like most, I've had plenty of bad shots, but my most recent was on an outing about a month ago. The wind was howling that day and I must have teed my ball up a little too high. I got underneath of it, but it shot pretty much straight up went over the ladies tees, hung up in the air for a sec and then started blowing back toward us. Stopped back right next to the tee box. Craziest thing any of us had seen. I've seen tee shots pop straight up, but never forward over the front tees and then back at you. LOL

Back